Majerus and Recruiting

kevinfootes

RM is saying that the A10 has hindered his recruiting...along with some other issues. I find this kind of interesting as he's never coached in good league. Hasn't this always been an issue for him? He seemed to make it work at Utah. He's had plenty of opportunity to coach a BCS program if that's what he wants.

RM is saying that the A10 has hindered his recruiting...along with some other issues. I find this kind of interesting as he's never coached in good league. Hasn't this always been an issue for him? He seemed to make it work at Utah. He's had plenty of opportunity to coach a BCS program if that's what he wants.

I think this is part of Majerus's whole schtick. He likes to play/coach for the underdog and complain about the whole thing. He did the same thing all the time at Utah. In fact, he used some of the same quotes at Utah, such as "coaching at UCLA or Kentucky is like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Year's Eve Party."

I think we are all finding that Majerus is a polarizing personality that you either love or hate. I love the guy and find him a fascinating person. I find it refreshing that he says what he thinks, not what the pr people tell him he should publicly think. I love that he has as an intense a passion for his job as anyone in the world, but yet he finds time to appreciate and enjoy so much of the culture, details, and nuances in the world. I could spend hours listening to him ramble about all kinds of topics. Others on this board clearly find him offensive or uninspiring, but I will enjoy and appreciate all of his time at SLU.

I think this is part of Majerus's whole schtick. He likes to play/coach for the underdog and complain about the whole thing. He did the same thing all the time at Utah. In fact, he used some of the same quotes at Utah, such as "coaching at UCLA or Kentucky is like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Year's Eve Party."

I think we are all finding that Majerus is a polarizing personality that you either love or hate. I love the guy and find him a fascinating person. I find it refreshing that he says what he thinks, not what the pr people tell him he should publicly think. I love that he has as an intense a passion for his job as anyone in the world, but yet he finds time to appreciate and enjoy so much of the culture, details, and nuances in the world. I could spend hours listening to him ramble about all kinds of topics. Others on this board clearly find him offensive or uninspiring, but I will enjoy and appreciate all of his time at SLU.

I hope the schtick doesn't wear out too quickly.

Guest BillikenReport

The A-10 hurts SLU in recruiting.

I've talked to most of SLU's recruiting targets, and when Majerus has missed out on kids the A-10 definitely comes into play.

In the future, with the team playing in the new building and hopefully winning a lot of games, I don't think the A-10 will be as big of a deal as it is now. But it's definitely a factor in recruiting right now.

- Nate

The A-10 hurts SLU in recruiting.

I've talked to most of SLU's recruiting targets, and when Majerus has missed out on kids the A-10 definitely comes into play.

In the future, with the team playing in the new building and hopefully winning a lot of games, I don't think the A-10 will be as big of a deal as it is now. But it's definitely a factor in recruiting right now.

- Nate

No doubt the BCS conferences glitz and glamor, read ESPN time, are attractive to a big time recruit, ie Tyler Griffey. However, to slough off losing recruits because of the A-10, or any conference affiliation for that matter, is a little weasley to my way of thinking. X, Gonzaga, Butler, etc all play in non BCS conferences and they do ok. I've never heard Mark Few ***** about his conference and scream we want in the Pac 10. Hell, look at Drake and some of the other MVC schools. Again, find the kids that have the skills, desire, and athleticism to be coached up. Keep them in school for four years and win enough to go dancing every year, ala X, Gonzaga, etc. That will make you more attractive and lessen the competition from BCS schools. He did it at Utah, he can do it here. This constant whining about the A-10 is one aspect of RM's short tenure, I'm sick of hearing. Fr. Bidondi didn't bring you in here to get us in the Big East or the MVC (I see the latter as being a step down by the way). You knew what conference this team was in before you cashed your first paycheck, so get over it and move on with making us better.

No doubt the BCS conferences glitz and glamor, read ESPN time, are attractive to a big time recruit, ie Tyler Griffey. However, to slough off losing recruits because of the A-10, or any conference affiliation for that matter, is a little weasley to my way of thinking. X, Gonzaga, Butler, etc all play in non BCS conferences and they do ok. I've never heard Mark Few ***** about his conference and scream we want in the Pac 10. Hell, look at Drake and some of the other MVC schools. Again, find the kids that have the skills, desire, and athleticism to be coached up. Keep them in school for four years and win enough to go dancing every year, ala X, Gonzaga, etc. That will make you more attractive and lessen the competition from BCS schools. He did it at Utah, he can do it here. This constant whining about the A-10 is one aspect of RM's short tenure, I'm sick of hearing. Fr. Bidondi didn't bring you in here to get us in the Big East or the MVC (I see the latter as being a step down by the way). You knew what conference this team was in before you cashed your first paycheck, so get over it and move on with making us better.

You imply that RM is not working toward making us better. Where is the evidence of this? Just because a man states an opinion on a topic doesn't mean that he isn't doing his best to build a program. Assembling a top notch staff, having a strong early recruiting class, and improved play on the floor is what I have seen. Why is this not proof to you that this man is committed. I'm really sick and tired of the bashing.

Fr. Bidondi didn't bring you in here to get us in the Big East or the MVC (I see the latter as being a step down by the way). You knew what conference this team was in before you cashed your first paycheck, so get over it and move on with making us better.

You sure that Biondi didn't do just that? Bring Majerus in so that he can raise the profile of this program enough that the next time a conference shuffle happens we aren't stuck at the alter hoping that a Marquette and Depaul take us to the Big East party?

No doubt that Xavier and Gonzaga have it going and are able to recruit good players to their schools but anybody that believes they still don't have to fight the Big 10 and Pac 10 and don't lose a lot of kids they would have otherwise had because of those conferences is smoking something.

