Illinois St.

kshoe

Anybody else notice that the team Porter left behind at Illinois St. finished 33rd in the RPI last year and is currently 12-0 this year. Granted the 12-0 is against weak competition but the two best players on that team are PM recruits. I hope we keep him happy here.

Anybody else notice that the team Porter left behind at Illinois St. finished 33rd in the RPI last year and is currently 12-0 this year. Granted the 12-0 is against weak competition but the two best players on that team are PM recruits. I hope we keep him happy here.

I thought the same thing last night while listening to him on the radio. He really presents himself well, seems to be a good recruiter and a few years learning from RM can't hurt. Look at the non BCS schools that stay consistently good, they promote their own coaches after someone leaves. I hope we are looking to, if we haven't already, make these arrangements with Porter

I thought the same thing last night while listening to him on the radio. He really presents himself well, seems to be a good recruiter and a few years learning from RM can't hurt. Look at the non BCS schools that stay consistently good, they promote their own coaches after someone leaves. I hope we are looking to, if we haven't already, make these arrangements with Porter

Porter's official title is not assistant coach, head assistant coach, or assistant head coach; it's "associate head coach". The different titles may be meaningless, but I believe he will take over when Rick decides to hang it up.

Porter's official title is not assistant coach, head assistant coach, or assistant head coach; it's "associate head coach". The different titles may be meaningless, but I believe he will take over when Rick decides to hang it up.

Plus the recent house purchase in Kirkwood. Glad to have Moser be a Pioneer.

Guest BillikenReport

I've been impressed with Moser whenever I've dealt with him.

For the facebook users on this site, there is a "Fire Porter Moser" group of Illinois State fans I found recently. There was also a website dedicated to the effort as well.

I'm not endorsing those types of things, but it's interesting to look at two years later.

- Nate

Hello Billikens - frequent visitor, rare poster. ISU alum and hoops fan, living in Madison Wisconsin. Wisconsin season ticket holder. Started visiting your site to follow Brad Soderberg's fortunes.

It was difficult for a lot of Redbird fans to see PM go, in some ways, but the plain and simple fact was he didn't get he job done record-wise. Coach Jankovich has taken a handful of PM's players and recruits, plus a number of his own JC and HS recruits and transfers, and has gotten the job done.

Most ISU fans would agree PM was a gentleman - altho he rode the refs mercilessly at times and seemed to be a hot head - but he had a number of recruits over his tenure who didn't pan out and left. Many thought he "settled" for guys who were not as good as needed to be to move the program forward, but he needed bodies. On the other hand, no one questions the talent in guys like Osiris Eldridge, this year's top player, and last year's senior class, that PM recruited. So, it's hard to say. I think many wished that things had gone differently for PM, but we simply got tired of waiting. Not very many are unhappy with Coach Jankovich at this point.

It's very possible that PM will grow to the point where he can be a successful DI coach.

Hello Billikens - frequent visitor, rare poster. ISU alum and hoops fan, living in Madison Wisconsin. Wisconsin season ticket holder. Started visiting your site to follow Brad Soderberg's fortunes.

It was difficult for a lot of Redbird fans to see PM go, in some ways, but the plain and simple fact was he didn't get he job done record-wise. Coach Jankovich has taken a handful of PM's players and recruits, plus a number of his own JC and HS recruits and transfers, and has gotten the job done.

Most ISU fans would agree PM was a gentleman - altho he rode the refs mercilessly at times and seemed to be a hot head - but he had a number of recruits over his tenure who didn't pan out and left. Many thought he "settled" for guys who were not as good as needed to be to move the program forward, but he needed bodies. On the other hand, no one questions the talent in guys like Osiris Eldridge, this year's top player, and last year's senior class, that PM recruited. So, it's hard to say. I think many wished that things had gone differently for PM, but we simply got tired of waiting. Not very many are unhappy with Coach Jankovich at this point.

It's very possible that PM will grow to the point where he can be a successful DI coach.

