Soccer Game

Bill_Ken R

Just got back and checked the Score yet another first round game going into OT for SLU. We all know how this ends. If the trend continues Donnigan needs to hop the next Greyhound outta' town.

Despite your "well wishes" before and during the game, SLU won the game. The coach's name is Donigan btw. Is it really too much to support the kids the day of the game?

Double OT what a shocker. Home field going into Double OT. Wonder if it will go into PK and how we'll fare?

Hmm let's see were you shocked that only 3 NCAA first round games were decided by more than one goal? Were you also shocked that 3 teams had to advance via PK's...including recent SLU NCAA opponents Northwestern, UIC. I'm sure UCLA wishes they didn't lose in the first round to Cal Poly.

Anyone know what happened to Patterson?

Kyle was taken down hard, flagrant foul in the 3rd minute. It was called. It wasn't intentionally malicious, but the result was, and he didn't return to the game, nor the stands. He has a fracture.

Hayes moved to the right flank and SLU mixed and matched the left side, up top and central mid throughout the game.

Here is the article from the SLUBillikens.com site:

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-socc.../112108aaa.html

Sounds like the speed of this kid Charles Bryce caused the foul that lead to the late penalty kick and the goal. If we have speed like this on the bench, why was Bryce not used regularly earlier in the year as a sub to give the team energy up front in the 2nd half? So the Bills overcame injuries to notch their first NCAA win since 2003. Kudos to the boys!

Charles was a diference maker last night with his size, strength, and also speed. The first two should be noted as well. His effort was non-stop. Charles hasn't been outperforming other forwards in practice, and therefore he hasn't played as much.

Charles came to SLU as a project, very very raw. His knowledge of the game was subpar as well as his experience, as well as his technical ability. He's improved by leaps and bounds over last year but still has a long way to go.

SLU wasn't getting much from its forwards, and it was 20 degrees outside and different things were tried. Charles made the most of his opportunity and created something out of nothing. He was dangerous multiple times, he was physical, and had a very high work rate.

It's SLU's first win since 2003, but 2nd time they've reached the round of 32 since their string of previous round of 16 and quarters.

Courtside there is a difference between soccer haters and people that are not happy with the results of the soccer program over the last five years. I know that is hard for you to understand. You seem to have no ability or willingness to understand how anyone could ever disagree with you about anything. Forgive me and other idiots for not always seeing it your way.

Courtside there is a difference between soccer haters and people that are not happy with the results of the soccer program over the last five years. I know that is hard for you to understand. You seem to have no ability or willingness to understand how anyone could ever disagree with you about anything. Forgive me and other idiots for not always seeing it your way.

Geez brianstl, stop trolling.

Scrappy game. At this point, it's the result that counts. But the double-OT is worrying due to tiredness. I'm hoping that DD can improve his use of subs next game or I fear the team will be flat and tired in the second half as has been the norm this season with back-to-back games.

I'll pre-empt courtside and bring up Ohio State - beat Oakland in PKs in freezing cold Michigan weather - game was shown free of charge on CBS online. Six starters suspended for missing curfew (and perhaps boozing it up) - including Scott Gallagher's own Tim Gabel - 5 freshman started and six players used in the games appeared in less than 5 games all season. Talk about a risky decision! I would expect the six starters will be back for the Akron game.

In my personal pool, I lost two 1st round games. I have Wake, Akron, Indiana and Maryland in the final four. Interested to hear others' final four picks.

Geez brianstl, stop trolling.

Scrappy game. At this point, it's the result that counts. But the double-OT is worrying due to tiredness. I'm hoping that DD can improve his use of subs next game or I fear the team will be flat and tired in the second half as has been the norm this season with back-to-back games.

I'll pre-empt courtside and bring up Ohio State - beat Oakland in PKs in freezing cold Michigan weather - game was shown free of charge on CBS online. Six starters suspended for missing curfew (and perhaps boozing it up) - including Scott Gallagher's own Tim Gabel - 5 freshman started and six players used in the games appeared in less than 5 games all season. Talk about a risky decision! I would expect the six starters will be back for the Akron game.

In my personal pool, I lost two 1st round games. I have Wake, Akron, Indiana and Maryland in the final four. Interested to hear others' final four picks.

I have the "under" in all the games.

That's like asking why we didn't use Horace Dixon more with the basketball team. Look, speed is one thing in soccer, but if you have no technical speed or mental speed in soccer, you won't cut it on the field. Look at Holmes. Great speed but average touch and average tactical sense. Bryce made an impact and that's great but doesn't meant Donigan made a mistake this whole season by not playing him. Bryce got a chance with injuries plaguing the team and he made the most of it.

And I like Bryce...big, strong, fast..... but the kid is definetly still adjusting to the speed of college game.

You can't coach size and speed. Was it a mistake not use this kid as a 2nd half sub earlier in the year in an attempt to give the team a lift? No one can say. It's conjecture both for and against the argument.

No Brian, it isn't necessary for negative posts BEFORE the game is even played. There is plenty of off-season time to discuss the program. You may deem it necessary to post negatively before a game is played saying this or that will likely happen or if this or that doesn't happen then this....or even during the game....those posts are pathetic and aren't all that necessary.

Re-read some of the posts Brian. Some were negative trolling flames, and not actually anything were discussing.

No Brian, it isn't necessary for negative posts BEFORE the game is even played. There is plenty of off-season time to discuss the program. You may deem it necessary to post negatively before a game is played saying this or that will likely happen or if this or that doesn't happen then this....or even during the game....those posts are pathetic and aren't all that necessary.

Re-read some of the posts Brian. Some were negative trolling flames, and not actually anything were discussing.

Coming from a guy that had no problem making a negative comment about Brad before a game or before the off season. The rules for you are different than anyone else. I should have known that before I posted. Negative comment from Courtside equals great insight. A negative comment from anyone else if it disagrees with Courtside equals trolling. I will not try to make the same mistake again.

Classic! Give a rest. You're absolutely ridiculous.

Huh? which ones? What are you even talking about?

I questioned the play through the midfield and A_Bomb expressed doubt about the outcome given recent results. That's "negative trolling flames".

Get over yourself.