Soccer Game

Bill_Ken R

Just got back and checked the Score yet another first round game going into OT for SLU. We all know how this ends. If the trend continues Donnigan needs to hop the next Greyhound outta' town.

Anyone know what happened to Patterson?

Kyle Hayes scored on a free kick with 4.1 seconds left in the 2nd OT. I don't have time to post more , but the Bills played the entire game without Patterson, Jaramillo, and Sweet. Kyle went down about 3 minutes in as we were walking in, we missed the play so I don't know what happened except that he never returned.

Kyle Hayes scored on a free kick with 4.1 seconds left in the 2nd OT. I don't have time to post more , but the Bills played the entire game without Patterson, Jaramillo, and Sweet. Kyle went down about 3 minutes in as we were walking in, we missed the play so I don't know what happened except that he never returned.

I heard he was carted off the field. Sounds serious. What happened to Jaramillo and Sweet?

Here is the article from the SLUBillikens.com site:

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-socc.../112108aaa.html

Sounds like the speed of this kid Charles Bryce caused the foul that lead to the late penalty kick and the goal. If we have speed like this on the bench, why was Bryce not used regularly earlier in the year as a sub to give the team energy up front in the 2nd half? So the Bills overcame injuries to notch their first NCAA win since 2003. Kudos to the boys!

Here is the article from the SLUBillikens.com site:

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-socc.../112108aaa.html

Sounds like the speed of this kid Charles Bryce caused the foul that lead to the late penalty kick and the goal. If we have speed like this on the bench, why was Bryce not used regularly earlier in the year as a sub to give the team energy up front in the 2nd half? So the Bills overcame injuries to notch their first NCAA win since 2003. Kudos to the boys!

That's like asking why we didn't use Horace Dixon more with the basketball team. Look, speed is one thing in soccer, but if you have no technical speed or mental speed in soccer, you won't cut it on the field. Look at Holmes. Great speed but average touch and average tactical sense. Bryce made an impact and that's great but doesn't meant Donigan made a mistake this whole season by not playing him. Bryce got a chance with injuries plaguing the team and he made the most of it.

And I like Bryce...big, strong, fast..... but the kid is definetly still adjusting to the speed of college game.

SLU did not look sharp last night in any respect. Way too many errant passes. Way too many breakdowns in the offensive third. Maybe it was the cold, but they cannot play like that versus Indiana and expect anything less than a beat-down. However, Indiana is prime for an upset this year so hopefully we can pull it out.

That's like asking why we didn't use Horace Dixon more with the basketball team. Look, speed is one thing in soccer, but if you have no technical speed or mental speed in soccer, you won't cut it on the field. Look at Holmes. Great speed but average touch and average tactical sense. Bryce made an impact and that's great but doesn't meant Donigan made a mistake this whole season by not playing him. Bryce got a chance with injuries plaguing the team and he made the most of it.

And I like Bryce...big, strong, fast..... but the kid is definetly still adjusting to the speed of college game.

SLU did not look sharp last night in any respect. Way too many errant passes. Way too many breakdowns in the offensive third. Maybe it was the cold, but they cannot play like that versus Indiana and expect anything less than a beat-down. However, Indiana is prime for an upset this year so hopefully we can pull it out.

I agree, when we saw Bryce last year he was really raw, but you could see he had potential. He played ok when he was in, and imo is at least an equal to Holmes. With Bryce it didn't look like his touch was that bad, but he seemed indicisive and tentative with what he wanted to do. Get the ball out in front of him where he can just use his strength and speed ... like the ball at the end of the game and he forced the foul on the Drake keep. I'm not sure though had he not been fouled that he'd have had the touch to manuever around the keeper and put the ball in the net, so I think the foul obviously turned out well for us. I don't think we played well at all, but I also don't think Drake out played us, they probably had possesion 60-40, but failed to really create much off it and their finishing in the final third was very poor. Without 3 starters we really tried to just contain them and counter by playing the ball long and forcing something. I would say that real chances were slim for both teams but about equal. We still aren't willing to take a shot at the goal when we have space from 25 yards, and without Kyle on the field Barkledge and Dado should have been looking to let it fly any chance they got and they weren't. We continually seemed to look for the extra pass which we couldn't connect. Pat D had a good game and if he's playing well, he can keep us in any game.

Anyone know whats up with Jaramillo. It's almost impossible for us to bring Ream or Callum into the offense without Jaramillo to fill in on the back line.

Maybe I don't watch enough college ball, but this is really brutal through the midfield for both teams.

Neither team played all that well through the midfield. Lots of stoppages of play, not a lot of flow, temps dipping down to 20 degrees at night. Execution wasn't always great for either team. SLU was missing three midfielders and tried multiple alignments during the game sometimes ineffectively. Different games take on different conditions. SLU dominated the midfield in several ties and a few losses this season or even in recent post-seasons. The post-season is obviously survive and advance.