10 NBA Scouts at Game v. X

moytoy12

Ten NBA scouts from nine teams will be here for tonight's XU-St. Louis game. They're from Indiana, Milwaukee, Detroit, L.A. Clippers, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Charlotte and Golden State (2). They're here to evaluate Derrick Brown and likely St. Louis' seniors, I'm guessing Tommie Liddell III in particular.

Being the XU beat newbie that I am, I thought 10 scouts was a lot but I wasn't sure. I asked, and turns out, it is. XU's sports information director Tom Eiser says usually two to five scouts are here during bigger games.

from http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

I think it's Willie. I'm sure he'll at least apply for the draft to find out if he'll be a lottery pick or not.

He has a LONG way to go with strength, but Willie has the best chance of anybody on the roster to eventually make the NBA. I don't think Tommie has any chance.

He has a LONG way to go with strength, but Willie has the best chance of anybody on the roster to eventually make the NBA. I don't think Tommie has any chance.

The nba scout I talked with would disagree

From watching the painful game last night--the NBA scouts were hopefully focused on X because if they were watching SLU they didn't see anything worth their time! This may just be a rant, but I very very dissappointed by the lack of effort around the rim on the defensive side of the court. I will admit, this is the first game I've actually been able to watch on TV, but from looking at the stats from other games and just the feel from watching--they didn't want it...From other games I've been to and watched-especially against ranked teams, there was more effort to rebound, box out, whatever you want to call it...I am used to seeing this team step up against the "big" opponents, and not let someone jump over your back and tip in the ball or push you out of the way to get an offensive rebound. Granted, Xavier was a very good team--and they still may have won the game nonetheless; but I would have liked more intensity, more fire, more effort to box out and at least fight--and I didn't see it. Maybe I missed it! I guess just let this be a lesson for the team and I look forward to beating UMASS next week!! GO BILLS!!

I think once Brett gets in the shape needed and adjust to the college game, he will have the best chance out of the current freshman. Brett is going to be a hell of a player before his college days are over if he has the mental make-up to do what he needs to do. He can be a better player than Ian.

Willie is not close to being where he needs to be fundamentaly and just gets by on his athletic ability right now. You saw last night what happens right now when he goes up against players that match his athletic ability. He is 6'9", doesn't seem like a true power forward, and doesn't shoot like a three. He will be a hell of a college player, but I just don't see right now were he might fit in on the next level. Now if he develops a shot.......... toss out everything I wrote.

I think once Brett gets in the shape needed and adjust to the college game, he will have the best chance out of the current freshman. Brett is going to be a hell of a player before his college days are over if he has the mental make-up to do what he needs to do. He can be a better player than Ian.

Willie is not close to being where he needs to be fundamentaly and just gets by on his athletic ability right now. You saw last night what happens right now when he goes up against players that match his athletic ability. He is 6'9", doesn't seem like a true power forward, and doesn't shoot like a three. He will be a hell of a college player, but I just don't see right now were he might fit in on the next level. Now if he develops a shot.......... toss out everything I wrote.

I take the opposite stance, because it is easier to develop fundamentals than it is to develop great athleticism. Coaching can bring out fundamentals, but only God can bring out a 7-foot wingspan and prodigious hops.

I take the opposite stance, because it is easier to develop fundamentals than it is to develop great athleticism. Coaching can bring out fundamentals, but only God can bring out a 7-foot wingspan and prodigious hops.

I know what you are saying Thicks, but Willie is going to have to develop a consistent shot from 15 feet out. He could do it. That is going to be the hardest part to develop. I hope he does. Brett has the two inch height advantage going for him and that will give him a huge advantage. Height can't be taught. He has the bigger natural frame. Plus, the kid has a pretty sweet stroke.

They both should have really good careers for us. It should be fun to watch.

first i dont think he is 6'9". i think rickma for whatever reason lies down on our roster size. i think willie is a couple of inches taller than that.

second, i disagree with your assessment of willie's potential. now first i want to clarify straight out, he isnt dwight howard, but on the other hand he is just a college freshman. what was dwight howard as a high school senior size wise? he wasnt the 265 he is now. howard is all about athleticism. he isnt the textbook post up center. just checked he hasnt shot a 3 pointer this year and anyone that watches howard knows he rarely shoots a shot from more than about 8 feet from the basket.

i doubt willie will ever be dwight, (few players are) but i could see willie develop into that type of a power foward.

imo, willie future success isnt about learning to dribble and shoot 15-20 footers. it is in building his shoulders and chest to be able to muscle the ball to the basket to go along with his incredible athleticism. this summer he needs to become known as bench reed as in bench press.

