St. Louis University Football

I'll just add to that the Title IX issue. If your D1 college football program requires 60 scholarships then you also need to create 60 scholarships for women. Beyond the facilities, it's a huge annual outlay of cash to maintain a D1 football program. Some very, very deep pockets would need to get behind such a project. The university has just completed the two largest building projects of it's existence. Can't imagine a football program would be even considered in the foreseeable future.

JJ, a long time ago I sold insurance right after college and my manager asked a simple question-who is a better prospect a man with no insurance or one with three existing policies. He was successful and insisted it was easier to sell a 4th policy to a man who already believed in the program than the first one to a man who never had any. My analogy would be since we just committed to and got backing for a science building and a first class on campus arena that we should next work on new chemistry labs and D1 football. If we have to settle for the level of Drake who has first class track and field; so be it. Let us continue to build. It won't be long before others catch us if we settle for what we have just accomplished; especially, if they have state tax dollar support.

JJ, a long time ago I sold insurance right after college and my manager asked a simple question-who is a better prospect a man with no insurance or one with three existing policies. He was successful and insisted it was easier to sell a 4th policy to a man who already believed in the program than the first one to a man who never had any. My analogy would be since we just committed to and got backing for a science building and a first class on campus arena that we should next work on new chemistry labs and D1 football. If we have to settle for the level of Drake who has first class track and field; so be it. Let us continue to build. It won't be long before others catch us if we settle for what we have just accomplished; especially, if they have state tax dollar support.

Maybe we just take a few million dollars and just burn it in the Quad. Think of all the great publicity! I am sure there are lots of important people who would want to contribute so we don't fall behind in the "burning money" race! I betcha those wimpy track athletes at Drake would never do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little blurb from the Detroit Free Press on Detroit Mercy's efforts to re-establish a football program. Gaither is the AD:

CFP: What's up with bringing a football program to UDM?

GAITHER: We continue to explore that. There is a moratorium by the NCAA on adding football right now. So the earliest we could actually have a program in place would be 2011-12, so that slowed our process down a little bit. But it just seems like it makes so much sense for the university, for enrollment initiatives, for campus life and having a traditional homecoming.

Here's a little blurb from the Detroit Free Press on Detroit Mercy's efforts to re-establish a football program. Gaither is the AD:

Detroit has no money to begin with and they think they are going to bring back football? Wayne State, a much larger and public institution across town in Detroit has explored the jump to D-1 and so far it's going nowhere.

BTW, a recent report stated that only 19 Division I-A football programs turned a profit last year. It just isn't worth it for SLU.

Detroit has no money to begin with and they think they are going to bring back football? Wayne State, a much larger and public institution across town in Detroit has explored the jump to D-1 and so far it's going nowhere.

BTW, a recent report stated that only 19 Division I-A football programs turned a profit last year. It just isn't worth it for SLU.

It is not about being 1-A football or turning a profit. It would be about starting a 1-AA non-scholarship football program. It could be very good for the school when it comes to alumni relations and in turn help further drive donations to the school. Many schools similar to SLU have started this type of program. Homecoming with the soccer game is nice, but nothing like a football game would be. Having any kind of football program would help attract more students. The key would be finding the donor money to start a progam up.

It is not about being 1-A football or turning a profit. It would be about starting a 1-AA non-scholarship football program. It could be very good for the school when it comes to alumni relations and in turn help further drive donations to the school. Many schools similar to SLU have started this type of program. Homecoming with the soccer game is nice, but nothing like a football game would be. Having any kind of football program would help attract more students. The key would be finding the donor money to start a progam up.

Adolphus Busch IV would be a good person to start asking.

ah yes, glorified HS ball in front of 1000 people max while needing to find ways to make up for the huge hit adding 60+ players would do to our Title IX compliance.

You greatly overestimate the impact this level of football would have. Football won't attract new students unless it's big time, and ours would not be. Butler and Valpo are 2 of the worst I-AA programs in the nation, that's who our peers would be. It isn't worth it.

BTW, LaSalle recently dropped football, not worth it.

ah yes, glorified HS ball in front of 1000 people max while needing to find ways to make up for the huge hit adding 60+ players would do to our Title IX compliance.

I don't have a dog in this fight, really, but, BLaw, you're missing the point. Non-scholarship football wouldn't affect Title IX compliance.

Now, back to my ambivalence.

I don't have a dog in this fight, really, but, BLaw, you're missing the point. Non-scholarship football wouldn't affect Title IX compliance.

Now, back to my ambivalence.

actually it would. The overall student-athlete population is used in determining Title IX compliance, not just scholarship opportunities. Now, depending on what prong SLU uses for compliance adding 60+ male athletes would really screw things up in regards to the proportionality prong (SA populations reflecting that of the overall student body population, which is majority female) or the equal opportunity prong. SLU wouldn't have to add female scholarships, BUT they would have to add sports and opportunities for females.

many forget slu most recently was dropping sports not adding (golf out, in place "added" track (even if most of the athletes are also on the cross country team)). i would much rather we approach fully supporting the sports we have now before stretching even further by adding the likes of a high cost sport like football. having a whole bunch of mediocre sports programs that cant compete recruitingwise doesnt make much sense to me. improve those existing programs first.

It would have sure been cool to see the return of SLU Hockey in this new venue.

wouldnt that have defeated one of the greatest attributes of chaifetz? the fact that the floor is not configured for hockey is a huge selling point as everyone is at least about 25 feet closer to the floor now.

wouldnt that have defeated one of the greatest attributes of chaifetz? the fact that the floor is not configured for hockey is a huge selling point as everyone is at least about 25 feet closer to the floor now.

Perhaps. But some sort of retractable seating could have been designed. But that, along with the ice, probably would have added an unreasonable cost to the project. It just would have been kind of cool to see top level college hockey return.

Perhaps. But some sort of retractable seating could have been designed. But that, along with the ice, probably would have added an unreasonable cost to the project. It just would have been kind of cool to see top level college hockey return.

I agree - even if they had to play at Scottrade. Sounds like the games used to be a lot of fun back in the 60s and 70s.

I agree with Roy that an ice rink would have adversely affected Chaifetz. The University of Denver has an arena that is basically a hockey rink first and basketball arena second, and it seems to work MUCH better for hockey than bball. I think Boston U. is the same way.