View from afar/for what it's worth

slu72

I don't know why but yesterday the game was broadcast here on Comcast South. So, I finally got to see them play. Observations:

1.) Polk's frustrating to watch. He had at least 4 or 5 wide open good shots that he clanked or passed on. Temple just gave him these shots as obviously their scouting report said give him any shot he wants. We want the ball in his hands.

2.) BH's handles are horrific. Yeah, he's a tree on defense. But he symbolizes our total lack of any type of inside game. I don't remember him being as stiff a player last year. I still have the tape of the St. Joes game last year and he seemed to move better. He just looked like a big tall guy who was told, get in someone's face on D and then stand under the hoop and get us some boards.

3.) Took KL a while but the kid's money. TL in the second half a non factor. That one block on him was a very lazy shot. If he'd pump faked the guy and went around him, he'd have had clear shot at a jam. Instead, it looked like a shot you'd take in warmups. Telegraphed big time.

4.) Nothing new in any of the above, or this statement: we are simply too overmatched talent wise. Obvious even to the most casual of observers.

5.) I'm not really a great x and o guy, but I think the best lineup we could have out there would somehow include DB. KL played a lot of point and seems to be the best option we've got there. Since Polk is almost a total non factor on offense, why not KL, TL, DB, LM, and a take your pick of the bigs. RM's offense seems to be to set up a lot of screens for shooters. Sadly, we don't have many.

6.) Fatigue factor seemed to come into play at the end. KL seemed to be losing his legs, which is totally understandable given he had to guard Xmas and be our total 2nd half offense.

7.) Gillen, analyst, said TL is not a real threat in a half court game. He's best in transition. Of course, you have to get rebounds to have a transition game.

The day ended on a great note however, my NY Giants are headed to AZ for a rematch with the Perfect Pats......Go Giants....Go Bills.

Christmas was their whole team I felt like. He went scoreless the first 7-8 minutes of the game bc KL was working his butt off on him. KL just got tired. If we just had one more defensive stopper to rest KL on him I think we could have pulled it off. I think I would have done some different things coaching wise yesterday as well.

I would have tried DB on christmas for at least a couple minutes. TL and KL were gassed after having to worry about him all game.

I would never play polk if it is not an up and down track meet. Leader or whatever, I do not care, the offense works much better with PE or DB out there.

I would play AK more. I know he is lost sometimes, but he is a big body and he can catch and is less turnover prone than BH.

I really do not have an opinion on BE. I STILL do not know what to make of him.

I think that RM has kind of changed his coaching style a little the past couple games. Is it maybe him swallowing his pride a little bit. He had 5 guards on the floor for major minutes the past couple games and I am just wondering if other people have seen anything else that signals a slight change in philosophy after the GW game?

Nick

Christmas was their whole team I felt like. He went scoreless the first 7-8 minutes of the game bc KL was working his butt off on him. KL just got tired. If we just had one more defensive stopper to rest KL on him I think we could have pulled it off. I think I would have done some different things coaching wise yesterday as well.

I would have tried DB on christmas for at least a couple minutes. TL and KL were gassed after having to worry about him all game.

I would never play polk if it is not an up and down track meet. Leader or whatever, I do not care, the offense works much better with PE or DB out there.

I would play AK more. I know he is lost sometimes, but he is a big body and he can catch and is less turnover prone than BH.

I really do not have an opinion on BE. I STILL do not know what to make of him.

I think that RM has kind of changed his coaching style a little the past couple games. Is it maybe him swallowing his pride a little bit. He had 5 guards on the floor for major minutes the past couple games and I am just wondering if other people have seen anything else that signals a slight change in philosophy after the GW game?

Nick

No way that Danny could guard Christmas, he just does not have the quickness. That said, you have to admire the effort he is giving. It speaks volumes of our talent level when Danny at times was our best option at the 4 spot.

I don't know why but yesterday the game was broadcast here on Comcast South. So, I finally got to see them play. Observations:

1.) Polk's frustrating to watch. He had at least 4 or 5 wide open good shots that he clanked or passed on. Temple just gave him these shots as obviously their scouting report said give him any shot he wants. We want the ball in his hands.

2.) BH's handles are horrific. Yeah, he's a tree on defense. But he symbolizes our total lack of any type of inside game. I don't remember him being as stiff a player last year. I still have the tape of the St. Joes game last year and he seemed to move better. He just looked like a big tall guy who was told, get in someone's face on D and then stand under the hoop and get us some boards.

