What happened to Tommie?

NH

The "Ian is gone" reason just doesn't hold water. While it is true that Tommie got scoring oppurtunties because Ian was around Ian also took scoring oppurtunities away because he took a lot of shots. With Ian gone there is no reason Tommie shouldn't have become more of a feature of the offense and should at least be taking more shots this year. Instead he is taking less. His rebounding is also way down this year also which makes no sense. Tommie is just way to passive and just seems disinterested a lot of games.

He did a nice job last night of pulling up on his drive to the basket and dropping an eight to ten foot jump shot. He made severqal of these. hadn't noticed him shoot from there earlier in th e season. Anyone else notice this???

He did a nice job last night of pulling up on his drive to the basket and dropping an eight to ten foot jump shot. He made severqal of these. hadn't noticed him shoot from there earlier in th e season. Anyone else notice this???

I really noticed that Tommie was VERY aggressive going to the basket last night. That also created opportunities for the short jumper. Haven't seen that Tommie in quite awhile. He had a quote in the paper about needing to pick up his offensive game. I guess he is a man of his word. Good for him. I just hope he keeps making those kinds of statements!

I really noticed that Tommie was VERY aggressive going to the basket last night. That also created opportunities for the short jumper. Haven't seen that Tommie in quite awhile. He had a quote in the paper about needing to pick up his offensive game. I guess he is a man of his word. Good for him. I just hope he keeps making those kinds of statements!

A couple of things, TL is having more success aggressively driving to the basket now and I think he's giving the outside to Kevin and Paul. And his increased intensity on defense probably has had some effect. I don't imagine RM is having any heartburn with him giving up the 3's and becoming more agressive in going inside. Also, is Kevin on the point next year or is one of the recruits going to be there?

A couple of things, TL is having more success aggressively driving to the basket now and I think he's giving the outside to Kevin and Paul. And his increased intensity on defense probably has had some effect. I don't imagine RM is having any heartburn with him giving up the 3's and becoming more agressive in going inside. Also, is Kevin on the point next year or is one of the recruits going to be there?

probsbly Kwamain Mitchell out of Milwaukee will be the PG.

http://saintlouis.scout.com/a.z?s=437&...amp;nid=1824005

The "Ian is gone" reason just doesn't hold water. While it is true that Tommie got scoring oppurtunties because Ian was around Ian also took scoring oppurtunities away because he took a lot of shots. With Ian gone there is no reason Tommie shouldn't have become more of a feature of the offense and should at least be taking more shots this year. Instead he is taking less. His rebounding is also way down this year also which makes no sense. Tommie is just way to passive and just seems disinterested a lot of games.

There is more than one way to play this game. You don't have to be rah rah to be effective. If he were playing half-heartedly there would have been a correction by Coach Majerus yet Tommie and Kevin are tied for the team lead in minutes played, so Tommie being passive doesn't hold water imo. It's not that Tommie is taking less shots, a better point would be the shots are more equally distributed in this offense. An equal opportunity offense if you will. Last year Tommie and Kevin were 1 and 2 in almost all of the offensive statistical categories. The same holds true this year however the 2006-07 club only had two players outside of the Big 4 of Tommie, Kevin, Ian, & Luke taking more than 70 shots (Danny Brown 150 Dwayne Polk 145). The 2007-08 club already has 4 depending on who you consider to be part of the Big 4 with 4 games remaining.

Bryce Husak 121 or Barry Eberhardt 137

Paul Eckerle 102

Danny Brown 72

Dwayne Polk 71

There is more than one way to play this game. You don't have to be rah rah to be effective. If he were playing half-heartedly there would have been a correction by Coach Majerus yet Tommie and Kevin are tied for the team lead in minutes played, so Tommie being passive doesn't hold water imo. It's not that Tommie is taking less shots, a better point would be the shots are more equally distributed in this offense. An equal opportunity offense if you will. Last year Tommie and Kevin were 1 and 2 in almost all of the offensive statistical categories. The same holds true this year

Of more concern to me with us being shorter in most games, TL rebounding did not resemble the last game with 18 points and 11 boards; we would be a different team this season if he had found out what he sees on the films, earlier. TL can lead us quietly, for the remainder and all of next year if Coach is constantly reminding him like a prizefighter gets scolded, "throw the jab" with TL it must be don't fall into a recognizable and defensible pattern as he doesn't make in game adjustments as well as he comes to a game with a new plan. The kid is great with a new plan. Let's hope RM can

dream up something new for TL for each and every game. Maybe RM will put the 3 back in TL's game plan, too. He seems a highly coachable player, almost like he needs permission to be great.

