First game at New Arena

of course they dont "control" those outlets. however, what are our efforts to get included? you cant tell me that if rickma had passed the breakout of the aussie coach to bernie prior to the last bits column, bernie wouldnt have ran with that? or same with timmermann and his blog? it appeared to me that the athletic dept was content to plant that story at slubillikens.com and that was it. how many st louis casual sports fans do you think open slubillikens.com? i would guess less than 1.

i dont care how many stories other schools are getting. i only care about slu.

as to making a difference, sell one more season ticket it is worth it. we are in the middle of selling season tickets right now. why wouldnt we want to be as visiable as possible?

save? you want to save news about say the aussie coach for three months from now? you want to save updates on teresa lisch playing in europe right now for three months from now?

you want to save a schedule closing that might really hype the program for three months from now?

the point is, there should be a regular flow of information. not just 3 stories in october.

it boggles my mind that folks endorse our silence.

There was a good size headline, maybe 3/4" in bold and a paragraph about the hiring of the new coach in today's Post

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

of course they dont "control" those outlets. however, what are our efforts to get included? you cant tell me that if rickma had passed the breakout of the aussie coach to bernie prior to the last bits column, bernie wouldnt have ran with that? or same with timmermann and his blog? it appeared to me that the athletic dept was content to plant that story at slubillikens.com and that was it. how many st louis casual sports fans do you think open slubillikens.com? i would guess less than 1.

as to making a difference, sell one more season ticket it is worth it. we are in the middle of selling season tickets right now. why wouldnt we want to be as visiable as possible?

save? you want to save news about say the aussie coach for three months from now? you want to save updates on teresa lisch playing in europe right now for three months from now?

you want to save a schedule closing that might really hype the program for three months from now?

the point is, there should be a regular flow of information. not just 3 stories in october.

Who would you like to see open the new arena?

Who would you like to see open the new arena?

i'm with skip. no patsy. i couldnt care less if it means we might not win the first game. give the area a reason to wish they were there. prarie view isnt going to make the casual fan want to get in on it.

Roy and David---I have enjoyed reading your (and Clock's) back and forth on this topic, which is buried in a thread with a different topic as its name. What is unusual is that I find myself agreeing with both of you, even though you have opposite opinions. David, you make some very well-thoughtout points in defense of the A. Dept./media---you are right--we should NOT be spending $$$ on any MBB promotions now when most local sports fans have other sporting interests. However, on balance I have to come down on the BR/CT side of this equation. Our SLU Ath. Dept. employees should be doing more, and almost nothing would qualify as "more." I listen to 590 and 1380 at various times most days and frankly the hosts of the various shows appear to be in dire need of topics/guests. BR/CT are correct-we could be doing a lot of things which would be free, but which would keep SLU MBB in the public eye. I'm excited about the future of SLU MBB so they "had me at hello." The administration needs to build fan base not just rely on us over 50 guys. To do that you have to have exposure. As suggested by others, go on the talk shows for interviews for any number of subjects, such as tidbits of the OOC schedule, arrange to have the new Asst. Coach be interviewed. Have a summer camp for coaches and grade/high school players. To answer someone's question in this thread, yes these camps still exist----------Gary P. and his UM football staff have great success and great media exposure by holding these annually in STL, KC & Springfield---GP was all over the local airwaves being interviewed during these (and doubtless building interest in his UM FB program) Heck, even the UMSL Men's BB HC has these camps and gets a certain amount of media coverage with regard to them.

Where in the H#!! is the SLU MBB staff???????? Don't tell me they are too busy due to recruiting. These camps ARE recruiting. Note how many verbals GP got for his FB program after the camps and how many kids mention these camps when signing NLIs! Also, as I noted in another thread, where is C May???????? Did he get a 3 month vacation just after starting his new job?????

If no one else, come on Father B. You have alot invested in this program and your entire A. Dept is letting you and the school down (I limit my definition of "entire" in this thread to those with any media and/or MBB responsibilities).

