Chris Sloan today

on Frank's noon KFNS show related an incident when the team was practicing at the Savvis prior to the DePaul game. Coach was unhappy with the effort of the team, threw his chair up into the seats, let the team know how he felt. He later picked up his coat and left. The guys thought he had gone to the bathroom or something, til the assistants told them that he had left the building he was so upset.

They talked among themselves, came out on fire against DePaul but were unable to sustain it.

Coach Wooden stated how he always did his coaching at practice not at the games. Hope we can sustain this over to Sat.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of John Duff

i heard a story once about bobby knight similar to this. i think this happened in the mid 80's. the indiana team had lost a game and the next practice knight had locked them out of the lockerroom and their was a note on the door that said that the lockerroom was one that was reserved for past hoosier with guts like scott may, isiah thomas, quin buckner, etc. the next day at the practice knight had a similar blow up as described today by sloan and walked out of practice and said he didnt even want to see them. the following day at practice knight wasnt there and the assistants told the players that he couldnt even bear to look at them they played so bad.

the next day on the bus to purdue, no knight. the next day they are in the lockerroom getting ready for the game and they still hadnt heard or seen him. right before they are ready to go out to shoot layups, the door flys open and in walks knight. he asks, are you ready to play today. they team goes nuts and proceeds to blow purdue out. true or not i dont know. but a great story none the less.

Great retelling of the story Roy. Bill Parcels uses a same tactic everywhere he goes. Only problem is that you can use this mind game only once every few years as it loses its effectiveness after the first shot. The man has had great success but I have never much of a fan of Bobby Knight the human being. One would have to turn a blind eye to all the ugliness.

i love bobby knight the basketball only mind. i hate everything else about him. he should be put out to pasture and kept away from the general public for public safety sake. it is a shame, that a pioneer in the game will sadly be remembered more for punching policemen, throwing chairs, vases, etc , cursing media, choking players, arguing with referees or university presidents, etc. however, he brought it on himself.

Nice Iggy ...

I actually think Coach Knight has a lot of the right ideas ... he just doesn't know how to control himself from stepping over the line. There are a lot of kids that could learn a lot from him if he could just keep himself under control. He ends up negating every thing he teaches by giving the example that if you don't get your way ... blow up like a spoiled little brat

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman