OT: Murray Bartow

I lived in Johnson City for 8 years. ETSU is a nice program. Plays in a lower level Div 1 conference, Atlantic Sun. Most years they win it and get in to the NCAAs. Used to see about 8-9 games a year. They were especially fun to watch in the early 90's when they played in the Southern Conf and had a small little guard named Mr Jennings.

The town and local business gives them plenty of support. So you can be a big fish in a small pond. Only downside is they, when I lived in Johnson City, played in the Memorial Coliseum. It is a indoor football stadium that seats about 17,000 for football (which they terminated a few years ago). Even with portable seats and curtains you still can't have that intimate basketball environment when you average between 4-8000 a game.

Its a shame Brad could not land something like this. If he did well at this level might help on moving up.

I lived in Johnson City for 8 years. ETSU is a nice program. Plays in a lower level Div 1 conference, Atlantic Sun. Most years they win it and get in to the NCAAs. Used to see about 8-9 games a year. They were especially fun to watch in the early 90's when they played in the Southern Conf and had a small little guard named Mr Jennings.

The town and local business gives them plenty of support. So you can be a big fish in a small pond. Only downside is they, when I lived in Johnson City, played in the Memorial Coliseum. It is a indoor football stadium that seats about 17,000 for football (which they terminated a few years ago). Even with portable seats and curtains you still can't have that intimate basketball environment when you average between 4-8000 a game.

Its a shame Brad could not land something like this. If he did well at this level might help on moving up.

Only a few weeks ago, Brad and his wife again have said that of all the places they have lived, they consider St. Charles to be their "home." If Lindenwood were located somewhere else, it almost certain that that Brad would not have chosen Lindenwood. Coming home to St. Charles, though, is another story and Brad and his family are really excited.

Also, I found it interesting that Lindenwood might even consider changing to D1. I know for a fact that Lindenwood almost closed its doors 15 years ago and its enrollment had dropped to a little more than 1000 students back then. Since then, Lindenwood has been extremely agressive in changing every aspect -- going from a "college" to a "university", increasing enrollment to over 10,000 students (more than SLU!!), acquiring hundreds of surrounding homes for students, acquiring/removing a mobile home park and several business, building new dorms, building a basketball/sports venue and performing arts building and then agressively bringing in sporting venues like national wrestling championships, etc. I would not be surprised if Lindenwood became D1 and, if so, Brad would be the perfect man to lead the way. Could be a perfect fit for Brad.

I'd love to live in a town with a Cards minor league team. I usually take a trip a year to see someone play. Minor league baseball is the best, when we went to Memphis to see Wallace play 4th of July weekend we sat 5 rows behind home plate just looking over the catchers right shoulder for $16. a ticket. Can't beat it. Did you watch the Johnson City Cards much?

I'd love to live in a town with a Cards minor league team. I usually take a trip a year to see someone play. Minor league baseball is the best, when we went to Memphis to see Wallace play 4th of July weekend we sat 5 rows behind home plate just looking over the catchers right shoulder for $16. a ticket. Can't beat it. Did you watch the Johnson City Cards much?

Yea, JC Cards had been my first experience in seeing Rookie League ball. Remember when they demoted Ankiel to Johnson City and seen him play.

They play in a neat little stadium. Maybe seats 2 or 3000. Lived very close to where the Elizabethton Twins, also of the Appy League, played. Elzabethton is the town just next to Johnson City.

Concerning Brad, maybe he will do well at Lindenwood, I wish him well. I liked Brad and wished he did better. If they are moving D1, it won't be easy with no conference, established tradition, fan base, etc... If he went to a school like ETSU, they have all that. Also Clock, don't you think he was trying to make the best out of so-so situation? What is he going to say? Knowing Brad and his competitiveness, he jump at a legitimate D1 offer. Also, not to mention a major salary increase.

An interesting history of the rise of Lindenwood by a talented reporter who happens to be a SLU grad.