3.) Took KL a while but the kid's money. TL in the second half a non factor. That one block on him was a very lazy shot. If he'd pump faked the guy and went around him, he'd have had clear shot at a jam. Instead, it looked like a shot you'd take in warmups. Telegraphed big time.

4.) Nothing new in any of the above, or this statement: we are simply too overmatched talent wise. Obvious even to the most casual of observers.

5.) I'm not really a great x and o guy, but I think the best lineup we could have out there would somehow include DB. KL played a lot of point and seems to be the best option we've got there. Since Polk is almost a total non factor on offense, why not KL, TL, DB, LM, and a take your pick of the bigs. RM's offense seems to be to set up a lot of screens for shooters. Sadly, we don't have many.

6.) Fatigue factor seemed to come into play at the end. KL seemed to be losing his legs, which is totally understandable given he had to guard Xmas and be our total 2nd half offense.

7.) Gillen, analyst, said TL is not a real threat in a half court game. He's best in transition. Of course, you have to get rebounds to have a transition game.

The day ended on a great note however, my NY Giants are headed to AZ for a rematch with the Perfect Pats......Go Giants....Go Bills.

Polk is just not a threat. One thing that hasn't changed since last year is SLU's inability to get a last shot. They either bounce it off a foot or throw it away.

Who would win a race between Bryce and the actor who played Jaws in the James Bond movies?

Very good point inthelou. No way you can blame losing to Temple on a "lack of talent".

Except for the fact that we didn't have a point guard to handle the ball at the end of OT who could also keep the defense minimally honest.

Yep, this game can be blamed directly on lack of talent AND questionable coaching decisions.

I agree with Nick, I would have like to see AK on the floor more. Also, and maybe majerus doesn't like it, but why not run a zone with BH in the game? especially if temple has a couple of guys that you really need to key on from outside? Let Bryce control the lane (which also limits him from wandering out of his comfort zone and being burned by quicker offensive guys) and have our guards guard up top.

"Took KL a while but the kid's money. TL in the second half a non factor. That one block on him was a very lazy shot. If he'd pump faked the guy and went around him, he'd have had clear shot at a jam. Instead, it looked like a shot you'd take in warmups. Telegraphed big time".

I'm still trying to figure that shot out myself. I don't know if he was frustrated by the limited spacing for penetration during the game that

he settled for that shot.

"Gillen, analyst, said TL is not a real threat in a half court game. He's best in transition. Of course, you have to get rebounds to have a transition game".

I think that is true vs a team such as Temple that plays a very strong half-court defense. I think 10 of his 12 points came in transition.

We probably should have ran more as Temple didn't look too strong in transition defense. The half time stats had us with a rebounding advantage. His jumpshots were not falling which allows teams to back off and clog the lanes. They had an eraser in the lane probably two.

A very frustrating game to watch from all points. The game had inconsistent officiating on both sides. I don't know what kind of defense Rhode Island played against us, but watching this game, any coach that doesn't play some sort of matchup zone vs SLU needs his head examined. I would consistently forced Kevin and Tommie to hit Polk on the perimeter as a release valve. Polk is virtually self-checked. Although I didn't like the last play of the game, I was hoping for Luke to set some kind of pick and curl out for a jumpshot, this loss clearly lands at the feet of the players. They had far too many empty trips, far too many self-inflicted wounds to beat even a mediocre team such as Temple at home.

"Took KL a while but the kid's money. TL in the second half a non factor. That one block on him was a very lazy shot. If he'd pump faked the guy and went around him, he'd have had clear shot at a jam. Instead, it looked like a shot you'd take in warmups. Telegraphed big time".

I'm still trying to figure that shot out myself. I don't know if he was frustrated by the limited spacing for penetration during the game that

he settled for that shot.

"Gillen, analyst, said TL is not a real threat in a half court game. He's best in transition. Of course, you have to get rebounds to have a transition game".

I think that is true vs a team such as Temple that plays a very strong half-court defense. I think 10 of his 12 points came in transition.

We probably should have ran more as Temple didn't look too strong in transition defense. The half time stats had us with a rebounding advantage. His jumpshots were not falling which allows teams to back off and clog the lanes. They had an eraser in the lane probably two.

A very frustrating game to watch from all points. The game had inconsistent officiating on both sides. I don't know what kind of defense Rhode Island played against us, but watching this game, any coach that doesn't play some sort of matchup zone vs SLU needs his head examined. I would consistently forced Kevin and Tommie to hit Polk on the perimeter as a release valve. Polk is virtually self-checked. Although I didn't like the last play of the game, I was hoping for Luke to set some kind of pick and curl out for a jumpshot, this loss clearly lands at the feet of the players. They had far too many empty trips, far too many self-inflicted wounds to beat even a mediocre team such as Temple at home.

