Tony Bennett

What kind of year did Kramer have at Miami? Did he start?

Miami had a senior-heavy roster. He came off the bench and averaged a couple points in limited minutes. Unless he's been recruited over he should start this coming season.

Guest BillikenReport

Miami had a senior-heavy roster. He came off the bench and averaged a couple points in limited minutes. Unless he's been recruited over he should start this coming season.

Miami has a very nice recruiting class coming in for next season:

http://miamiohio.scout.com/a.z?s=348&p...=bb&yr=2009

It looks like they are still trying to add a point guard to the mix.

I don't see the logic of this hire. Bennet is not an ACC style coach.... they like to run and don't play slow ball. Even Coach K figured out he needs more athletic types on the floor. We'll see, but I think VA made a mistake here. A guy like Anderson would have been a good fit.

I don't see the logic of this hire. Bennet is not an ACC style coach.... they like to run and don't play slow ball.

-i agree that this seems an odd choice from a style of play view, anyone looking at a UVA board for their sentiment?

I don't see the logic of this hire. Bennet is not an ACC style coach.... they like to run and don't play slow ball. Even Coach K figured out he needs more athletic types on the floor. We'll see, but I think VA made a mistake here. A guy like Anderson would have been a good fit.

Jeff Capel and Tubby Smith weren't taking the Virginia position.

The logic for Bennett is easy to see.

Virginia is an elite academic school.

Bennett played NBA ball for nearby Charlotte, and he has some ties to the region. He and his wife like the area and part of the country.

It's one of the better college towns Nationally and fits what he likes.

Washington St. is isolated, and has to compete with Few and Romar for in state players alone.

Conference style of play changes and varies. The Pac 10 has changed styles with the more deliberate half court play of Ben Howland, Herb Sendek, and others.

It will be challenging to get things going at UVA after the past 4 or so coaches couldn't, but UVA has had one of the top handful of basketball budgets nationally, and close access to lots of recruits, albeit with lots of competition too. I think Tony can do well there.

Jeff Capel and Tubby Smith weren't taking the Virginia position.

The logic for Bennett is easy to see.

Virginia is an elite academic school.

Bennett played NBA ball for nearby Charlotte, and he has some ties to the region. He and his wife like the area and part of the country.

It's one of the better college towns Nationally and fits what he likes.

Washington St. is isolated, and has to compete with Few and Romar for in state players alone.

Conference style of play changes and varies. The Pac 10 has changed styles with the more deliberate half court play of Ben Howland, Herb Sendek, and others.

It will be challenging to get things going at UVA after the past 4 or so coaches couldn't, but UVA has had one of the top handful of basketball budgets nationally, and close access to lots of recruits, albeit with lots of competition too. I think Tony can do well there.

-why didn't it work for leito (?sp)?

-why didn't it work for leito (?sp)?

Combination of things. He was there 4 seasons. He was ACC coach of the year two years ago and shared the league title. However, some injuries, particularly to front court players, inexperienced players, lack of team identity at both ends, lack of shooters.

Next year Virginia would be returning its top 6 scorers, including the 6'6 ACC frosh (guard) of the year. Some thought he should have gotten another year. Other see him as a good assistant coach and recruiter, but not their longer term guy.

Virginia has a brand new Arena, $130 million, and the hoops budget is at an all time high. Virginia did alright under Jeff Jones, after Terry Holland, but Gillen's program lacked discipline in a lot of ways and the program spiraled downward his last several years...flashes of talent here and there, but not a lot of control, nor development ...and UVA has some academic standards that other schools don't have... there is new found pressure and money at UVA in men's basketball.

Combination of things. He was there 4 seasons. He was ACC coach of the year two years ago and shared the league title. However, some injuries, particularly to front court players, inexperienced players, lack of team identity at both ends, lack of shooters.

Next year Virginia would be returning its top 6 scorers, including the 6'6 ACC frosh (guard) of the year. Some thought he should have gotten another year. Other see him as a good assistant coach and recruiter, but not their longer term guy.

Virginia has a brand new Arena, $130 million, and the hoops budget is at an all time high. Virginia did alright under Jeff Jones, after Terry Holland, but Gillen's program lacked discipline in a lot of ways and the program spiraled downward his last several years...flashes of talent here and there, but not a lot of control, nor development ...and UVA has some academic standards that other schools don't have... there is new found pressure and money at UVA in men's basketball.

I still think Leitao deserved another season or two. I don't see how Bennett will be any better for the program.