Majerus Show Tonight?

GoBills

Nebraska is coming to Chaifetz next year, correct? SLU has played Kansas State before. Getting Iowa again would be good.

Our home schedule is decent next year with SIU, Missouri St. and Nebraska. We are also playing in the tourney in Chicago and will play 2 of these 3 teams (Notre Dame, Iowa and Iowa St. but I can't swear both Iowa teams are in this thing).

It would be real nice to get at least two more series started up with BCS level competition starting on the road so they could return to the Chaifetz the next year. My ideal would be one top 15 program and one middle of the road BCS team (like a Nebraska/BC). I'd do more than 2 if possible but like I said before its hard and it takes two to tango. If you can't get the BCS boys to play you, move to the best of the mid majors and see what you can do.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our home schedule is decent next year with SIU, Missouri St. and Nebraska. We are also playing in the tourney in Chicago and will play 2 of these 3 teams (Notre Dame, Iowa and Iowa St. but I can't swear both Iowa teams are in this thing).

It would be real nice to get at least two more series started up with BCS level competition starting on the road so they could return to the Chaifetz the next year. My ideal would be one top 15 program and one middle of the road BCS team (like a Nebraska/BC). I'd do more than 2 if possible but like I said before its hard and it takes two to tango. If you can't get the BCS boys to play you, move to the best of the mid majors and see what you can do.

is it for sure missouri state is coming here next year? i think we should alternate siu and missouri state at home.

Geebus, do you want to play moral police or get good basketball teams in here? How many mormon affiliated schools can we schedule?

I don't look at things like are they Mormon. Did we play any Mormon schools?

Yes, I don't mind having a little morality. There are a 100 teams rated higher than us today, maybe we could find one that doesn't want to hire a person like Huggins.

is it for sure missouri state is coming here next year? i think we should alternate siu and missouri state at home.

Yes. It is for sure. I agree with you that it was nice when they alternated but with MSU screwing it up this year this is just how it is going forward.

I don't look at things like are they Mormon. Did we play any Mormon schools?

Yes, I don't mind having a little morality. There are a 100 teams rated higher than us today, maybe we could find one that doesn't want to hire a person like Huggins.

Wouldn't your rather beat the team without morality then the one with it? I always enjoyed the wins over Huggins at Cincy a little more than the others.

I believe it is Northwestern not Iowa representing the Big 10 but you are right in the past it has been two preset games amongst the 4 bigger invites (4 lower teams are also in the invitational and have more of a tournament amongst them as the undercard).

My guess would be Anthony Booker. Word was he was bff's with Roundtree. Add onto it the already great results with our raw bigs and I could see Booker looking to transfer.

How does our current bigs success make it more likely for another big to transfer here?

Why aren't we scheduling Notre Dame, Gonzaga, Creighton, etc on a regular basis? The one thing people on here might be more obsessed with than playing Mizzou is playing other Catholic schools(for some reason). Can we add these schools to the list of teams that are afraid to play us?

How do you know that we're not trying to schedule these teams? Aren't we in a tourney with N.D.?

I agree, I would like to have Creighton on the schedule every year as well as Gonzaga, if possible.

Why aren't we scheduling Notre Dame, Gonzaga, Creighton, etc on a regular basis? The one thing people on here might be more obsessed with than playing Mizzou is playing other Catholic schools(for some reason). Can we add these schools to the list of teams that are afraid to play us?

I know for a fact we have pursued series with Gonzaga, ND, Marq. G-town, BC etc. on a regular basis. We very much would like to play those guys. Listen to RM's show sometimes and he almost always brings up wanting to play those guys.

Two shows ago RM had a good story about BC. He said before the game this year someone from their group told us they wanted to continue the series. We said great. A week after the game we called them to schedule another home and home and they said "No way, we aren't playing you guys again" and now the series is off. Funny how beating a team makes them scared of you.

At least teams like G-town and Gonzaga play respectable non-conference schedules so I'd be hard pressed to say they are scared to play anyone.

I know for a fact we have pursued series with Gonzaga, ND, Marq. G-town, BC etc. on a regular basis. We very much would like to play those guys. Listen to RM's show sometimes and he almost always brings up wanting to play those guys.

Two shows ago RM had a good story about BC. He said before the game this year someone from their group told us they wanted to continue the series. We said great. A week after the game we called them to schedule another home and home and they said "No way, we aren't playing you guys again" and now the series is off. Funny how beating a team makes them scared of you.

At least teams like G-town and Gonzaga play respectable non-conference schedules so I'd be hard pressed to say they are scared to play anyone.

I realize there is a lot of talk about it, but why don't they actually get scheduled?

I realize there is a lot of talk about it, but why don't they actually get scheduled?

Well, i think kshoe answered the question, partially at least. RM probably doesn't want a 2-for-1 deal and the other teams don't want a home and home with SLU.

Maybe these other teams have conflicts in their schedules.

Maybe a game with SLU isn't attractive enough for them.

