All-Star Game

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said the lcoal team was overmatched but the game was tight most of the game, but the national team pulled away earlier in the 4th, and late in the game the score was 124-119 with maybe a minute or so left in the contest. The team was not overmatched. If Brian McGee would've played more, I believe the local team would've won. He was great when he played.

Guest BillikenReport

Someone said the lcoal team was overmatched but the game was tight most of the game, but the national team pulled away earlier in the 4th, and late in the game the score was 124-119 with maybe a minute or so left in the contest. The team was not overmatched. If Brian McGee would've played more, I believe the local team would've won. He was great when he played.

The local team was overmatched. The national squad had 13 D-1 players. The local team had five or six (if you count Abel Tillman who committed D-1 but has to go JUCO). The local team kept it close in the fourth quarter by making six 3-pointers.

If the local team had the players who were supposed to play, like Anthony Booker, Torres Roundtree, Drew Hanlen, Kramer Soderberg, Jesse Perry and Josh McCoy and convinced others like John Brandenburg and Jared Swopshire to play, it would have been much more even.

- Nate

There being more D1 players doesnt make it uneven. Going D1 doesnt make you a better player than a guy who doesnt go D1. Going into the 4th quarter the game was about even. To start the 4th quarter the national team went on a run that the local team never recovered from. They werent overmatched. If they had blown them out, I could see your point, but they never did and a couple of bounces the other way and the local team might have won. And since you're naming guys that could've helped, what about a Anthony James. He never got his due this year. He never got his credit as a top tier player in the area. He was left out of the Main Event at the Riverwar and not chosen to play in last night's contest either. Booker, Roundtree, and Hobbs are all going to play in the MVC, so is Anthony James.

Guest BillikenReport

V,

Of course you would try to argue that the local collection of JUCO-bound players was not overmatched against legitimate D-1 kids.

You also said Hobbs didn't play bad, despite his two-for-12 shooting performance. I think Hobbs could be a very good player in a couple years with good coaching, because he's a great athlete and should become a consistent outside shooter, but by no stretch of the imagination did he play well in that game. He struggled, as did a lot of other guys on his team.

Congrats on bringing up Anthony James. He's better than several of the guards on the local team and I don't know why he wasn't there.

To end the overmatched argument I'll just say that outside of the opening minutes, the score never indicated that local team was overmatched and the local team even lead at times later on in the game. And as far as James, the respect is appreciated. He's playing pretty well in the Primetime league in Iowa. Hobbs is participating in a Pro-Am League as well at Missouri State. Do you know if the Bills are gonna play in any leagues like those in the future?

how was he highly quetionable? He didnt do anyhting wrong he just went back to be closer to his family. Will MIZZOU have any returniing guards?

Re-read my post and see I wasn't clear. Don't mean to imply he is questionable in the sense that he thinks it OK to drive around in the early morning hours with a sawed-off shot gun, that he drives drunk or likes to get into bar fights... Instead, I meant more in the sense that Keon is a highly questional student athlete. This kid should never have been recruited by Mizzou in the first place. I forgot that Quin recruited him and that Watkins/Anderson convinced him to stay.

In any event, it is one thing to leave Mizzou for another school and it is not unusual to miss home and move back home. With that said, though, Keon is not even sure he is going to another school. I admit that I don't think like the prima donna athlete who must go to a few classes in order to do the only thing in life he cares about but this kid sounds like he has no clue. No father in his life, abandoned by his mother as a teen, living on the streets. 2 dead brothers, returning to a shaky and disfunctional home in Newark, NJ. What a desparte and risky move by Mizzou and Quin to even take a chance that this kid would be interested in coming to Columbia, Missouri to truly earn a college education.

Now, to read Anderson say "The well-being our student athletes is always a chief concern...." What a joke.

There being more D1 players doesnt make it uneven. Going D1 doesnt make you a better player than a guy who doesnt go D1. Going into the 4th quarter the game was about even. To start the 4th quarter the national team went on a run that the local team never recovered from. They werent overmatched. If they had blown them out, I could see your point, but they never did and a couple of bounces the other way and the local team might have won. And since you're naming guys that could've helped, what about a Anthony James. He never got his due this year. He never got his credit as a top tier player in the area. He was left out of the Main Event at the Riverwar and not chosen to play in last night's contest either. Booker, Roundtree, and Hobbs are all going to play in the MVC, so is Anthony James.

Just read on Ramey site that Anthony James was invited but could not get home from school.

http://rameybball.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=484

As was big John. I don't think Brandenburg would have made a difference though. Also Nate after watching the game on tape from it being broadcast this morning on charter, Walker did not shoot it 26 times as you stated in your post and article but by my count 19 give or take a couple.

I'll add my 2 cents on the Billiken players

1. KM ... he likes to penetrate and kick it out. He's quick but not ultra quick. His shot looked ok, but wasn't falling and he really didn't look to score much. There was alot of offensive talent on his team and he looked like he was comfortable just leading the team. I could see him taking that role this year with Tommie and Kevin benefitting.

