Story on RM on the 10:00 News

Does anyone else feel like the Jesuits love this? I personally disagree with Rick's statements, but it is nice to here a dissenting voice every once in a while. I think the Jesuits, deep down, are very happy that this has pissed off Burke and started a discussion of what it means to be Catholic. There are too many sanctions from the Vatican for them to raise any issue questioning doctrine themselves these days, but it must be nice to see one of their high profile employees do it.

A question for channel 4, why do the think a basketball coach's opinion on a political race are important to their viewers? It seems to me that there are a lot more important things to bring to the viewers on this election than Rick's opinion.

The guy with a mustache on Channel 4 called Burke (who was in Washington D.C.). It seems like the reporter was trying to make this huge deal and trap Majerus in what he was saying the entire time. I know that it is his job but the guy was just searching for a story.

I don't trust him. Or his moustache.

Was just watching Two and a Half Men earlier, and in one of those teasers about the upcoming newscast, Vickie Newton said that something RM said in an interview with KMOV regarding his own personal beliefs appears to have angered Archbishop Burke. Sounds like it will be on the 10:00 pm news tonight on KMOV.

Here we go...

Burke can piss up a rope and I'd probably say that to his face if he tried to forcibly impose his "law" on me. I'm sure God's had it up to *there* with his crybaby, tattletale BS. I salute Majerus for being his own person and anyone that publicly airs their heartfelt beliefs as long as they're not coming from a "look at me" standpoint. This type of thing is probably the biggest deterrent from my having actually joined the Catholic faith, this dogmatic end-all-be-all BS. Just more of the same nitpicky crap that makes me wonder if I should or shouldn't capitalize the word 'Catholic' in certain contexts. The only word on this earth that I worry about capitalizing is God.

I just hope this results in some sort of Biondi-Burke showdown. I think we all know who will win that battle.

I'm not sure your familiar with how the Catholic church works if you think the Archbishop will lose a showdown with the University President. I would venture to say that Biondi probably agrees with Burke on these matters.

I didn't see the interview with Burke. Was it a situation where he went out of his way to call out RM, or was he responding to a question from a reporter?. I think there is a difference.

He was responding to the questions of a reporter. Actually I'm surprised he made himself available to comment.

I'm not sure your familiar with how the Catholic church works if you think the Archbishop will lose a showdown with the University President. I would venture to say that Biondi probably agrees with Burke on these matters.

I'll put my money on Biondi every time. Perhaps you recall the sale of SLU Hospital to Tenet?

How did Rigali end up faring in his showdown with Biondi? Rigali had far more pull than Burke has with the Vatican. I would place my bet with Biondi if it came to a showdown.

That said, Biondi and Burke agree on the doctrine involved. Biondi will probably just tell Majerus to keep his mouth shut on this topic. The more I think about it, the more this thing is getting way blown out of proportion.

Unfortunately, there is no Rick Majerus, the private person. Rick Majerus is defined by him being Saint Louis University's basketball coach. All utterances, whether official or not, get interpreted that way. making statement while wearing invisible hats just doesn't work. Best to avoid such things at all costs.

Burke vs. Biondi. My money is on Biondi. Look what happened to Justin Rigali when he took on Biondi. Burke needs to go to the Vatican and leave St. Louis alone. They threw parties when he left Wisconsin. I personally would donote a case or two of AB product for the party here.

How did Rigali end up faring in his showdown with Biondi? Rigali had far more pull than Burke has with the Vatican. I would place my bet with Biondi if it came to a showdown.

I don't know about that. Pope Benedict appointed Burke to the highest court in the Catholic church. I think he might have a little sway. It's a moot point anyway. I'm pretty certain Biondi isn't going to come out and say he agrees with Majerus. If that was the case Burke would certainly win. And I doubt Burke will suggest that Majerus be fired. I'm sure Burke will talk to Biondi and Biondi will talk to Majerus and it will be done with.

I don't know about that. Pope Benedict appointed Burke to the highest court in the Catholic church. I think he might have a little sway. It's a moot point anyway. I'm pretty certain Biondi isn't going to come out and say he agrees with Majerus. If that was the case Burke would certainly win. And I doubt Burke will suggest that Majerus be fired. I'm sure Burke will talk to Biondi and Biondi will talk to Majerus and it will be done with.