There could be a number of reasons why they don't get scheduled. You're acting like it's just pick up the phone and schedule it. I know you know it ain't that easy.

well this might cause some sort of biblical disaster but i agree with postcard here. we used to be told, well since we are hamstrung on schedule dates with not having our own arena, all the good programs always dodge us. or we would be told that soderberg/romar had no clout and bcs coaches and other comparable slulike programs wouldnt do them any schedule favors. then we got the no one wants to be the first to play us the first year in the new arena.

now we got rickma with all his contacts and relationships and we got a new arena and we are past the first year stigma, and we got father biondi ready to pitch to other jesuit schools, bring em on. this year's schedule should never happen again.

I'm not here to defend Gonzaga, but Gonzaga did play SLU 2 years in a row, home and home. Didn't Gonzaga say it wanted to play someone else? IMO we can't really blame Gonzaga.

Boston College, of course, just finished playing SLU home and home.

The real "ducks" re SLU are Notre Dame, Missouri, Georgetown, and Marquette. I would like to believe that the Jesuit connections should yield series with Georgetown and Marquette. But those have yet to happen. Why- it's pretty simple. Georgetown and Marquette don't want to risk a nonconference road loss to a program they still perceive to be their lesser, and they know that they would be facing substantial risk of losing by playing SLU in St. Louis. The better the SLU program gets, the more national publicity that SLU gets, the more likely that SLU will get a series with Georgetown or Marquette, probably Marquette, based on past and current ties.

Playing Notre Dame in this tournament in Chicago is a start, but a Notre Dame visit to St. Louis to play SLU is long overdue.

As for Mizzou, ..., we all know the story there. These two should be playing, every season, period. I was at that game at The Dome that drew 25,000 fans. That stuff about Mizzou having nothing to gain is pure rubbish. Again, the better the SLU program gets, the more publicity the SLU program generates, the better chance that Mizzou will ultimately have to play SLU.

The SLU program is above that 2 for 1 stuff, as in 2 home games at the other place and 1 home game for SLU. If the SLU program continues to progress, as we expect, that 2 for 1 stuff will either not be offered at all, or would only be in play for the highest echelon programs like Duke or North Carolina. And even then, I'm more in favor of SLU passing on that.

This year's nonconference schedule likely involved multiple factors, nonetheleast of which was SLU knowing it would be playing all these freshmen. It also probably involves so many programs ducking SLU- see above. I would think that SLU would like to play Georgetown, Notre Dame, Marquette, or Mizzou, irrespective of the class composition of the SLU team. But it takes two to tango.

-roy, you and i disagree about this yr's and next yr's schedule, so that is fine

-as to scheduling, see kshoe's post about BC, there were talks before we beat them of continuing the series, we beat them, call them about playing again, and they say no way

-so just because rick has broken bread (a lot) with every other coach in america does not mean he can snap his fingers and get a series established and i can say this by the remarks he makes on his show as to difficult scheduling is at this point

-just b/c Fr B is head of the best jesuit school in the world does not mean the other padres heading the lesser ranks of Gtwn, Zaga, BC, Marq want their hoops team to automatically come play his team and again i can say this by the remarks rick has made on his show where he says Fr B is trying

-the jesuit tourney is the way to go, we just need a sponsor (good luck with this economy) (maybe Brieto went jebbie at some point???)

-as to last night's show...

-he did make a comment about Femi and how good he "is" doing, but considering he was on crutches sat night not sure what that means, but perhaps he meant prior to his injury as he made that comment several times

-said they have 2 recruits scheduled for lasalle but since that is during spring break and rick just became aware of that he is not sure about doing this as he wants an atmosphere and for them to see the school

-is giving 2 free tix to any kid going to slu next year for lasalle to get some students in the house

-it sounded to me like he said slu is now getting looks from kids that previously were not looking at slu, so perhaps more highly rated recruits

-next week is last show for this season

well this might cause some sort of biblical disaster but i agree with postcard here. we used to be told, well since we are hamstrung on schedule dates with not having our own arena, all the good programs always dodge us. or we would be told that soderberg/romar had no clout and bcs coaches and other comparable slulike programs wouldnt do them any schedule favors. then we got the no one wants to be the first to play us the first year in the new arena.

now we got rickma with all his contacts and relationships and we got a new arena and we are past the first year stigma, and we got father biondi ready to pitch to other jesuit schools, bring em on. this year's schedule should never happen again.

Made me laugh :lol: This is kind of what I was getting at. As Roy mentioned above, with RM, our own building, etc, I thought it would be easier to get these games scheduled.

PRESENTING

The Big East/A-10 Jesuit Smackdown

Marquette, Georgetown, SLU, Saint Joseph's

rotating home-and-home, two (each) games per year

Special events:

Pregame masses featuring performances by the St. Louis Jesuits (at least those who are still in the priesthood or undivorced) -- all coaches welcome regardless of their standing within their geographic archdiocese

Halftime sumo wrestling contests between college presidents

Any students caught rushing the court after the game subject to the Spanish Inquisition. (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.)

