Annual Plea for SLU Football

i think on the ncaa level you would still have to provide equal opportunities for women. so beyond scholarships, you would still have to provide another women's sport with a coaching staff, facilities, insurance, etc. right? i dont pretend to be an expert on title ix, so this is more a question than an answer.

it was my understanding that the reason slu dropped golf and went to track and cross country was that they could use the same coaches for all and thus combine program expenses. so that only points out slu's tendency to go "lean" on these additional sports at this time.

roy, I did some digging with an excellent source. You are correct in that SLU would have to provide the same number of female spots that would be created by football. Even if you'd start football as a non-scholarship sport, you would have to add corresponding non-scholarship female spots. The only way you could get around it would be to start football as a club team. That's a tricky situation because the club team can't report into the athletic department and can't use the same locker rooms, training facilities, etc. It gets to the point that you can't even bring a club sport participant into the trainer's office if he/she gets hurt during a game. There are some exceptions to this rule based on the percentage of male/female students at a university. For example, the military acadamies simply don't have enough women to fill all of the spots, so they get a brake.

That said, I still don't think it's a bad idea to have some kind of football at SLU. There is plenty of money to go around. Maybe RM's signing is a sign of things to come.

Also, NAIA schools are subject to the same Title IX rules. i'm not sure how Lindenwood does it.

roy, I did some digging with an excellent source. You are correct in that SLU would have to provide the same number of female spots that would be created by football. Even if you'd start football as a non-scholarship sport, you would have to add corresponding non-scholarship female spots. The only way you could get around it would be to start football as a club team. That's a tricky situation because the club team can't report into the athletic department and can't use the same locker rooms, training facilities, etc. It gets to the point that you can't even bring a club sport participant into the trainer's office if he/she gets hurt during a game. There are some exceptions to this rule based on the percentage of male/female students at a university. For example, the military acadamies simply don't have enough women to fill all of the spots, so they get a brake.

That said, I still don't think it's a bad idea to have some kind of football at SLU. There is plenty of money to go around. Maybe RM's signing is a sign of things to come.

Also, NAIA schools are subject to the same Title IX rules. i'm not sure how Lindenwood does it.

Lindenwood offers scholarships and has a ridiculous number of sports (most have JV teams, too)....their administration realizes that athletics can get you on the "Map". Speaking of the "map"....other than Men's Basketball, football is the main sport the average fan cares about. If we want to build our fan base in SLU athletics, putting money in football is money better spent than spending it on sports who have limited fan and media interest. Most of those sports only break even at selected institutions...

You could get selected media members (ie Bernie) involved as "insiders" in the inception and roll out of a Pioneer League football team and we would be media darlings....especially if we hire a coach with some media savvy.

Lindenwood's list of sports:

Men's Sports

Baseball

Basketball

Bowling

Cheerleading

Cross Country

Cycling

Football

Golf

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Roller Hockey

Shooting Sports

Soccer

Swimming & Diving

Table Tennis

Tennis

Track & Field (Indoor)

Track & Field (Outdoor)

Volleyball

Water Polo

Wrestling

Women's Sports

Basketball

Bowling

Cheerleading

Cross Country

Cycling

Dance

Field Hockey

Golf

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Shooting Sports

Soccer

Softball

Swimming & Diving

Synchronized Skating

Synchronized Swimming

Table Tennis

Tennis

Track & Field (Indoor)

Track & Field (Outdoor)

Volleyball

Water Polo

Wrestling

Lindenwood offers scholarships and has a ridiculous number of sports (most have JV teams, too)....their administration realizes that athletics can get you on the "Map". Speaking of the "map"....other than Men's Basketball, football is the main sport the average fan cares about. If we want to build our fan base in SLU athletics, putting money in football is money better spent than spending it on sports who have limited fan and media interest. Most of those sports only break even at selected institutions...

You could get selected media members (ie Bernie) involved as "insiders" in the inception and roll out of a Pioneer League football team and we would be media darlings....especially if we hire a coach with some media savvy.

Lindenwood's list of sports:

Men's Sports

Baseball

Basketball

Bowling

Cheerleading

Cross Country

Cycling

Football

Golf

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Roller Hockey

Shooting Sports

Soccer

Swimming & Diving

Table Tennis

Tennis

Track & Field (Indoor)

Track & Field (Outdoor)

Volleyball

Water Polo

Wrestling

Women's Sports

Basketball

Bowling

Cheerleading

Cross Country

Cycling

Dance

Field Hockey

Golf

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Shooting Sports

Soccer

Softball

Swimming & Diving

Synchronized Skating

Synchronized Swimming

Table Tennis

Tennis

Track & Field (Indoor)

Track & Field (Outdoor)

Volleyball

Water Polo

Wrestling

My girlfriends "nephew" not really a nephew but a kid her sister took in about 12 years ago, because he was basically living on the streets, is a redshirt freshman wr at Lindenwood. He's on full scholarship but has to work so many hours a week which it's my understanding goes to the school. We went to a game earlier in the year and it was a fun atmospere, I would guess 3-4K were there. They have a very good team and the place alot of students were there. I had never been to Lindenwood before but the school is beautiful, new buildings everywhere and a really nice small football field built right in the middle of it all. It's really a beautiful stadium. I would think SLU would have to play on campus to get any kind of atmosphere.

My girlfriends "nephew" not really a nephew but a kid her sister took in about 12 years ago, because he was basically living on the streets, is a redshirt freshman wr at Lindenwood. He's on full scholarship but has to work so many hours a week which it's my understanding goes to the school. We went to a game earlier in the year and it was a fun atmospere, I would guess 3-4K were there. They have a very good team and the place alot of students were there. I had never been to Lindenwood before but the school is beautiful, new buildings everywhere and a really nice small football field built right in the middle of it all. It's really a beautiful stadium. I would think SLU would have to play on campus to get any kind of atmosphere.