Guest BillikenReport

God help me, but I have to agree with Roy and disagree with Brian on this.

Willie has the kind of athleticism that is very rare for someone his size. He's basically 6-10 or 6-11.

He's still very raw, but in a couple years if he is able to get stronger and put on weight he could have a legitimate shot to play in the NBA. He's got a LONG way to go, but I don't think you would find too many players his height in the NBA with the same kind of athleticism.

Thompson also has a chance, because of his size and skills, in a few years.

Don't forget these kids are being coached by a guy who has produced some NBA power forward/centers and who also has NBA connections. You don't think after four years of playing for Majerus that some NBA scouts and GMs will give these guys a look?

I wouldn't be surprised if Liddell gets an invitation to some team's summer league or even training camp if Majerus recommends him.

Guest BillikenReport

Brrrr....It's cold down here.

--Satan

:(

It's rare, but Roy and I agree on some things occasionally. Those times just aren't as memorable on this board as when we disagree.

Roy and I were even at the same high school girls basketball game a couple weeks ago. But no, he didn't join me for ribs at Buffalo Wild Wings afterward.

I too am very bullish on the Willie Reed stock. Let's be real, we haven't had a big with Willie's tool set since Anthony Bonner and Willie is a heck of lot longer than Bonner. Yes, Bonner was a beast and Willie is not ... but muscle can be added. The length and hops cannot be gained or taught. Willie also shows better touch with the ball as a freshman than Bonner. It all comes down to Willie's work in the offseason. Hit the weights, work on the footwork in the post, work on the jump shot. This kid has improved by leaps and bounds (no pun intended) in a few short months. Again, very bullish on what Willie will become as an upper classman.

It's rare, but Roy and I agree on some things occasionally. Those times just aren't as memorable on this board as when we disagree.

Roy and I were even at the same high school girls basketball game a couple weeks ago. But no, he didn't join me for ribs at Buffalo Wild Wings afterward.

you didnt ask. i would have bought. we could have had supper and then went to the althoff west boys game after. :(

when the west girls play edwardsville in the championship of the highland tourney (likely happening if all goes well) in a couple of weeks, tell ken roberts you want the game and we can go out before that game.

I too am very bullish on the Willie Reed stock. Let's be real, we haven't had a big with Willie's tool set since Anthony Bonner and Willie is a heck of lot longer than Bonner. Yes, Bonner was a beast and Willie is not ... but muscle can be added. The length and hops cannot be gained or taught. Willie also shows better touch with the ball as a freshman than Bonner. It all comes down to Willie's work in the offseason. Hit the weights, work on the footwork in the post, work on the jump shot. This kid has improved by leaps and bounds (no pun intended) in a few short months. Again, very bullish on what Willie will become as an upper classman.

the only basketball in hand work willie should do in the summer imo is shoot free throws. my guess as this guy gets stronger, he will live on the foul line. we dont need shaq on the line.

Willie might be 6'10, but that would make Brett a legit seven footer which would further advance Brett's stock. Look at Brett and Willie next to each other and you see Brett is at least two inches taller than him. Wille might have better athletic ability, but Brett has skills. There is a reason why against the best front court we payed all year that Brett was the best big man on court for us in the XU game. I am not saying Willie doesn't have a chance to be a NBA player, but I was just saying that I think Brett has the best chance out of our current freshmen. They both have a ton of work to do. Right now when it come to basketball skills Brett is light years ahead of Willie. Brett is naturally bigger than Willie and Brett's frame is much better built for putting on the kind of muscle weight that is needed for low post play at the next level.