Think of the possibilities!

-roy, you and i disagree about this yr's and next yr's schedule, so that is fine

-as to scheduling, see kshoe's post about BC, there were talks before we beat them of continuing the series, we beat them, call them about playing again, and they say no way

-so just because rick has broken bread (a lot) with every other coach in america does not mean he can snap his fingers and get a series established and i can say this by the remarks he makes on his show as to difficult scheduling is at this point

-just b/c Fr B is head of the best jesuit school in the world does not mean the other padres heading the lesser ranks of Gtwn, Zaga, BC, Marq want their hoops team to automatically come play his team and again i can say this by the remarks rick has made on his show where he says Fr B is trying

we were told numerous times about our recruiting disadvantages but also about the advantages the new arena having rickma and the increased involvement of father biondi to assist with scheduling.

now if you are saying those were all embelishments that's a new issue.

personally i do believe that rickma can lean on friends to force a series and i dont think there is a thing wrong with doing that. same with biondi and his network. we should use every avenue possible to enhance our program and when they dont cost us cash and only a little favor calling/giving all the better.

The difficulty of getting home and homes with top teams went up significantly when we left CUSA for the A-10. The only BCS home and homes we have been able to start since CUSA have been BC and Nebraska (we scheduled UNC when we were in CUSA and everybody knows it was only for Tyler anyway).

Fact is, you need to be good, t.v. attractive, or fan attractive to get home and homes with the big boys. We have been none of those lately but will be in a couple years. What sets Mizzou apart from the others is that it is t.v. attractive and fan attrative even when we were down. Its shame on them for passing up on playing SLU and Missouri St.

Roy, you need to get over this year's schedule. The last few years of BS weren't exactly spectaculor as we got stuck with away games against teams like Loyola, Pacific, Detroit, UW Milwaukee etc. I'd rather play buy games then get stuck in another home and home with a 150+ RPI team that can easily beat us on the road and we have no naturally rivalry with.

PRESENTING

The Big East/A-10 Jesuit Smackdown

Marquette, Georgetown, SLU, Saint Joseph's

rotating home-and-home, two (each) games per year

Special events:

Pregame masses featuring performances by the St. Louis Jesuits (at least those who are still in the priesthood or undivorced) -- all coaches welcome regardless of their standing within their geographic archdiocese

Halftime sumo wrestling contests between college presidents

Any students caught rushing the court after the game subject to the Spanish Inquisition. (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.)

Think of the possibilities!

Based upon what we've seen, the Jesuit connections don't seem to be carrying much weight with the Hoyas and Golden Eagles, even assuming their Jesuit communities would like to see the games.

It's likely an A-10/WCC Jesuit Challenge would be well received out here:

Take 2 of 3 from USF, Santa Clara, and Loyola Marymount

v. SLU and pick from St. Joe's or Fordham.

This would be more for the long term- not next year. USF and LMU will not be down forever, but now is probably not the best time to be playing them, if RPI is the consideration.

SLU already plays all those East Coast games. We'd like to see them return to the Left Coast and the nation's most populous State at some point.

Roy, you need to get over this year's schedule. The last few years of BS weren't exactly spectaculor as we got stuck with away games against teams like Loyola, Pacific, Detroit, UW Milwaukee etc. I'd rather play buy games then get stuck in another home and home with a 150+ RPI team that can easily beat us on the road and we have no naturally rivalry with.

i would take those games over the 6 buy games in a second. i am not as much about playing the top 10 as i am about not playing the bottom 10. that is what i am talking about. get rid of sacramento state, aT&T, etc. those are the menace to our schedule. but if we substitute 100-150 rpi like games, heck even 200 rpi games, those games will still likely be wins and will help our rpi better than the b.s. we passed off as a non conference home schedule this year.

every single season ticket holder should be emphatic about this. for the money we are now REQUIRED to pay per year we deserve better.

I'd rather play buy games then get stuck in another home and home with a 150+ RPI team that can easily beat us on the road and we have no naturally rivalry with.

Partially yes re getting the win, but partially no re that RPI- the buy game wins don't help the RPI.

At least SLU was able to beat Loyola on the road two years ago. That road loss to Detroit this year still smells. Even with all the freshmen, how did SLU lose that game?

What is the answer to this scheduling dilemma? The only solution IMO is to build the program to the point to where the teams SLU wants to play will want to play SLU. Until then, SLU seems stuck in the Catch 22 re the nonconference schedule.

Changing the RPI formula to give more weight to road wins and less weight to home wins didn't help SLU's cause either. Coach Majerus said he was used to playing Our Lady of the Lake in the opener. That goes back to the old Al McGuire scheduling at Marquette. Al interspersed assorted cupcakes amongst the big games. That's when the team's won-loss record was the consideration, not some BCS rigged computer program.