The last play of the game was a screen for Luke on the baseline and the Temple PF number 24 jumped the screen and defended Luke very well. I guess the back up option was for Tommie or KEvin to create their own shot, that didnt work out too well either.

Actually, you did disagree since you said there was "no way you can blame losing to Temple on a 'lack of talent'."

I say there is a a way to blame the loss on a lack of talent.

Yes if you are not going to consider the talent of the other team when accessing lack of talent we do disagree.

The last play of the game was a screen for Luke on the baseline and the Temple PF number 24 jumped the screen and defended Luke very well. I guess the back up option was for Tommie or KEvin to create their own shot, that didnt work out too well either.

Thanks for clearing that up. I felt if Luke had the shot, he would make it.

imo, liddell should have took his man left on the clear out. at minimum he can probably draw a foul. i do not think lisch was figured in the play at all it appeared to me he was surprised by the pass to him.

the less this team plays polk and husak the better imo. husak might have the worst hands we have had on the team in a long long time and it amazes me he still after how many years of being the biggest guy on the floor still has the bad habit of bringing the ball down below his chest. as much as i want polk to succeed, i just dont see how we can continue to have his luxury on the floor. of course he teases us with an end to end run like we saw to end the first half and i am screaming "that's the dwayne polk we need" but we wont see that for the next two to three games now.

i play tommie and kevin at the guard spots and let them at least alternate bringing the ball down to give each a little break. play luke as the sf where he will excel and then rotate knollmeyer, eberhardt, relphorde and husak on the two inside spots. keep luke and danny's "pf" minutes to a minimum.

use polk, eckerle, brown and mitchell evenly to spell lisch, liddell and meyer.

imo, liddell should have took his man left on the clear out. at minimum he can probably draw a foul. i do not think lisch was figured in the play at all it appeared to me he was surprised by the pass to him.

the less this team plays polk and husak the better imo. husak might have the worst hands we have had on the team in a long long time and it amazes me he still after how many years of being the biggest guy on the floor still has the bad habit of bringing the ball down below his chest. as much as i want polk to succeed, i just dont see how we can continue to have his luxury on the floor. of course he teases us with an end to end run like we saw to end the first half and i am screaming "that's the dwayne polk we need" but we wont see that for the next two to three games now.

i play tommie and kevin at the guard spots and let them at least alternate bringing the ball down to give each a little break. play luke as the sf where he will excel and then rotate knollmeyer, eberhardt, relphorde and husak on the two inside spots. keep luke and danny's "pf" minutes to a minimum.

use polk, eckerle, brown and mitchell evenly to spell lisch, liddell and meyer.

No way you use them evenly.

I say PE 60% of the spell minutes, Danny 30 and polk 10.

PE is a solid player on the floor for us

No way you use them evenly.

I say PE 60% of the spell minutes, Danny 30 and polk 10.

PE is a solid player on the floor for us

if lisch didnt have to guard the best player on the other team he could also man the point, but by doing both considering the on the ball defense teams play these days, kevin is totally gassed by end of game. so by letting tommie bring it down as well, you at least give kevin a little break occaisionally and maybe he has some legs left by games end.

you all are seeing a different eckerle than i am. he might know the plays better than everyone else but he has not been a consistent shooter and turns the ball over as well.

this team needs to be a study in how to maximize, lisch, liddell and meyer. nothing else from the rest really matters as one is as good/bad as the other. so the use of ALL of the rest should be about using them to maximize our big three.

you all are seeing a different eckerle than i am. he might know the plays better than everyone else but he has not been a consistent shooter and turns the ball over as well.

I agree Roy. PE had a good game v. URI, but I haven't otherwise been impressed. Sure, he is making Freshman mistakes, but why not give MR and AM the chance to make Freshman mistakes? PE appears to be an average shooter, average ball handler, average decision maker and 110% effort. I can understand why RM likes him.

I agree Roy. PE had a good game v. URI, but I haven't otherwise been impressed. Sure, he is making Freshman mistakes, but why not give MR and AM the chance to make Freshman mistakes? PE appears to be an average shooter, average ball handler, average decision maker and 110% effort. I can understand why RM likes him.

exactly. it is easy to see why he got his chance. smart kid, obviously knows where he is supposed to be, and plays hard. but at some point production has to count. what has disturbed me more than the lack of shooting is the turnovers. i would have thought the turnovers would go hand in hand with the brains and knowing the system, but it hasnt.

it is time to give relphorde and mitchell their chance just like knollmeyer.