Majerus Defends A-10

moytoy12

that is a good interview. and i think majerus is right. what he didnt touch on and i dont blame him for it is the effect that the bottom feeders for the a-10 have on the overall perception and analysis of the league. no doubt the rpi's are greatly affected by those 2-4 teams. if we just cut it off at the top 10 programs, the conference rankings would sour i bet. maybe kwyjbo can help us here.

as to his other comments, the money and the marketing is without a weakness but that goes to the individual programs as well. count slu in that. they all need to start acting and spending big time and i bet it comes back to them quickly.

that is a good interview. and i think majerus is right. what he didnt touch on and i dont blame him for it is the effect that the bottom feeders for the a-10 have on the overall perception and analysis of the league. no doubt the rpi's are greatly affected by those 2-4 teams. if we just cut it off at the top 10 programs, the conference rankings would sour i bet. maybe kwyjbo can help us here.

as to his other comments, the money and the marketing is without a weakness but that goes to the individual programs as well. count slu in that. they all need to start acting and spending big time and i bet it comes back to them quickly.

By any objective measure (Sagarin, Pomeroy, RPI, etc.) the Mountain West was a better conference than the A-10 (which was 8th in RPI and Sagarin but 9th in Pomeroy). If you stick to the top 10 in each conference the A-10 does moves up on but not over the BCS conferences but does climb over the MWC.

First of all, WHO CARES how good the bottom feeders are or aren't. It has absolutely nothing to do with SLU's success. Michigan State wasn't apologizing for how bad Northwestern was when they won the NCAA tournament, UCLA/Oregon St, etc. etc., let it go.

Secondly, since I'm in a particularly anti-Majerus mood right now, I'll comment that the money for marketing went out the window when we had to pay this coach his oversized contract. SLU is too limited an athletic dept. to have it both ways. It's either/or and RM's contract won out.

First of all, WHO CARES how good the bottom feeders are or aren't. It has absolutely nothing to do with SLU's success. Michigan State wasn't apologizing for how bad Northwestern was when they won the NCAA tournament, UCLA/Oregon St, etc. etc., let it go.

Secondly, since I'm in a particularly anti-Majerus mood right now, I'll comment that the money for marketing went out the window when we had to pay this coach his oversized contract. SLU is too limited an athletic dept. to have it both ways. It's either/or and RM's contract won out.

it does indeed matter. the rpi for the a-10 says we are not the 7th conference yet we get 3 spots in the ncaa tourney and almost a 4th? the reason is that the top of the conference is indeed that strong but the bottom teams pull the overall ranking down.

as to the budget, i disagree on the both ways. slu is by no means a poor school. all i am proposing is the athletic budget is temporarily subsidized by the university until the reality happens and the teams take off and can stand on their own with the revenue to support the bigger budget. if they dont do that, they may forever be playing the chicken or the egg scenario.

now if say 5 years from now the success and revenue still isnt there, well then rickma should be fired and the subsidy should stop or at the very least be reevaluated. my guess is that rickma's track record is such that this worst case scenario wouldnt happen and the marketing and capital infusion investments would be headstarts that would pay off huge down the road and we would be miles ahead.

"Sour" or "soar"?

Yeah because the $600,000 more we spent on Majerus would have really made a big difference in marketing the A10 to the country.

Your arguments are weak SLU contributes to the A10 but is not responsible for the overall marketing of the conference which is what the statements were about. Besides that the $1mil that we spent on Majerus to coach in the A10 probably paid more dividends in conference exposure than spending it one commercials would have.