2. FJ ... the first thing I noticed was how strong he is compared to the other guards on the floor. He doesn't shoot great, but looks like he can get to the basket at will. He has quckness to go along with his srength and is smooth. He finished well with a soft touch on his drives

3. WR ... Ultra athletic, great hops. I'm going to disagree with everyone on his shot (besides the dunk) It needs alot of work. He holds it high when close and just flicks it with his wrist. From further out he starts low and still flicks his wrist when he releases the ball. I see him providing some minutes if he doesn't redshirt, but he is very raw.

Guest BillikenReport

Also Nate after watching the game on tape from it being broadcast this morning on charter, Walker did not shoot it 26 times as you stated in your post and article but by my count 19 give or take a couple.

I kept track of every shot in the game. Of course I could be off by one or two, but I had him making 11 of 26 shots. He was three for six in the first quarter, one for three in the second quarter, two for eight in the third quarter and five for nine in the fourth quarter.

Just read on Ramey site that Anthony James was invited but could not get home from school.

http://rameybball.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=484

As was big John. I don't think Brandenburg would have made a difference though. Also Nate after watching the game on tape from it being broadcast this morning on charter, Walker did not shoot it 26 times as you stated in your post and article but by my count 19 give or take a couple.

He may have gotten a late invite, but its hard for me to believe that they would've chosen him if they could've gotten Booker, Brandenburg, Roundtree, Soderberg, Hanlen, McCoy, or even Anthony Campbell. I might be wrong, but thats my opinion. From watching the games, reading a lot of the articles on all the local sites. He's the forgotten man among the elite.

Guest BillikenReport

He may have gotten a late invite, but its hard for me to believe that they would've chosen him if they could've gotten Booker, Brandenburg, Roundtree, Soderberg, Hanlen, McCoy, or even Anthony Campbell. I might be wrong, but thats my opinion. From watching the games, reading a lot of the articles on all the local sites. He's the forgotten man among the elite.

My guess is they tried to get all the local D-1 kids in the game. Obviously that didn't happen, so they added some guys later on.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Willen and Brian McGee were added very late in the process, maybe even the day before. I got a call from one of the organizers a day or two before asking about a certain kid they were trying to get to play.

Re-read my post and see I wasn't clear. Don't mean to imply he is questionable in the sense that he thinks it OK to drive around in the early morning hours with a sawed-off shot gun, that he drives drunk or likes to get into bar fights... Instead, I meant more in the sense that Keon is a highly questional student athlete. This kid should never have been recruited by Mizzou in the first place. I forgot that Quin recruited him and that Watkins/Anderson convinced him to stay.

In any event, it is one thing to leave Mizzou for another school and it is not unusual to miss home and move back home. With that said, though, Keon is not even sure he is going to another school. I admit that I don't think like the prima donna athlete who must go to a few classes in order to do the only thing in life he cares about but this kid sounds like he has no clue. No father in his life, abandoned by his mother as a teen, living on the streets. 2 dead brothers, returning to a shaky and disfunctional home in Newark, NJ. What a desparte and risky move by Mizzou and Quin to even take a chance that this kid would be interested in coming to Columbia, Missouri to truly earn a college education.

Now, to read Anderson say "The well-being our student athletes is always a chief concern...." What a joke.

Why should they not have recruited him. The background you describe is awful and it sounds like something he should've been able to get away from. He was on pace to graduate. He was doing fine in his classes. He wanted to play college basketball and MU wanted a talented player. I'm not seeing how anyone was a problem or at fault in this situation. In one of the articles Lawrence said " Its not the coaches, its not the players." He was one of the guys that stayed out of trouble at MU. I wish him nothing but the best as he figures it all out. Big blow to their team as he was their best guard, despite the sophomore slump.

Guest BillikenReport

... In one of the articles Lawrence said " Its not the coaches, its not the players." ...

Actually, what he said was: "It’s not my teammates, and it’s not the fans. That should tell you something," Lawrence said of his reasons for leaving.

Here's the link: http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/Jun/20080628Spor004.asp

That has a different meaning that what you posted.

STL Hoops,

Is Anthony James the kid from Normandy? If so, that kid isn't very good! He can't dribble, shoot, or defend. He scored alot of points because he shot the ball everytime he touched it! He won't be at Northern Iowa past one year. UMSL needs to take a close look at him.

Nate you're right, but that doesnt change my point. He said they shouldn't have recruited him because he was a questionable student athlete, but he was a fine student athlete who was doing fine on the court and in the classroom. What was questionable about recruiting Keon Lawrence?

And SS601, given your track record, your bashing of James only strengthens my argument.

