OT: NBA Draft

Pistol

The drafting of players from rival teams is way down on the list and would never be anything that I would "root" for. How can you go for 4 years of hating a guy and then turnaround and hope he does well?

Actually, it isn't so hard, Postcard. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T. It's the same way that I can "hate" Larry Bird for years and then root for him as part of the Dream Team. It must be even more intense for the players -- "bitter" rivals one day, on the same all-star team the next day. Battle against each other for two to four years in college and then play on the same team in the pros. They have a healthy respect for one another. Fans can do the same thing.

It's not really true emotional hatred. Rather, it's a willed choice because of competition. But the competition doesn't have to lead to true hatred. So, yes, you can "hate" a guy for four years and then hope he does well at the next level for the sake of conference prestige, from which your team gets a trickle-down benefit. If you can't understand these things, you may have had the wrong ideas about competition instilled in you during your youth and ought to seek cognitive-behavior therapy (counseling) to learn how it may work better.

Heck, the players on a team compete against one another in practice for playing time but then go live, study, and play together and be life-long friends and battle together and cheer for each other. They have healthy respect for one another and healthy concepts of competition.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it isn't so hard, Postcard. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T. It's the same way that I can "hate" Larry Bird for years and then root for him as part of the Dream Team. It must be even more intense for the players -- "bitter" rivals one day, on the same all-star team the next day. Battle against each other for two to four years in college and then play on the same team in the pros. They have a healthy respect for one another. Fans can do the same thing.

It's not really true emotional hatred. Rather, it's a willed choice because of competition. But the competition doesn't have to lead to true hatred. So, yes, you can "hate" a guy for four years and then hope he does well at the next level for the sake of conference prestige, from which your team gets a trickle-down benefit. If you can't understand these things, you may have had the wrong ideas about competition instilled in you during your youth and ought to seek cognitive-behavior therapy (counseling) to learn how it may work better.

Heck, the players on a team compete against one another in practice for playing time but then go live, study, and play together and be life-long friends and battle together and cheer for each other. They have healthy respect for one another and healthy concepts of competition.

Baloney Thicks. Don't give me this Respect logic. This is college basketball. During the season we convene on here and openly disparage the opposing opponents, univerisites, towns, refereries, etc. We show little respect for anyone. Take that Kumbaya garbage elsewhere.

Can you please poing out to me(which no one has done) how the draftings and success of A10 players has helped the conference and MORE SPECIFICALLY the Billikens? By my account there are 10 A10 players in the NBA now that were drafted from 1993 - 1999. Counting the two that were drafted this year(and assuming they both make their squads) there will be 10 A10 players in the NBA drafted between 2000 - 2009. You would think the league would have received a bump in talent and we would have more players now then we did then. As mentioned on here numerous times, the A10 TV contract stinks. There are teams in the A10 that certain members of this board want banished. Please explaing these trickle down benefits that we're receiving. As I mentioned before, the success and drafting of players from other A10 schools is way down the list of what's important to help the Billikens transform into a sweet 16 team.

HATE HATE HATE.

Baloney Thicks. Don't give me this Respect logic. This is college basketball. During the season we convene on here and openly disparage the opposing opponents, univerisites, towns, refereries, etc. We show little respect for anyone. Take that Kumbaya garbage elsewhere.

Can you please poing out to me(which no one has done) how the draftings and success of A10 players has helped the conference and MORE SPECIFICALLY the Billikens? By my account there are 10 A10 players in the NBA now that were drafted from 1993 - 1999. Counting the two that were drafted this year(and assuming they both make their squads) there will be 10 A10 players in the NBA drafted between 2000 - 2009. You would think the league would have received a bump in talent and we would have more players now then we did then. As mentioned on here numerous times, the A10 TV contract stinks. There are teams in the A10 that certain members of this board want banished. Please explaing these trickle down benefits that we're receiving. As I mentioned before, the success and drafting of players from other A10 schools is way down the list of what's important to help the Billikens transform into a sweet 16 team.