Majerus has already proven he can be a good recruiter in the A-10 as evidenced by his current recruiting class but the truth is it will be hard for him to be a great recruiter and land the Suggs, Griffey's and Roths of the world as long as we are in a 2nd class conference.

Guest BillikenReport

No doubt the BCS conferences glitz and glamor, read ESPN time, are attractive to a big time recruit, ie Tyler Griffey.

This is attractive to any recruit.

You're not going to find many kids saying they'd rather play in the A-10 than the Big Ten.

This A-10 stuff isn't offered as an excuse from Majerus. This is what is happening. This has happened with several recruits already and will happen in the future as well until Majerus can establish SLU as a regular in the NCAA tournament.

This is attractive to any recruit.

You're not going to find many kids saying they'd rather play in the A-10 than the Big Ten.

This A-10 stuff isn't offered as an excuse from Majerus. This is what is happening. This has happened with several recruits already and will happen in the future as well until Majerus can establish SLU as a regular in the NCAA tournament.

i can understand saying that we lost a recruit to a bcs conference soley on conference affiliation. what i dont accept is any insinuation that we lost a recruit because we were in the a-10 instead of the mvc. not saying you said that nate, but rickma's words are being spun as such by bernie and other casual fans that way.

i can understand saying that we lost a recruit to a bcs conference soley on conference affiliation. what i dont accept is any insinuation that we lost a recruit because we were in the a-10 instead of the mvc. not saying you said that nate, but rickma's words are being spun as such by bernie and other casual fans that way.

I heard Majerus' show and there is no way he said that. Anybody spinning that Majerus said we are losing recruits because we aren't in the Valley is simply lying.

Guest BillikenReport

what i dont accept is any insinuation that we lost a recruit because we were in the a-10 instead of the mvc. not saying you said that nate, but rickma's words are being spun as such by bernie and other casual fans that way.

I would definitely not say that. Majerus would still have the same problems with the MVC, though the MVC is a more attractive conference to kids in Missouri and Illinois because there are more opportunities for family and friends to be able to travel to see them play.

But SLU isn't going to beat out Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, NC State and West Virginia for very many recruits.

- Nate

You imply that RM is not working toward making us better. Where is the evidence of this? Just because a man states an opinion on a topic doesn't mean that he isn't doing his best to build a program. Assembling a top notch staff, having a strong early recruiting class, and improved play on the floor is what I have seen. Why is this not proof to you that this man is committed. I'm really sick and tired of the bashing.

Hey, I support the guy 100% and am thrilled he's here. I didn't hear this show, but we've constantly heard about how bad the A-10 is for us. All I'm saying is get over it. It is what it is and there's no use complaining about it. It ain't gonna' change in the near term. We're not getting in the Big East, Big 12, Big 10. And please don't tell me he wants in the MVC. The A-10 was down but now it's up and likely always will be when compared to the MVC.

You sure that Biondi didn't do just that? Bring Majerus in so that he can raise the profile of this program enough that the next time a conference shuffle happens we aren't stuck at the alter hoping that a Marquette and Depaul take us to the Big East party?

No doubt that Xavier and Gonzaga have it going and are able to recruit good players to their schools but anybody that believes they still don't have to fight the Big 10 and Pac 10 and don't lose a lot of kids they would have otherwise had because of those conferences is smoking something.

Majerus has already proven he can be a good recruiter in the A-10 as evidenced by his current recruiting class but the truth is it will be hard for him to be a great recruiter and land the Suggs, Griffey's and Roths of the world as long as we are in a 2nd class conference.

He had the same problems at Utah. Look, if my post sounded like RM bashing that was not it's intent. I just wish we/he would move on from slamming the A-10. Most on here fell it's the best fit for us right now. Granted, if the Big East implodes, which I hope it does, I'd love to see SLU part of something new. Just not so sure that's going to happen any time soon.

Guest BillikenReport

He had the same problems at Utah. Look, if my post sounded like RM bashing that was not it's intent. I just wish we/he would move on from slamming the A-10.

I think Majerus is just being honest about the situation.

Agreed, Majerus had many of the same issues at Utah. However, he got by on his superior ability to judge talent that other coaches or pundits pass on. In his book, he said that he really never recruited any McDonald's All-Americans, with I guess the exception of Van Horn. Guys like Doleac and Miller were not generally considered top recruits. I think he'll do the same here.

Agreed, Majerus had many of the same issues at Utah. However, he got by on his superior ability to judge talent that other coaches or pundits pass on. In his book, he said that he really never recruited any McDonald's All-Americans, with I guess the exception of Van Horn. Guys like Doleac and Miller were not generally considered top recruits. I think he'll do the same here.

to my memory, I don't think van horn was an mcdonald's all-american. I could be wrong, but I think the only mcdonald's all-american he signed at utah was Britton Johnson.

bad boyz for life

to my memory, I don't think van horn was an mcdonald's all-american. I could be wrong, but I think the only mcdonald's all-american he signed at utah was Britton Johnson.

bad boyz for life

hes only successfully recruited one

Hey, I support the guy 100% and am thrilled he's here. I didn't hear this show, but we've constantly heard about how bad the A-10 is for us. All I'm saying is get over it. It is what it is and there's no use complaining about it. It ain't gonna' change in the near term. We're not getting in the Big East, Big 12, Big 10. And please don't tell me he wants in the MVC. The A-10 was down but now it's up and likely always will be when compared to the MVC.

I'm probably in the minority, and while I am not a fan of the A-10, I would rather be there than the MVC. At least with the A-10 there is a possibility of gaining national respect because of the large marketing base, than is ever possible in the MVC. Now perhaps it will never happen, but I think RM has a chance to take us to a level that we never dreamed possible.