STL Hoops,

Is Anthony James the kid from Normandy? If so, that kid isn't very good! He can't dribble, shoot, or defend. He scored alot of points because he shot the ball everytime he touched it! He won't be at Northern Iowa past one year. UMSL needs to take a close look at him.

yeah you've got a lot of credibility.

Nate you're right, but that doesnt change my point. He said they shouldn't have recruited him because he was a questionable student athlete, but he was a fine student athlete who was doing fine on the court and in the classroom. What was questionable about recruiting Keon Lawrence?

And SS601, given your track record, your bashing of James only strengthens my argument.

STL Hoops,

I think you should be the last person speaking on a track record in regards to players. Anthony James was an average player on an average high school team. Northern Iowa gave him a scholarship with the hopes of recruiting more St.louis players in the near future. That's the TRUTH!!!! Heck, the local DII and even NAIA schools had doubts about signing him. If UMSL doesn't go after him next year he might end up at Lindenwood.

STL Hoops,

I think you should be the last person speaking on a track record in regards to players. Anthony James was an average player on an average high school team. Northern Iowa gave him a scholarship with the hopes of recruiting more St.louis players in the near future. That's the TRUTH!!!! Heck, the local DII and even NAIA schools had doubts about signing him. If UMSL doesn't go after him next year he might end up at Lindenwood.

Nate what are your thoughts on Anthony James as I also was not that impressed by this kid. Does he fit into UNI style and is he talented enough to play in the Valley or is SS601 right on target.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate what are your thoughts on Anthony James as I also was not that impressed by this kid. Does he fit into UNI style and is he talented enough to play in the Valley or is SS601 right on target.

I think he's improved the weak areas of his game in recent years and seems to be a kid who plays with a chip on his shoulder, like he always has something to prove. He's a good shooter and he'll shoot it from anywhere. We'll see how he does at Northern Iowa and if he lasts there for a couple years. The last area kid to go there, if I remember correctly, was Stephen Jones out of Civic Memorial. He was there for a year and then transferred to SIU-Edwardsville after considering going to SWIC.

The last area kid to go there, if I remember correctly, was Stephen Jones out of Civic Memorial. He was there for a year and then transferred to SIU-Edwardsville after considering going to SWIC.

lucas o'rear was a freshmen there last year.

STL Hoops,

One word about my track record............................HARRELLSON

You dont know what Northern Iowa's recruiting plans are. What wasn't impressive about his play? His ability to shoot from the perimeter, his speed, his ability to play above the rim? The only thing that held up his recruitment was that he didnt qualify until late December. It's really pointless to argue with guys who dont know what college coaches and programs are looking for. Nate and a few others can actually contribute to the conversation, but many others are just way off. If you can watch him and not think that he's good enough for the Valley, then I dont know what you want out of a basketball player. He's of to a good start down there in the primetime league too. http://primetimeleague.com/ptlstats6-23.htm

His team wasn't average, they had a record of somewhere around 20-6 with an 18 game winning streak at the state's top level. Which game(s) did you see him play? I've arguably seen more games in the area than anyone else this season. Outside of Nate, did anyone else even make all 3 local All-Star games? Nate and I dont agree, but at least I can respect his opinion whether I agree or not.

One word about my track record............................HARRELLSON

You dont know what Northern Iowa's recruiting plans are. What wasn't impressive about his play? His ability to shoot from the perimeter, his speed, his ability to play above the rim? The only thing that held up his recruitment was that he didnt qualify until late December. It's really pointless to argue with guys who dont know what college coaches and programs are looking for. Nate and a few others can actually contribute to the conversation, but many others are just way off. If you can watch him and not think that he's good enough for the Valley, then I dont know what you want out of a basketball player. He's of to a good start down there in the primetime league too. http://primetimeleague.com/ptlstats6-23.htm

His team wasn't average, they had a record of somewhere around 20-6 with an 18 game winning streak at the state's top level. Which game(s) did you see him play? I've arguably seen more games in the area than anyone else this season. Outside of Nate, did anyone else even make all 3 local All-Star games? Nate and I dont agree, but at least I can respect his opinion whether I agree or not.

You got one right. You have been wrong on many others.

I was all alone on that one, except for Henry B and now he'll be suiting up for Kentucky. There were very few guys that I actually said offer. I said lots of guys should get a look, but there was a very small number that I said should get offers. Many were overzealous and jumped the gun thinking I said that taking a look means offer, when that wasnt the case. I always felt I was clear, but I guess I wasnt.

I was all alone on that one, except for Henry B and now he'll be suiting up for Kentucky. There were very few guys that I actually said offer. I said lots of guys should get a look, but there was a very small number that I said should get offers. Many were overzealous and jumped the gun thinking I said that taking a look means offer, when that wasnt the case. I always felt I was clear, but I guess I wasnt.

I think Nate and BBF were always pretty high on Josh. You said many of those kids should have had offers. You also said at one point that a few of the players at Harris were good enough. Don't try to change history. It is ok to admit you were wrong in the past.