SLU doesn't control Bernie's Bits or Timmerman's blog. At least Majerus has the full respect of Bernie, unlike the last coach. The blog and the bits will mention SLU when there is news to blog about. How many bits, blogs, or stories are you seeing come out of the basketball programs at MU, UI, and Carbondale these days? I don't believe marketing, public relations, or other efforts make a damn bit of difference in July and August unless there is some breaking news to tie it to. SLU can make all the sales pitches they want to the local media, but Rams training camp, the Cardinals pennant race, and the fast-approaching MU and UI football seasons are the only things the local sports media and fan cares about right now. There are not an unlimited number of opportunities to grab the attention of the media outlets, so why not save the efforts until the Fall when people may pay attention or care?

a fairly accurate and objective assessment of sports media reality in stl imo - thank you david

Roy and David---I have enjoyed reading your (and Clock's) back and forth on this topic, which is buried in a thread with a different topic as its name. What is unusual is that I find myself agreeing with both of you, even though you have opposite opinions. David, you make some very well-thoughtout points in defense of the A. Dept./media---you are right--we should NOT be spending $$$ on any MBB promotions now when most local sports fans have other sporting interests. However, on balance I have to come down on the BR/CT side of this equation. Our SLU Ath. Dept. employees should be doing more, and almost nothing would qualify as "more." I listen to 590 and 1380 at various times most days and frankly the hosts of the various shows appear to be in dire need of topics/guests. BR/CT are correct-we could be doing a lot of things which would be free, but which would keep SLU MBB in the public eye. I'm excited about the future of SLU MBB so they "had me at hello." The administration needs to build fan base not just rely on us over 50 guys. To do that you have to have exposure. As suggested by others, go on the talk shows for interviews for any number of subjects, such as tidbits of the OOC schedule, arrange to have the new Asst. Coach be interviewed. Have a summer camp for coaches and grade/high school players. To answer someone's question in this thread, yes these camps still exist----------Gary P. and his UM football staff have great success and great media exposure by holding these annually in STL, KC & Springfield---GP was all over the local airwaves being interviewed during these (and doubtless building interest in his UM FB program) Heck, even the UMSL Men's BB HC has these camps and gets a certain amount of media coverage with regard to them.

Where in the H#!! is the SLU MBB staff???????? Don't tell me they are too busy due to recruiting. These camps ARE recruiting. Note how many verbals GP got for his FB program after the camps and how many kids mention these camps when signing NLIs! Also, as I noted in another thread, where is C May???????? Did he get a 3 month vacation just after starting his new job?????

If no one else, come on Father B. You have alot invested in this program and your entire A. Dept is letting you and the school down (I limit my definition of "entire" in this thread to those with any media and/or MBB responsibilities).

-we have no idea what efforts the adept or mbb or anyone may be taking to get slu mentioned in the press, but this is not prime time for slu sports

-as to chris may, i am not sure in what shape the adept was in when he arrived, but if any of you have ever been put in a situation to clean up a program/business/dept you know how long and hard that effort can be, so if he inherited a mess, it will take some time to turn that around, but again, i don't know if that is the situation

-i realize only one point, but the adept website looks a lot better than it had

I agree Bauman. Both sides make good arguments and have good points. We probably shouldn't be spending a ton of money on marketing if the season is still far away. But I don't think we are talking about marketing...we are talking about publicity. It's free to go on the air and talk. And there is plenty of air time available We also forget that the AD staff is payed for a 12 month year, not a 4 month season. If every employee took one hour a week to try and get our team in the media, we would be a lot better off. David also makes a point about people not caring at this point. I would agree with that. But does that mean we shouldn't be trying? 5 years ago, I didn't know anybody who cared about Texas Hold'em, 4th of July hot dog eating contest, or bowling for that matter. Due to constant barrage of media, they are now huge hits. To a certain extent, the media can dictate what people are interested in. We should get in on that.

There was a good size headline, maybe 3/4" in bold and a paragraph about the hiring of the new coach in today's Post

Yes, but a day late. TheDude tipped us off to the news with his post 2 days ago - G'Day Mate. Why this wasn't given to Bernie and the Post 2 days ago to run with the day before - yesterday. Instead, it was up the next morning on SLUBillikens.com (yesterday) but not in the Post until today. Why?? Planning or incompetence. I say the latter. Good job AD May!!