Rigali came directly from the Vatican. He was a personal friend of the Pope. This is just some of what he did before he was sent to St Louis on the fast track to become a Cardinal:

From 1985 to 1990, in addition to being President of the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy, he held a number of positions at the Vatican, serving the Secretariat of State, the Council for the Public Affairs of the Church, the Congregation for Bishops and the Pontifical Council for the Laity. On December 21, 1989, he was named Secretary of the Congregation for Bishops and on January 2, 1990 he became the Secretary of the College of Cardinals. He was a member of the Permanent Interdicasterial Commission and served as a consultant to the Pontifical Commission for Latin America and the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. During the same time, he was also engaged in pastoral service to a number of parishes in Rome.

He was and is big time. Burke will never become a Cardinal.

Rigali came directly from the Vatican. He was a personal friend of the Pope. This is just some of what he did before he was sent to St Louis on the fast track to become a Cardinal:

He was and is big time. Burke will never become a Cardinal.

Uh, this isn't a showdown between Burke and Rigali so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. My point was Burke has some sway with the current Pope(the one who is still with us). He hasn't had any trouble with the badass ###### he has done so far.

The guy with a mustache on Channel 4 called Burke (who was in Washington D.C.). It seems like the reporter was trying to make this huge deal and trap Majerus in what he was saying the entire time. I know that it is his job but the guy was just searching for a story.

I'm glad someone else thought the same thing. The whole interview with Majerus was kind of odd. It started with the reporter asking Rick if he was official in his choice of candidate (Clinton), then Rick spoke about his roots as a Democrat going back to Hubert Humphrey and the Kennedys, doing some campaigning for Kerry on '04, then suddenly the reporter throws in "What's your stance on stem cell research?" then "What about abortion?" and "You are Catholic, right?"

Plus, in the interview with Burke, the questions appeared to be rather leading. It almost seemed that the reporter was hoping that Burke would suggest that Rick be fired or that Burke would immediately say that Rick would be denied communion by Burke.

I'm glad someone else thought the same thing. The whole interview with Majerus was kind of odd. It started with the reporter asking Rick if he was official in his choice of candidate (Clinton), then Rick spoke about his roots as a Democrat going back to Hubert Humphrey and the Kennedys, doing some campaigning for Kerry on '04, then suddenly the reporter throws in "What's your stance on stem cell research?" then "What about abortion?" and "You are Catholic, right?"

Plus, in the interview with Burke, the questions appeared to be rather leading. It almost seemed that the reporter was hoping that Burke would suggest that Rick be fired or that Burke would immediately say that Rick would be denied communion by Burke.

Also, I think it is funny that it keeps getting brought up that Rickma said he supported embryonic stem cell research. I recall Rick saying that he supported stem cell research (which the Catholic church supports) and was pro-choice. I do not remeber him stating he supports embryonic stem cell research (which the church does not support). But stltoday.com has that posted on its site's front page. I really wonder if some reporters realize there is a difference.

The irony of the whole situation is that Rick wouldn't have even been approached had the Clinton event GONE OFF ON TIME!!! The Clintons were more than an hour late for the event. Seemed to me like the reporter, Mike OConnel, was just looking for someone to talk to. Had the Clintons been on time, he wouldn't have had the chance to scope out the scene and see Majerus. His questions didn't seem that outlandish, especially since he's a reporter in St Louis that has probably had dealings with the Archdiocese and read about their previous stances on John Kerry, Sheryl Crow, St Stans...etc.

This wouldn't have happened at the John Edwards event earlier in the day, he was on time.

The irony of the whole situation is that Rick wouldn't have even been approached had the Clinton event GONE OFF ON TIME!!! The Clintons were more than an hour late for the event. Seemed to me like the reporter, Mike OConnel, was just looking for someone to talk to. Had the Clintons been on time, he wouldn't have had the chance to scope out the scene and see Majerus. His questions didn't seem that outlandish, especially since he's a reporter in St Louis that has probably had dealings with the Archdiocese and read about their previous stances on John Kerry, Sheryl Crow, St Stans...etc.

This wouldn't have happened at the John Edwards event earlier in the day, he was on time.

Is that a subliminal endorsement? LOL

Was just watching Two and a Half Men earlier, and in one of those teasers about the upcoming newscast, Vickie Newton said that something RM said in an interview with KMOV regarding his own personal beliefs appears to have angered Archbishop Burke. Sounds like it will be on the 10:00 pm news tonight on KMOV.

Here we go...

The esteemed archbishop should worry more about his pedophile priests than SLU's b-ball coach. It seems that he looks for controversy while not cleaning his own mess.