It is unfair to bring up Dwight Howard and Willie in the same sentence. Dwight Howard was the first player taken in the draft coming out of high school. He is going to go down as one of the top five centers to ever play in the NBA before his career is over. Dwight Howard was 55 pounds heavier than Reed coming out of high school, was a good ball handler, and suprise he had an outside jumper. Don't belive me here is Howard's ESPN daft capsule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d05/tra...?playerId=18627

Willie might be 6'10, but that would make Brett a legit seven footer which would further advance Brett's stock. Look at Brett and Willie next to each other and you see Brett is at least two inches taller than him. Wille might have better athletic ability, but Brett has skills. There is a reason why against the best front court we payed all year that Brett was the best big man on court for us in the XU game. I am not saying Willie doesn't have a chance to be a NBA player, but I was just saying that I think Brett has the best chance out of our current freshmen. They both have a ton of work to do. Right now when it come to basketball skills Brett is light years ahead of Willie. Brett is naturally bigger than Willie and Brett's frame is much better built for putting on the kind of muscle weight that is needed for low post play at the next level.

Brett might be 7 feet. I agree Brett has great potential but there is an issue with Majerus. He's a nazi about getting back on defense. Not just the guards to stop layups but everybody to prevent the secondary transition bucket. Brett only gets sustained minutes when there is someone on the other team he can keep up with running the floor. Will Brett pick up foot speed as he grows into his body? That's my only question. If not, Majerus will limit his minutes and play smaller unless the other team has a lumbering center.

Look at this way Brian. Willie has everything it takes to be a very good C/PF in the A10. As far as the NBA, I don't know about that. Brett DOES have the body and tools to be an NBA center (even if Majerus doesn't like the way he matches up in the A10).

Brett might be 7 feet. I agree Brett has great potential but there is an issue with Majerus. He's a nazi about getting back on defense. Not just the guards to stop layups but everybody to prevent the secondary transition bucket. Brett only gets sustained minutes when there is someone on the other team he can keep up with running the floor. Will Brett pick up foot speed as he grows into his body? That's my only question. If not, Majerus will limit his minutes and play smaller unless the other team has a lumbering center.

Look at this way Brian. Willie has everything it takes to be a very good C/PF in the A10. As far as the NBA, I don't know about that. Brett DOES have the body and tools to be an NBA center (even if Majerus doesn't like the way he matches up in the A10).

I agree with all of that.

It is unfair to bring up Dwight Howard and Willie in the same sentence. Dwight Howard was the first player taken in the draft coming out of high school. He is going to go down as one of the top five centers to ever play in the NBA before his career is over. Dwight Howard was 55 pounds heavier than Reed coming out of high school, was a good ball handler, and suprise he had an outside jumper.

i admit i dont watch every nba game but i have seen howard play in two separate games this season and cant remember him shooting a shot more than 8 feet from the basket. if that is "an outside jumper". willie can develop that.

last, i said we all know that willie and dwight howard arent close to the same abilities. my point was only to show that an nba big doesnt have to be george mikan or robert parrish or else have dirk nowitski outside shots. there is a place for that guy that is just active and can get up in the air. that wild haired kid from florida a couple of years back (noah?) just ran the floor and was extremely active around the basket. he wasnt a standard post up or outside shooter either.

or take the south american kid that plays with lebron with the wild hair. he cant shoot a bit but i love that guy. just active and hustle galore that survives on athleticism and effort.

i think you are making too much brian out of stereotypes of an nba inside player.

i admit i dont watch every nba game but i have seen howard play in two separate games this season and cant remember him shooting a shot more than 8 feet from the basket. if that is "an outside jumper". willie can develop that.

last, i said we all know that willie and dwight howard arent close to the same abilities. my point was only to show that an nba big doesnt have to be george mikan or robert parrish or else have dirk nowitski outside shots. there is a place for that guy that is just active and can get up in the air. that wild haired kid from florida a couple of years back (noah?) just ran the floor and was extremely active around the basket. he wasnt a standard post up or outside shooter either.

or take the south american kid that plays with lebron with the wild hair. he cant shoot a bit but i love that guy. just active and hustle galore that survives on athleticism and effort.

i think you are making too much brian out of stereotypes of an nba inside player.

Varejao and Noah are pretty good guys to compare to Wille, although Varejao has a pretty good jumper and Willie is a better athlete than Noah. He is just going to have to add a ton of mass to even get to those two guys bulk. We are talking about 35 to 40 pounds.

Varejao and Noah are pretty good guys to compare to Wille, although Varejao has a pretty good jumper and Willie is a better athlete than Noah. He is just going to have to add a ton of mass to even get to those two guys bulk. We are talking about 35 to 40 pounds.

which is what i have been saying is reed's key to development. bench pressing the summer of 09.