You're the one spewing baloney. I can watch a guy torch my team for 40 points and applaud him. If I see him years later, I can shake his hand and reminisce about how he did us in way back when. Sports is entertainment -- even college basketball -- so I respect the role that both my teams and their opponents play. It's not like he stole my girlfriend or spat on my kids. "Kumbaya garbage"? Read Luke 16:19-32 (for the attitude in the text, not the scenario). I can't and won't lose my "Kumbaya" attitude, because it's part of who I am: if you don't like it, maybe you're the one who should go somewhere else.

I talked with other Billikens fans at the all-star game Saturday, and there were mentions of other teams SLU shares a conference with and they all revolved around the idea that what's good for other A-10 teams will help SLU in the long run. Perhaps you're the only one with "a clue," Postcard.

You're the one spewing baloney. I can watch a guy torch my team for 40 points and applaud him. If I see him years later, I can shake his hand and reminisce about how he did us in way back when. Sports is entertainment -- even college basketball -- so I respect the role that both my teams and their opponents play. It's not like he stole my girlfriend or spat on my kids. "Kumbaya garbage"? Read Luke 16:19-32 (for the attitude in the text, not the scenario). I can't and won't lose my "Kumbaya" attitude, because it's part of who I am: if you don't like it, maybe you're the one who should go somewhere else.

I talked with other Billikens fans at the all-star game Saturday, and there were mentions of other teams SLU shares a conference with and they all revolved around the idea that what's good for other A-10 teams will help SLU in the long run. Perhaps you're the only one with "a clue," Postcard.

Ned Flanders, err, I mean Thicks, I'll ask for a third time, please explain these trickle down benefits that we're receiving as a result of players from other A10 teams getting drafted.

Wow, trying to get caught up on some Billiken news and after wading through this garbage today, I have to ask the same question. The "postcard" seems to butt into every discussion serving no other purpose other than to be disruptive. I think it is time for his parents to take control of their email account.

That sums it up. After his NBA draft thread which was so obviously a weak attempt to start an argument was ignored, he decided to try to hijack Pistol's NBA draft thread, which actually contained some good discussion.

That sums it up. After his NBA draft thread which was so obviously a weak attempt to start an argument was ignored, he decided to try to hijack Pistol's NBA draft thread, which actually contained some good discussion.

Ace, you never responded to my flip flopper accusation. I wonder why. If the truth fits.........

I've had a good discussion in this thread about the NBA draft. Perhaps you missed the good stuff. Maybe you can tell me why Nivins getting drafted will help SLU. Or perhaps you can regale us again about that one away game you went to that one time so we can all remember what a great fan you are. YOu always bring so much to the discussion.....................

Ned Flanders, err, I mean Thicks, I'll ask for a third time, please explain these trickle down benefits that we're receiving as a result of players from other A10 teams getting drafted.

I don't need to explain. You're the only one with a clue; I don't dare try to explain anything to you, because you already know. I apologize for having a different opinion.

Nice job with the Ned Flowers allusion, albeit I'm more complex and not as nice (and not so dogmatic). How's it feel to be Homer Simpson (not that I ever watch The Simpsons)?

regardless of whether this "trickle down" theory is working or not, one thing is sure, there is not one thing good billikenwise about your tiger player getting drafted. if you compare the two, there is at least some kind of sane thought about what's good for the a-10 is good for the billikens. there is nothing good for the billikens with your tigers.

Yes, I noticed the "postcard" is doing his best to try to ruin yet another good discussion. Pathetic. I hate to burst his bubble, but I have run across many Missouri fans who root for other Big 12 teams to do well in the Tournament or in bowl games. It is either willful ignorance or just plain ignorance on his part.

I don't need to explain. You're the only one with a clue; I don't dare try to explain anything to you, because you already know. I apologize for having a different opinion.

Nice job with the Ned Flowers allusion, albeit I'm more complex and not as nice (and not so dogmatic). How's it feel to be Homer Simpson (not that I ever watch The Simpsons)?

Wow, so you can't give me one example. There is no need to apologize for having a different opinion. I was just hoping you might be able to explain that opinion so I would understand it better. You couldn't offer one example which is kind of sad.

regardless of whether this "trickle down" theory is working or not, one thing is sure, there is not one thing good billikenwise about your tiger player getting drafted. if you compare the two, there is at least some kind of sane thought about what's good for the a-10 is good for the billikens. there is nothing good for the billikens with your tigers.

