Woolard & Durando on KMOX 700 tonite nm

TheBand

and I don't think Bernie means to be this stupid but sometimes he just doesn't get it. He's now suggesting that if SLU had only started up a football program they would have been invited to the Big East a-la South Florida. Of course he totally ignores the fact that South Florida is in the football hotbed of the world and the Big East just wants to to keep the pressense down there. I seriously doubt the Big East is looking at the St. Louis highschool talent and wondering how it can get a foothold in the area. He just doesn't get it.

Thursday can't come soon enough so we can 1) end all the media speculation about us going to the MVC and 2) stupid posts about Worst Case scenarios won't happen. Why people insist on worrying about things that aren't going to happen is beyond me.

Woolard didnt say too much. He played it all close to the vest and made it a point to say (several times) that SLU was still a CUSA member.

A few points by woolard

-On resentment from CUSA members to people leaving the conference: Its just a business but some may be frustrated since its football driven. Seems like there may be fewer options without football.

-Interested in moving:

Certainly will look at options that lay out the best possible options for all the athletes at SLU. Right now we finally know what CUSA will look like (with the loss of the Big East schools and the addition of CUSA's new five)

-Comment on A10 Reports:

SLU has exchanged info with A10 and other conferences are interested. Needs to find a good match in Academic philosophies and athletics. SLU would also look at revenue for the program (keeping it budget neutral) as well as exposure for the university as a whole.

Valley:

Elgin has called and SLU has talked to them a little. Its certainly a league Woolard respects (he played in it a little).

Arena:

Going well. raved about possibilities that it would bring.

Football:

Would be too expensive.

Stu mentioned nothing. It is amazing how much data we have on this board than Stu does. I had to call in and tell Bernie about the report in the Richmond paper and the report from the GW paper that the announcements would be on thursday.

at this point and I don't blame him for waiting two days.

Simply pu I think everybody that has criticized this man needs to at least acknowledge on Thursday when we get the invite to the A-10 that he did a good job. Given the situation we were in it is basically the best possible outcome. Kudos to Doug. Now build us that arena!

He cant say anything and am not faulting him for that.

I think some of that credit needs to go to Cedric Dempsey. I bet He's the most respected person out there in regards to slu. His name and reputation preceeded him.

To Stu's credit, he did a nice job of breaking the 2 out of 3 story. I didn't see the story get picked up by any other major publications. On KMOX, Stu pointed out that the GW president was likely behind the BU movement, that the A-10 was a better choice than the MVC, and that SLU was probably the A-10's top choice. I thought he did a decent job on the radio; he didn't add any more information because no one in the media is currently privy to any additional information.

It was good to see Bernie devote the majority of a show to college basketball, with a large portion devoted to SLU.

>Stu mentioned nothing. It is amazing how much data we have

>on this board than Stu does. I had to call in and tell

>Bernie about the report in the Richmond paper and the report

>from the GW paper that the announcements would be on

>thursday.

Torch,

Don't underestimate Stu on this stuff. He knows what's going on. There are probably things happening that he can't talk or write about right now.

- Nate

i think it is very possible that dempsey made that deal for us to the a-10. as has been suggested, he is very highly respected and there was zero a-10 expansion talk before dempsey was hired. he easily could have planted the seed and turned the whole deal.

other than the one time that stu emphatically said at that billiken club meeting he wasnt a billiken fan, i have very little to complain about stu. i think he has been the best billiken reporter in a long time. my guess is that volume of billiken stories arent his decision. he writes and tells what he can without blowing up his contacts. let's not forget it was other media folks, not stu, that started the mvc b.s. stu was the one that normally set things straight.

as to us knowing more than our media contacts, does that really surprise anyone? i mean we are the most rabid fans slu has so it only makes sense we dig for info and share it here at our home base. the fact that stu, frank etc have recognized us for what we do here is a compliment imo. in fact, my bet is that they post here under monikers that doesnt tip their id.