Tommie on Kwamain

Box and Won

From Tom T.'s preview:

"This kid's good," Liddell said. "He's my favorite freshman right now. He's fast with the ball and I try to tell him to slow down. Unlike (Dwayne) Polk (last year's starting point guard), he can shoot the ball very well. His passing ability is out of this world right now. (Smile) He's making some incredible passes in practice."

BURN! :)

Link

Overall, I was disappointed by Timmerman's preview articles. Very little insights or new information. I don't think he accurately conveyed that Barry is not pencilled into the four roll, but will instead be battling for time with the freshmen bigs. (TT may not realize this fact.) He also implied that Femi John is ahead of Cassity and Cotto in the rotation, which is inaccurate unless things have changed drastically in the last week. .

Overall, I was disappointed by Timmerman's preview articles. Very little insights or new information. I don't think he accurately conveyed that Barry is not pencilled into the four roll, but will instead be battling for time with the freshmen bigs. (TT may not realize this fact.) He also implied that Femi John is ahead of Cassity and Cotto in the rotation, which is inaccurate unless things have changed drastically in the last week. .

David I agree with your impression but we really don't know anything. Since practice is closed it's all a quess on our part. My quess is that the rotation will be a work in progress. I know it's trite but I think Rick will play those who practice well,and we don't know who they are.

I agree. I thought his analysis was pretty weak as well. Seemed like he wrote it taking excerpts from that Int Tribune article.

David I agree with your impression but we really don't know anything. Since practice is closed it's all a quess on our part. My quess is that the rotation will be a work in progress. I know it's trite but I think Rick will play those who practice well,and we don't know who they are.

Just a week ago, I heard coach say that the four big men will share playing time depending upon match-ups and development. It was also very clear that Barry was not necessarily going to get more playing time then the three freshmen; yet the implication in today's article was exactly the opposite. Coach also said that Cotto and Cassity will likely be the first guards off the bench, but Timmerman's article implied that Eckerle would probably fill that role. Things may have changed in the last week, but I doubt it. Whether or not Timmerman watches practice, he can still take the time to sit down with Majerus. If Majerus isn't making himself available to Tom, there have been plenty of public speaking engagements he could have attended. It is just very disappointing to me when you can often obtain a lot more accurate and reliable information about the team on this board than you can from the local beat writer.

Just a week ago, I heard coach say that the four big men will share playing time depending upon match-ups and development. It was also very clear that Barry was not necessarily going to get more playing time then the three freshmen; yet the implication in today's article was exactly the opposite. Coach also said that Cotto and Cassity will likely be the first guards off the bench, but Timmerman's article implied that Eckerle would probably fill that role. Things may have changed in the last week, but I doubt it. Whether or not Timmerman watches practice, he can still take the time to sit down with Majerus. If Majerus isn't making himself available to Tom, there have been plenty of public speaking engagements he could have attended. It is just very disappointing to me when you can often obtain a lot more accurate and reliable information about the team on this board than you can from the local beat writer.

Maybe I missed it but I don't think RM has made Porter off limits to the media. I guess TT could have spoken to him if he can not get to RM.

Also, not to beat a dead horse but the article quoted RM several times regarding his concern for his freshmen and how they will react to playing against D1 opponents. He is still trying to lower expectations for the record.

I am not sure TL threw DP under the bus he simply stated a fact that everyone knew - DP had trouble knocking any type of a shot down.

Guest BillikenReport

I agree. I thought his analysis was pretty weak as well. Seemed like he wrote it taking excerpts from that Int Tribune article.

If you noticed some of the same quotes, it's probably because that's what Majerus said after the Harris-Stowe game.

That's why the Associated Press story, which was picked up by various papers/websites all over, sounded very similar.

i agree with david on femi john. i like femi's potential, but i cant see how he would be ahead of cotto in the rotation and in mins.

eckerle as well needs to get well. his appearances last week were far below the rest of the guards imo.

fyi, my sources say kevin lisch is still in a lot of pain. however any possible injury he might have likely wouldnt be detrimental to his physical being by continuing to play. just pain he would be playing through for a couple of weeks. still pain affects play and effectiveness. if i was rickma i would let kevin rest as much as possible tomorrow night.

Guest BillikenReport

When was the last time Tommie played with a true point guard who could create easy scoring opportunities for him?

I don't think he ever has, going back through the years at SLU, at Hargrave (where he played the point), East St. Louis and with the St. Louis Eagles.

Kwamain will get easier baskets for everybody on the floor with him.

i agree with david on femi john. i like femi's potential, but i cant see how he would be ahead of cotto in the rotation and in mins.

eckerle as well needs to get well. his appearances last week were far below the rest of the guards imo.

fyi, my sources say kevin lisch is still in a lot of pain. however any possible injury he might have likely wouldnt be detrimental to his physical being by continuing to play. just pain he would be playing through for a couple of weeks. still pain affects play and effectiveness. if i was rickma i would let kevin rest as much as possible tomorrow night.

I can still remember what Spoon put Virgil Cobbin through as he had no depth to back him up; I'll bet the young man know when the rain is coming through his bones