Of more concern to me with us being shorter in most games, TL rebounding did not resemble the last game with 18 points and 11 boards; we would be a different team this season if he had found out what he sees on the films, earlier. TL can lead us quietly, for the remainder and all of next year if Coach is constantly reminding him like a prizefighter gets scolded, "throw the jab" with TL it must be don't fall into a recognizable and defensible pattern as he doesn't make in game adjustments as well as he comes to a game with a new plan. The kid is great with a new plan. Let's hope RM can

dream up something new for TL for each and every game. Maybe RM will put the 3 back in TL's game plan, too. He seems a highly coachable player, almost like he needs permission to be great.

Tommie did not all of a sudden forget how to rebound. It's still there but rebounding is not only about desire but being in the right place to rebound. In coach Soderberg's game planning Tommie was always the help defender in the post which allowed him better rebounding position. It's not the same this year, it's more about being aggressive on the ball. Tommie is more of a perimeter defender in Majerus' system. This more than anything else has cut down his rebounding numbers.

"the coaches wanted me to be more aggressive. They were looking for me to drive more. I just wanted to come out and take what the defense gives me."

Don't be fooled by the above qoute, Tommie is a bit of a con man. He said something similar after the Pacific game during the early part of the year. Tommie will say and do what the coaches ask of him. That's the frustrating part of his game. Kevin on the other hand will restrain himself to a certain point and then improvise if he feels it would benefit the team.

"almost like he needs permission to be great"

A direct qoute from you. You may not admit it but we see the same thing in relation to Tommie and Coach Majerus. He is trying too hard to please the coach as opposed to playing the game.

That's the frustrating part of his game. Kevin on the other hand will restrain himself to a certain point and then improvise if he feels it would benefit the team.

Excellent point. The perception on this board is that Tommie WAS NOT doing what the coaches asked of him and that's exactly wrong. As you said, Kevin will follow orders to a certain point but if he feels that bending the rules will the help the team, he'll do it and accept the consequences later. I wonder if having a former D-1 athlete as a father has anything to do with that mindset?

Excellent point. The perception on this board is that Tommie WAS NOT doing what the coaches asked of him and that's exactly wrong. As you said, Kevin will follow orders to a certain point but if he feels that bending the rules will the help the team, he'll do it and accept the consequences later. I wonder if having a former D-1 athlete as a father has anything to do with that mindset?

It can't hurt having a former D1 athlete as a father for sure. Tommie on the other hand never had anyone in the family who played at such a high level of athletics. Unlike the other great athletes from East Saint Louis such as Laphonso Ellis; James Harris; Vincent Jackson; Cuonzo Martin; and Chris McKinney, Tommie has never had that other star player pushing him to his competitive limits in practice. While Tommie improved his teammates play during HS it wasn't reciprocated.

In coach Soderberg's game planning Tommie was always the help defender in the post which allowed him better rebounding position. It's not the same this year, it's more about being aggressive on the ball. Tommie is more of a perimeter defender in Majerus' system. This more than anything else has cut down his rebounding numbers.

this is a great point. in the pack man to man, tommie would be in the lane unless his man had the ball. with rickma, we play a denial man to man which means that tommie is guarding wings and thus is likely 20 feet from the basket on defense.

last game was his best rebounding game this season. and sure enough he was guarding the anderson kid that didnt even look to the basket and tommie was playing 10 - 15 feet from anderson a lot of times or helping on dunston. thus, he was in the lane defensively the entire game.

You're right, the lack of an inside scoring game has done nothing to deny TL III (and others) open outside looks. :)