What do the Tigers have to do with this? I see that you don't think the "trickle down" theory is working either.

Yes, I noticed the "postcard" is doing his best to try to ruin yet another good discussion. Pathetic. I hate to burst his bubble, but I have run across many Missouri fans who root for other Big 12 teams to do well in the Tournament or in bowl games. It is either willful ignorance or just plain ignorance on his part.

Ya, I guess if disagreeing that Nivins and Brown getting drafted is good for the Billikens is ruining another thread, color me guilty. Perhaps you can explain these trickle down benefits since none of your Billiken brothers can.

What do the Tigers have to do with this?

you had a number of posts at the front of this thread that were all about the mi$$ouri player that got drafted and tried to turn this into a party for his getting picked. obviously you were the only one that cared and then took it out on the a-10 kids that got picked when a few billikens.com members praised those kids getting picked.

you had a number of posts at the front of this thread that were all about the mi$$ouri player that got drafted and tried to turn this into a party for his getting picked. obviously you were the only one that cared and then took it out on the a-10 kids that got picked when a few billikens.com members praised those kids getting picked.

Those mentions of Carroll were in response to Ace who was trying to take shots at him. It was all in fun. Of course I'm happy for Demarre since I'm a Tiger fan. Just as I'd be happy for Kevin Lisch if he would have been drafted. I'm not fans of guys from St. Joes and Xavier who happen to be our rival teams. Maybe you root for those guys/teams. I do not. I knew you use to root for Cincy, I didn't think you were a Xavier fan now as well.

Those mentions of Carroll were in response to Ace who was trying to take shots at him. It was all in fun. Of course I'm happy for Demarre since I'm a Tiger fan. Just as I'd be happy for Kevin Lisch if he would have been drafted. I'm not fans of guys from St. Joes and Xavier who happen to be our rival teams. Maybe you root for those guys/teams. I do not. I knew you use to root for Cincy, I didn't think you were a Xavier fan now as well.

you posted about carroll before ace appeared in this thread.

i am a fan second of any program in the a-10 after the billikens and before any other program outside of the a-10. i agree with the thought that any advancements of other a-10 teams can have a positive effect on the billikens as well. at least more so than the likes of anything positive for say mi$$ouri having a postive effect on the billikens. imo, good things happening for mi$$ouri will be more likely to have a negative effect on the billikens. so i want the tigers to fail at everything all the time.

i was never a fan of cincy more than i was any other team in cusa when we were in that conference. i will say i would correct posters when they posted incorrect information about cincy like exagerating their academic standings. and i will admit i was cyber buds with a few cincy posters. other than that, i dont think i ever rooted for cincy more than any other cusa team and of all the cusa teams probably only marquette was lower on my popularity list of the cusa teams.

you posted about carroll before ace appeared in this thread.

i am a fan second of any program in the a-10 after the billikens and before any other program outside of the a-10. i agree with the thought that any advancements of other a-10 teams can have a positive effect on the billikens as well. at least more so than the likes of anything positive for say mi$$ouri having a postive effect on the billikens. imo, good things happening for mi$$ouri will be more likely to have a negative effect on the billikens. so i want the tigers to fail at everything all the time.

i was never a fan of cincy more than i was any other team in cusa when we were in that conference. i will say i would correct posters when they posted incorrect information about cincy like exagerating their academic standings. and i will admit i was cyber buds with a few cincy posters. other than that, i dont think i ever rooted for cincy more than any other cusa team and of all the cusa teams probably only marquette was lower on my popularity list of the cusa teams.

So you are a fan of St. Joes, Dayton, Xavier, etc. People wonder why the Bills never have made the jump to big time basketball. The administration always mirrored the fan base. You're a perfect example. You just want to be the nice guys, with the nice coach and good student athletes that go to church and by golly if we can't win we sure hope that our friends from Xavier do us proud. You think Oklahoma fans care about how Texas does? You think Duke fans root for Carolina in the tournament? You have such a small time mentality. Thank God Majerus is here to toughen everyone up - including fans like you and Thicks.