There has been rumors of plans for a track/turf field on campus for Field Hockey, track and Rec use.....could be easily configured as a football stadium. Alot of smaller schools are going to fieldturf for their stadiums, because then they do not have to build a practice field, they can use the stadium for practice.

Wow...3-4K isn't so bad. I think SLU could do about 5K at least if they were playing at an NAIA level. How many people show up for a typical soccer game?

Wow...3-4K isn't so bad. I think SLU could do about 5K at least if they were playing at an NAIA level. How many people show up for a typical soccer game?

probably about 1K normally. They have a couple of big games a year where they get 5K or more, but on a normal game there is about 1K give or take. I also think there is a misconception that there are alot of students at the soccer games. There isn't. The Legion students are down to 5-6 people some games.

• 3 weeks later...

The University of New Orleans now has a club team. They played their first game last weekend...only two games scheduled this first season.

As some of you already know, there is a Midwest Club Football Conference featuring the likes of Xavier, Marquette, and SIU-Edwardsville.

No Title IX worries with a club team.

Unofficial UNO Football Website

The University of New Orleans now has a club team. They played their first game last weekend...only two games scheduled this first season.

As some of you already know, there is a Midwest Club Football Conference featuring the likes of Xavier, Marquette, and SIU-Edwardsville.

Club teams are okay provided they use none of the athletic department facilities or personnel.

The other team in the MCFC is Miami-OH.

I actually attended the Xavier-Marquette club game here at Withrow HS in Cincinnati this past weekend. A buddy of mine is XU's defensive coordinator; he played college ball at the D2 powerhouse Georgetown (KY). Xavier won easily, as Marquette apparently was missing a number of key players and actually had some guys playing both ways. XU's only loss of the year so far was at Lincoln in Jefferson City.

A lot of the XU players are from the powerhouse programs in Ohio, but not at the level of guys who got many college offers and just wanted to keep playing. The quality of football isn't the greatest, which has more to do with the limited resources afforded to club teams rather than the talent of the players. XU has a couple of gigantic players- I saw one guy, 79, who is listed at 6'3" 360 and was surprised to see someone that big...until I saw number 72, listed at (I kid you not) 6'6", 475. Needless to say, these guys are beyond slow and the bigger one has some knee problems. Still fun to watch, though.

He says there's still a strong push from the Xavier alumni to get a scholarship football program off the ground, with some donors waiting in the wings. I don't know how seriously the administration is taking this push, but it's certainly out there.

http://www.xavier.edu/football/

He says there's still a strong push from the Xavier alumni to get a scholarship football program off the ground...

Are you sure the push is for a scholarship program? Given the cost of scholarships at XU--and the fact that Dayton has a nonscholarship program--I would think the immediate goal would be to join the Pioneer Football League. With scholarships, they might have to compete as an independent. 'Rough way to go.

Pushing for an NCAA varsity team? That's for sure.

Unofficial PFL Page

Are you sure the push is for a scholarship program? Given the cost of scholarships at XU--and the fact that Dayton has a nonscholarship program--I would think the immediate goal would be to join the Pioneer Football League. With scholarships, they might have to compete as an independent. 'Rough way to go.

Unofficial PFL Page

if we get the track and cross country teams going well then football might be worthwhile at some level as we would have the speed people for wide receivers and backs

Unofficial PFL Page

That's what he said. Maybe the alums will shoot for the moon and settle for whatever form of a varsity program they can get.

Charlotte is rumored to be adding football.

From the Sports Business Daily.......

UNC CHARLOTTE TRUSTEES VOTE TO MOVE FORWARD WITH FOOTBALL PROGRAM

The UNC Charlotte Board of Trustees today voted 8-0, with one abstention, to adopt Chancellor Philip Dubois’ “plan that could add a football program at the school.” Dubois in September proposed the school field a team in 2013, “if boosters and football fans demonstrated support by raising $5[M] in six months to help build a $45.3[M] stadium complex.” As of yesterday, the school had received 4,167 reservations for a $1,000 seat license, which “could translate into more than $4.1[M]” (CHARLOTTEOBSERVER.com, 11/13).

From the Sports Business Daily.......

UNC CHARLOTTE TRUSTEES VOTE TO MOVE FORWARD WITH FOOTBALL PROGRAM

The UNC Charlotte Board of Trustees today voted 8-0, with one abstention, to adopt Chancellor Philip Dubois’ “plan that could add a football program at the school.” Dubois in September proposed the school field a team in 2013, “if boosters and football fans demonstrated support by raising $5[M] in six months to help build a $45.3[M] stadium complex.” As of yesterday, the school had received 4,167 reservations for a $1,000 seat license, which “could translate into more than $4.1[M]” (CHARLOTTEOBSERVER.com, 11/13).

I'm jealous. :angry:

This morning's edition of Sporting News Today gives a mention of Charlotte's pursuit of a football program. The school hopes to begin play in the Football Championship Subdivision (Formerly known as D-1AA) by 2013. It says the school must raise close to $45 million to pay for coaches and scholarships, plus build a 12,000 seat on-campus stadium.

This morning's edition of Sporting News Today gives a mention of Charlotte's pursuit of a football program. The school hopes to begin play in the Football Championship Subdivision (Formerly known as D-1AA) by 2013. It says the school must raise close to $45 million to pay for coaches and scholarships, plus build a 12,000 seat on-campus stadium.

I should ask my uncle, T. Boone And Won, if he would be willing to make a donation to our cause.