OT: Congratulations Chaminade Red Devils

Pistol

I'm thrilled for my alma mater Chaminade, who defeated Grandview last night for the Missouri Class 5 state title. I know there are a few other fellow Red Devil posters on here, and many more who read the site regularly. It's capped off an up-and-down season for the team, given the recent horrible incident with Kelvin Lee's nephew Kenny. The senior class there also lost a classmate to a car accident as the school year started and saw one of its best football players suffer a gruesome leg injury that left him unable to walk for quite some time (he sits at the end of the bench during games).

The comeback against Rock Bridge in the semifinals couldn't have been any more dramatic, and the final vs. Grandview was just a classic game between two excellent teams. There was a lot of talent on the floor last night, and Burks (Grandview star headed to Colorado) and Beal didn't disappoint. Lockhart also played like the senior leader that he is and he'll be missed next season.

Here's Nate's write-up:

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...17?OpenDocument

Same with Borgia, and hopefully this weekend Whitfield/Maplewood can bring another title to the area in Class 3. The only Class 2 team remaining was Wellston and they lost Saturday.

I got so caught up in the Chaminade title, I completely forgot Borgia was even playing for it. I'm happy to hear they won too. I'd like to see Maplewood-RH get it done in Class 3.

Good job, Devilsdon'tcallusflyersexceptinanofficialcapacitybutwedon'twanttogobyflyerswe'dratherbecalledreddevils.

Haha, that's pretty much it. We're just trying to phase out any association with the University of Dayton. Except the Marianist thing, I suppose.

Haha, that's pretty much it. We're just trying to phase out any association with the University of Dayton. Except the Marianist thing, I suppose.

Good call.

BTW, I've registered the domain name - www.devilsdon'tcallusflyersexceptinanofficialcapacitybutwedon'twanttogobyflyerswe'dratherbecalledreddevils.com - in case you know anyone who wants to set up a Chaminade fan site.

Good call.

BTW, I've registered the domain name - www.devilsdon'tcallusflyersexceptinanofficialcapacitybutwedon'twanttogobyflyerswe'dratherbecalledreddevils.com - in case you know anyone who wants to set up a Chaminade fan site.

We are Chaminade!!! Brad go to KU!!!

What is the correlation between YouDee and Chaminade, other than the Marianist tradition? Is there a large amount of CCP alums who went to Dayton for college? Pistol, you're the authority on the subject, it seems...

They recruit hard core at Chaminade. I guess Dayton wants St.Louis's best and brightest.

What is the correlation between YouDee and Chaminade, other than the Marianist tradition? Is there a large amount of CCP alums who went to Dayton for college? Pistol, you're the authority on the subject, it seems...

The Marianist tradition is the link. Chaminade originally took the name Flyers as a nod to UD, one of the few Marianist colleges in the country. One of the college guidance counselors there also has ties to UD (I think he's an alum) and has been a champion for sending kids there during his 35-year tenure at Chaminade. I imagine the link will be weaker once he retires, and the number of kids going from CCP to UD is less than what it used to be. In my class (2001), 3 guys went to Dayton- it's normally around 5, I think.

The Red Devil mascot comes from one of the Marianist brothers at Chaminade, who drew up the logo in the 1960s and made stickers to put on the football helmets for good plays. The students liked it a lot better and it stuck for years, was shoved underground by a group of mothers in the late 80s, and reborn in the late 90s. It looks to be the dominant one at this point, and is definitely my preference because it's original and way cooler.

Pistol, I'm not from St. Louis, but this lady friend of mine labeled me a "Chaminade guy," if I had grown up in St. Louis and attended high school in the metropolitan area. I went to a co-ed Catholic H.S. in Illinois, so I wonder what the stigma of a "Chaminade guy" is or a SLUH guy?" What does it all mean?

Pistol, I'm not from St. Louis, but this lady friend of mine labeled me a "Chaminade guy," if I had grown up in St. Louis and attended high school in the metropolitan area. I went to a co-ed Catholic H.S. in Illinois, so I wonder what the stigma of a "Chaminade guy" is or a SLUH guy?" What does it all mean?

Being a Chaminade guy means being the best of the best.

I like TJHawk's response- though it may have been sarcastic, I can't tell.

It would probably take way too long to explain and would involve numerous generalizations about the students of every St. Louis-area Catholic school (and there are a lot- this area has the highest percentage of Catholic secondary school students in the country) to come up with the stereotype she placed upon you. I'd be curious to hear what her perceptions of Chaminade guys are and why you fit the mold. When you get down to Chaminade, SLUH, CBC, DeSmet, Vianney, and the others, the differences probably seem like small nuances to outsiders.

It would probably take way too long to explain and would involve numerous generalizations about the students of every St. Louis-area Catholic school (and there are a lot- this area has the highest percentage of Catholic secondary school students in the country) to come up with the stereotype she placed upon you. I'd be curious to hear what her perceptions of Chaminade guys are and why you fit the mold. When you get down to Chaminade, SLUH, CBC, DeSmet, Vianney, and the others, the differences probably seem like small nuances to outsiders.

Really, Vianney? One of these is not like the others.....

Really, Vianney? One of these is not like the others.....

To you and me, yeah, but to someone from outside this area? Might not seem like such a huge difference.

Class of '94

To answer your question, Pistol, she told me that because I was well-mannered and talked positively about my family and siblings and that I was vocal about my career goals that she pegged me as a Chaminade guy. Didn't have to do with anything materialistic, which was good because then I would have labeled her a gold digger, 'cause she ain't messin with no broke _________.

But in all seriousness, I guess that's a compliment.

To answer your question, Pistol, she told me that because I was well-mannered and talked positively about my family and siblings and that I was vocal about my career goals that she pegged me as a Chaminade guy. Didn't have to do with anything materialistic, which was good because then I would have labeled her a gold digger, 'cause she ain't messin with no broke _________.

But in all seriousness, I guess that's a compliment.

People here are weird about high schools, as I guess you now know.

SLUH guys tend to be smart, good-looking, and well-rounded. Chaminade guys like to think they are. ;)