Perry, Harris, Hobbs to JUCO near SIU

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/casslogan.html

Nate, does this give SIU the inside track on getting Perry in a couple years?

Why would SIU have an inside track? If anything, most JUCOs are located in awful small towns where the kids are bored to tears and most likely kicking and screaming to get out of town. Unless they fall in love with rural Southern Illinois, could see this probably working against you.

Believe we SLU fans often forget how nice it is to go to school in a larger city but still have a campus. With all the improvements, closing of streets, acquisition of land and buildings, SLU is really improving its chances and ability to recruit student athletes as well as regular students.

Believe we SLU fans often forget how nice it is to go to school in a larger city but still have a campus. With all the improvements, closing of streets, acquisition of land and buildings, SLU is really improving its chances and ability to recruit student athletes as well as regular students.

The SLU campus looks better every year and admittedly I was at SLU from 96-00 and the improvement made since then are tremendous. That said, the campus did more to damage my view of the school that it helped. I grew up on the SIU campus and the aesthetic beauty of the campus is incredible. When I visited SLU for the first time I couldn't believe what a dump the campus appeared to be.

SLU's campus especially when compared to other urban campus's is seriously behind (mostly due to the area it is in). Compare our campus to Wash U or Depaul, the only other urban universities that I am really familiar with the campus and we look awful.

I am 100% confident I made the decision I made to attend SLU was the correct one but lets not kid ourselves into believing that the campus does any favors in recruiting students. In 10 years, I may be singing a different tune but until the revitalization of the Midtown Neighborhood is complete, I think the campus will do more to hurt that help recruitment.

i don't know what you're talking about. slu's campus is much nicer than depaul's or siu-c's. i don't really consider wash u an urban campus. its in clayton. urban campuses are marquette, gonzaga, depaul, loyola, xavier, fordham, bc, georgetown, etc. haven't seen bc, gonzaga, or g'town so can't comment on those but slu is much nicer than any of the otherrs.

The SLU campus looks better every year and admittedly I was at SLU from 96-00 and the improvement made since then are tremendous. That said, the campus did more to damage my view of the school that it helped. I grew up on the SIU campus and the aesthetic beauty of the campus is incredible. When I visited SLU for the first time I couldn't believe what a dump the campus appeared to be.

SLU's campus especially when compared to other urban campus's is seriously behind (mostly due to the area it is in). Compare our campus to Wash U or Depaul, the only other urban universities that I am really familiar with the campus and we look awful.

I am 100% confident I made the decision I made to attend SLU was the correct one but lets not kid ourselves into believing that the campus does any favors in recruiting students. In 10 years, I may be singing a different tune but until the revitalization of the Midtown Neighborhood is complete, I think the campus will do more to hurt that help recruitment.

Why would SIU have an inside track? If anything, most JUCOs are located in awful small towns where the kids are bored to tears and most likely kicking and screaming to get out of town. Unless they fall in love with rural Southern Illinois, could see this probably working against you.

John A Logan is about ten miles from Carbondale. A lot of their students actually live in Carbondale or hang out there. He would have lots of contact with the players on the team and possibly coaching staff (within the rules of course). I think a lot of the JALC kids play pickup ball at our rec center. It is a positive sign if you are a Saluki fan. Of course, a lot could happen in two years. I hope he and his cousins do well and limit their time with Manual Cass, who has had his share of troubles.

i don't know what you're talking about. slu's campus is much nicer than depaul's or siu-c's. i don't really consider wash u an urban campus. its in clayton. urban campuses are marquette, gonzaga, depaul, loyola, xavier, fordham, bc, georgetown, etc. haven't seen bc, gonzaga, or g'town so can't comment on those but slu is much nicer than any of the otherrs.

When comparing it to Depaul I was more talking about the neighborhood. Lincoln Park vs. Midtown.

No way SLU's campus is nicer than SIU.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. I'm sure other D1 schools wanted him to go to Logan where he can hang out with his friends from STL in Carbondale(Booker, Roundtree) all the time and where Lowery will be able to attend a majority of his games.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. I'm sure other D1 schools wanted him to go to Logan where he can hang out with his friends from STL in Carbondale(Booker, Roundtree) all the time and where Lowery will be able to attend a majority of his games.