You think Oklahoma fans care about how Texas does?

You bet they do. They want to beat an undefeated Texas team. Then they want Texas to win out so they look better.

I don't believe you are this dumb. I'll submit that you actually understand how a better A-10 helps the Billikens, but you prefer to get under the skin of folks on this board.

i want the tigers to fail at everything all the time.

i e-maled God and asked if he would tack this on as the 11th commandment. He hasn't responded yet, maybe you guys can put the pressure on him. He's at [email protected]. maybe at [email protected], but i don't think he checks that one anymore.

and posty, it's not nice guy ######. i want to beat the piss out of every team we play and then have them win all their games afterwards. and i want their good players to make the NBA so that recruits will at least hear the names of teams that we play regularly and associate us w/ DAT LEAGUE!!! everybody on here wanted to post the exact same thing to fulfill your "trickle-down effect" requirement but didn't want to take the time to do it, because it's so obvious. so for F$'s sake, drop it. if the a-10 puts a bunch of players in the NBA then more kids will want to play in the a-10 and a good share of those kids will look at SLU, even if we're not immediately contributing to that migration to DAT LEAGUE!!!

we compete with mizzou for recruits, but we really don't compete that much with other a-10 teams. one of the few blessings of our geographical conundrum.

and speaking of DAT LEAGUE!!! - either willie's really improving or he's getting rubencottoitis (that looks like ######, GIGGLE), on FB he says that he's put on 25 lbs since coming to SLU and that he's at some camp where he ran train this morning and he's looking forward to the 2012 NBA Draft. i'm hoping for the former.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/200...all_Center.html

St. Joe's is unveiling its new Ramsay Basketball Center, an addition to its existing Fieldhouse, which will now be called Hagan Arena. The Center contains the Delonte West Players' Lounge and the Jameer Nelson Locker Room, in addition to a number of other features. Sounds like a pretty cool addition to Hawk Hill, and I love Martelli's quote about "not forgetting where we came from." I was surprised to see this story on the front page of ESPN.com, too.

In other St. Joe's news, Ahmad Nivins was drafted 56th by the Mavs. Nivins is a beast, and that seems to be a good value to me. I'd love to see him crack the roster and get some minutes.

From the NY Daily News:

"St. Joseph's is on the verge of putting together its best recruiting year since 1979 - when Phil Martelli's Hawks signed Lonnie McFarlan and Tony Costner. The Hawks already have commitments from three juniors - 6-9 C.J. Aiken of Plymouth-Whitemarsh (Pa.) HS, point guard Langston Galloway of Christian Life Academy in Baton Rouge and 6-4 guard Daryus Quarles of Life Center Academy in Burlington, N.J. All three are Top 50 recruits nationally and could all be stars in the Atlantic 10."

This is good for the conference.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/200...t-in-lance.html

i e-maled God and asked if he would tack this on as the 11th commandment. He hasn't responded yet, maybe you guys can put the pressure on him. He's at [email protected]. maybe at [email protected], but i don't think he checks that one anymore.

and posty, it's not nice guy ######. i want to beat the piss out of every team we play and then have them win all their games afterwards. and i want their good players to make the NBA so that recruits will at least hear the names of teams that we play regularly and associate us w/ DAT LEAGUE!!! everybody on here wanted to post the exact same thing to fulfill your "trickle-down effect" requirement but didn't want to take the time to do it, because it's so obvious. so for F$'s sake, drop it. if the a-10 puts a bunch of players in the NBA then more kids will want to play in the a-10 and a good share of those kids will look at SLU, even if we're not immediately contributing to that migration to DAT LEAGUE!!!

we compete with mizzou for recruits, but we really don't compete that much with other a-10 teams. one of the few blessings of our geographical conundrum.

and speaking of DAT LEAGUE!!! - either willie's really improving or he's getting rubencottoitis (that looks like ######, GIGGLE), on FB he says that he's put on 25 lbs since coming to SLU and that he's at some camp where he ran train this morning and he's looking forward to the 2012 NBA Draft. i'm hoping for the former.