Not really up on this whole thing with PM and ILSt. but was he not there only 2 years? - maybe I am wrong. I do believe you have to have to give a coach a chance - at least 3 more likely 5 particularly if the team was in a tailspin when he came.

Not really up on this whole thing with PM and ILSt. but was he not there only 2 years? - maybe I am wrong. I do believe you have to have to give a coach a chance - at least 3 more likely 5 particularly if the team was in a tailspin when he came.

Moser was at ISU 4 years with a record of 51-67.

I'll tell you what happened up there at Illinois State: in a nutshell, Coach Moser got screwed. He is an excellent recruiter and a solid coach, the players up there are mainly his boys, and those folks up there in charge of things did not treat him fairly at all. Unjust things happen all the time in sports (and every area of life). Often, power personalities get in the way, and/or people get wild ideas and silly expectations, and so on and so on.

Without going into the bloody details, we are extremely fortunate to have Porter on our team here at SLU. I am sure that he is being groomed as the next face of the program, and he is a really friendly and open kind of guy to have in the program. His charm and energy are really great additions. He is much too classy a guy to complain about the past, by the way. Frankly, my only fear is that some other up and coming program does not notice all this, and snag him prior to whenever Coach Majerus does retire (hopefully many years in the future).

I think Ill St thinks they should be able to relive the Stallings years with no build up needed. The admin had to see that fans just weren't coming out when PM was there. I think the fans wanted wins and no excuses about building a program. PM was there when the MVC was at it's best a few years ago, so it was pretty hard for a team that was down to get into the top 2 or 3 teams in the league. I thought PM had earned more time at Ill St but I think the low attendance numbers is probably what did him in. I can't remember the Vashon kid he had that came in as a JUCO and had one really good season and then was out because of grades. Getting a 2nd year from that kid might have kept PM at Ill St longer.

From his work at where ever in Arkansas and his decent job at Ill St and now working under RM, I think PM would be an attractive head coach in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if he is interviewing for jobs after this season. Hope he is being paid enough here to keep him around if he is RM's replacement in the wings.

I think Ill St thinks they should be able to relive the Stallings years with no build up needed. The admin had to see that fans just weren't coming out when PM was there. I think the fans wanted wins and no excuses about building a program. PM was there when the MVC was at it's best a few years ago, so it was pretty hard for a team that was down to get into the top 2 or 3 teams in the league. I thought PM had earned more time at Ill St but I think the low attendance numbers is probably what did him in. I can't remember the Vashon kid he had that came in as a JUCO and had one really good season and then was out because of grades. Getting a 2nd year from that kid might have kept PM at Ill St longer.

From his work at where ever in Arkansas and his decent job at Ill St and now working under RM, I think PM would be an attractive head coach in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if he is interviewing for jobs after this season. Hope he is being paid enough here to keep him around if he is RM's replacement in the wings.

He was at AR State. If he just bought house in Kirkwood then he is not interviewing anywhere. If he is making good money here - maybe what he made as a head coach elsewhere then he has no reason to leave if RM is treating him well. From what PM has said he likes it here and likes working RM. When RM ultimately retires then PM may very well see himself as a logical replacement. Particularly if he has had a hand in recruiting most of the kids and feels good about the school and its commitment. I am sure no promises have been made but all you have to do is look at the situation and see that if he plays his cards right then he would have a leg up on others. Maybe he also likes being in a big city rather then stuck in some small town - lots goes in to why somebody stays or leaves.

He was at AR State. If he just bought house in Kirkwood then he is not interviewing anywhere. If he is making good money here - maybe what he made as a head coach elsewhere then he has no reason to leave if RM is treating him well. From what PM has said he likes it here and likes working RM. When RM ultimately retires then PM may very well see himself as a logical replacement. Particularly if he has had a hand in recruiting most of the kids and feels good about the school and its commitment. I am sure no promises have been made but all you have to do is look at the situation and see that if he plays his cards right then he would have a leg up on others. Maybe he also likes being in a big city rather then stuck in some small town - lots goes in to why somebody stays or leaves.

Actually he was at U.A.L.R. (Arkansas Little Rock)