:rolleyes:

IMO, we really won't have a need for Perry in two years.

IMO, we really won't have a need for Perry in two years.

Very true. Two years is a long time down the road for any program. My original question was basically asking if Lowery "won" the first recruiting battle for those guys since he got them close to Carbondale. Lots of things can change in a couple years.

John A Logan is about ten miles from Carbondale. A lot of their students actually live in Carbondale or hang out there. He would have lots of contact with the players on the team and possibly coaching staff (within the rules of course). I think a lot of the JALC kids play pickup ball at our rec center. It is a positive sign if you are a Saluki fan. Of course, a lot could happen in two years. I hope he and his cousins do well and limit their time with Manual Cass, who has had his share of troubles.

Good points. Appreciate the update.

The SLU campus looks better every year and admittedly

Pliease send us a photo of something scenic about SIUC-I've been there for a couple of SLU games and it reminded me of 1955

The SLU campus looks better every year and admittedly

Pliease send us a photo of something scenic about SIUC-I've been there for a couple of SLU games and it reminded me of 1955

If you haven't been past the arena, which is a dump, then you haven't really seen the campus. There's a lot more to the campus than the arena, our crappy football field, and the power plant. The problem is that from the highway that is all most people see. That's why there is the big push for the Saluki Way Project to build more infrastructure in that area. We will have a new football stadium and the arena will get a facelift. Honestly, the campus is a lot more scenic than pretty much every one I've been on. It doesn't have as many fancy buildings, but it is pretty nature oriented. Southern Illinois is a lot more scenic than the St. Louis area, and there is a lot of public land to play on in the surrounding area. Just depends on if you want to live and work on an urban campus, or one that is in a true college town.

Dorms are on the lake at Thompson Point, although some kids live in the towers you can see in the background.

Posted Image

The campus is built around a 40 acre old growth Oak Hickory forest. Paths intersect it between buildings.

Posted Image

If you haven't been past the arena, which is a dump, then you haven't really seen the campus. There's a lot more to the campus than the arena, our crappy football field, and the power plant. The problem is that from the highway that is all most people see. That's why there is the big push for the Saluki Way Project to build more infrastructure in that area. We will have a new football stadium and the arena will get a facelift. Honestly, the campus is a lot more scenic than pretty much every one I've been on. It doesn't have as many fancy buildings, but it is pretty nature oriented. Southern Illinois is a lot more scenic than the St. Louis area, and there is a lot of public land to play on in the surrounding area. Just depends on if you want to live and work on an urban campus, or one that is in a true college town.

Dorms are on the lake at Thompson Point, although some kids live in the towers you can see in the background.

Posted Image

The campus is built around a 40 acre old growth Oak Hickory forest. Paths intersect it between buildings.

Posted Image

Maybe I can help arbitrate this discussion

SLU has a beautiful campus in a urban environment.

My daughter that is a SLU grad worked in Carbondale for two years and I found that SIUC has a beautiful campus in a rural enviroment. (In fact a couple years ago they had a problem on the campus with deer roaming through the campus and attacking students. I don't think that will happen anytime soon at SLU)

Both very nice campuses in two different settings.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Taking it out of current context, this past year I have been to GeeDub, Rutgers, Penn State, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, James Madison, William & Mary, Elon, Duke, High Point, Coastal Carolina, University of Delaware and Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Arkansas-Little Rock. Out of them all, I wouldn't wish UAPB on even my worst enemy. But all the others had tremendous high points all over the place. Campus appeal might mean more to some; I don't think basketball players really care.

Back to the original topic. JALC may give SIU an advantage that they did not previously have but it definately does not assure Perry signs with them in 2 years.

I'd say that's about right. Perry Seems like a good kid and a good player. Two years is a long time, but we've done pretty well with other dreadheaded kids from Gateway.

Location of the JUCO can help a school but I have seen where MO has placed kids for football and they don't all show up 2 years later. All it means is that they can have a closer eye on them but if the kids are good then they will be pursued by lots of other schools and coaches. Familiarity can breed complacency.