I mentioned before that there were 10 current NBA players drafted from the A10 from 93 - 99. There were also 10 from 2000 - 2009. It seems like we're getting less players drafted not more. Where is the bump that we should have received from all the NBA talent in the 90's? Where is the bump we should have recieved from having an undefeated team with a #1 seed and two Elite 8 teams in 2004? Why do we still have a horrible TV package? Why do we have teams in this league that are barely competitive and that people want booted out? What I see are perceived benefits but I don't see anyone mentioning any actuall benefits. Like I've mentioned numerous times, the success of A10 players and teams is FAR down the list in what's important to the Bills. So far down that I wouldn't waste my time "rooting" for A10 players to do well in the NBA. What will help the Bills is getting their own players to the NBA not ST. Joes players.

From the NY Daily News:

"St. Joseph's is on the verge of putting together its best recruiting year since 1979 - when Phil Martelli's Hawks signed Lonnie McFarlan and Tony Costner. The Hawks already have commitments from three juniors - 6-9 C.J. Aiken of Plymouth-Whitemarsh (Pa.) HS, point guard Langston Galloway of Christian Life Academy in Baton Rouge and 6-4 guard Daryus Quarles of Life Center Academy in Burlington, N.J. All three are Top 50 recruits nationally and could all be stars in the Atlantic 10."

This is good for the conference.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/200...t-in-lance.html

Great news from our St. Joe fan and correspondent Pistol. I'll make sure I cut them a check this week to help pay for the new faciliites. After all, if it's good for St. Joes, it's good for SLU. Here's hoping the other A10 schools get a bunch of great recruits. It will surely help the Billikens like it has in the past!

What will help the Bills is getting their own players to the NBA not ST. Joes players.

Our own players won't get to the NBA by beating up on a bunch of pansies on other A-10 teams. They will get to the NBA if there's enough talent overall in the league to entice NBA-worthy talent to play for us against that solid competition. Obviously there are bigger problems with the league, but we'll never get a better TV contract if no one wants to see the players playing anyways. And I don't care if Duke joins the A-10. We need SEVERAL good teams and several players per year getting serious looks from the NBA before our media situation is going to get any better. But Roy's right. The A-10 has been and still is the best non-BCS conference. We just wear an ugly f$ing dress.

I mentioned before that there were 10 current NBA players drafted from the A10 from 93 - 99. There were also 10 from 2000 - 2009. It seems like we're getting less players drafted not more. Where is the bump that we should have received from all the NBA talent in the 90's? Where is the bump we should have recieved from having an undefeated team with a #1 seed and two Elite 8 teams in 2004? Why do we still have a horrible TV package? Why do we have teams in this league that are barely competitive and that people want booted out?

i can tell you that a lot of that is the a-10 leadership resting on their laurels after the turn of the century. while the bcs conferences were spending big time money and the likes of the mvc were doing all the right thing with the best they got to work with, the a-10 wasnt. the result was the mvc almost caught up and the gap between us and the bcs widened.

i think slu and charlotte had a lot to do with the a-10 finally starting to wake up and trying to move into the 21st century of division one college basketball. but a lot of scars remain from worthless linda bruno and her toadie a-10 leadership. you cant change tv packages overnight. you cant just build a new state of the art arena in a week to ten days. you dont convince your boosters to hire the likes of rick majerus overnight. a lot of that takes time and change happens gradually.

remember, the a-10 is predominantly private schools that have to fend for themselves instead of living on the dole of the state like the members of say the big 12. with that being the case, the whole approach to change is going to be a lot more drawn out.

Whether it is willful or not, banned billiphan/postcard oozes ignorance. I see that he had no response for your point. I have heard similar sentiments from their fans. It is understandable to have a little conference pride.

moytoy called posty out well, "I don't believe you are this dumb. I'll submit that you actually understand how a better A-10 helps the Billikens, but you prefer to get under the skin of folks on this board."

banned billiphan/postcard is so transparent. I'm glad he is now making it obvious for everybody to see what I called out a long time ago... his little "I'm both a SLU and Mizzou fan" act is a fraud.