It's fairly old, but also fairly eye-opening. Does anyone on this board have any first-hand experience with Lindenwood's academics?

And I'd be absolutely shocked if Lindenwood tried to go D1. I just don't see the economics.

Yes. My sister in law obtained her undergrad and then masters at LU. Initially, I helped her get into the school by means of a very generous scholarship for agreeing to provide service work -- agreeing to join LU's struggling "Circle K" club sponosored by my local Kiwanis Club. Spellman was all about service work which is where he got the money for the federal grants. In short, grants are given for service related groups, classes and internships. Most schools leave it to the student find out about these opportunities and to volunteer on their own. Spellman didn't. He actually changed LU's curriculum to require a certain amount of such classes and internships as part of their core curriculum in order to graduate. In short, if you want to graduate at LU, you must do service and then for each service hour performed, Dr. Spellman collected money from the federal government in grant money!! Spellman also cut deals with local businesses and service/charitable groups for his students to perform such work and to fund scholarship endowments. He offered to double/triple our Kiwanis Club's endowed funds (with federal monies) if we promised to continued providing scholarship monies. In this case, he leveraged monies w/o putting up any money himself. In addition, local farmers paid their tuition in the form of crops, hogs, etc. The list goes on. In essence, Dr. Spellman made deals with every group and on all fronts and Lindenwood grew and grew.

Yes. My sister in law obtained her undergrad and then masters at LU. Initially, I helped her get into the school by means of a very generous scholarship for agreeing to provide service work -- agreeing to join LU's struggling "Circle K" club sponosored by my local Kiwanis Club. Spellman was all about service work which is where he got the money for the federal grants. In short, grants are given for service related groups, classes and internships. Most schools leave it to the student find out about these opportunities and to volunteer on their own. Spellman didn't. He actually changed LU's curriculum to require a certain amount of such classes and internships as part of their core curriculum in order to graduate. In short, if you want to graduate at LU, you must do service and then for each service hour performed, Dr. Spellman collected money from the federal government in grant money!! Spellman also cut deals with local businesses and service/charitable groups for his students to perform such work and to fund scholarship endowments. He offered to double/triple our Kiwanis Club's endowed funds (with federal monies) if we promised to continued providing scholarship monies. In this case, he leveraged monies w/o putting up any money himself. In addition, local farmers paid their tuition in the form of crops, hogs, etc. The list goes on. In essence, Dr. Spellman made deals with every group and on all fronts and Lindenwood grew and grew.

Let us all hope it does not end like the boom expansion of Tarkio College about 20 years ago. I have no information about this but doubt there are shortcuts to the top of the heap in universities. I would like to see a major school arise in St. Charles which is a boom town itself. SIUE and UMSL have

certainly worked hard for 30 years to reach their present rankings.

-as the article portrays, not everyone at lindenwood thought highly of spellman and not everyone in st charles thinks highly of lindenwood

-i remember seeing an artilce speculating what was going to happen to the campus when the school closed, spellman not only avoided closure, he bought much of the surrounding neighborhoods, with the help of local govt and to the dislike of more than a few

-but enough from me on lindenwood

-as the article portrays, not everyone at lindenwood thought highly of spellman and not everyone in st charles thinks highly of lindenwood

-i remember seeing an artilce speculating what was going to happen to the campus when the school closed, spellman not only avoided closure, he bought much of the surrounding neighborhoods, with the help of local govt and to the dislike of more than a few

-but enough from me on lindenwood

You're absolutely right. Not all were Dr. Spellman fans. Many longtime faculty were forced out, demoted and, not sure, but believe had tenure compromised/withdrawn. Many local property owners now live next to students and are not thrilled. Lindenwood also is said to have block-busted - made offers to purchase and when not accepted, agressively bought surrounding properties, etc. Others are not happy that several business are now gone and that the taxrolls have suffered with less private businesses and private homes.