My assumptions about those bashing Majerus

SLUDrew

I think that that have judged Majerus after 16 games into his tenure here at SLU, fall into one of two categories:

1) you are very young and hence impatient and/or maybe don't have a real grasp on what it takes to build a program. Maybe you should take a look at Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. Before he got there the Irish were getting recruiting classes ranked in the 30's and 40's. These are the players who led this team to a 3-9 finish this year. Weiss has put together two top-ten classes who are ready to take over at key positions next year.

I bring this up because if the most successful program in the history of college football can accept a couple down seasons while building towards something bigger, shouldn't the fans of our basketball program which really has no tradition, allow more than 16 games before judging the biggest hire in the history of SLU basketball?

2) You are one of those who will always see the Bills as the little team that could. You liked to pinch the program on the cheek and tell every player how great they are and that we all admire how hard they play. You would be happy with Kim Anderson in here who would continue the proud SLU tradition of getting mid-level talent, play some great teams tough at home, maybe even beating ranked team at home every now and again, but certainly not taking SLU to the next level.

Personally, I can't wait to see what the next few years bring.

I think that that have judged Majerus after 16 games into his tenure here at SLU, fall into one of two categories:

1) you are very young and hence impatient and/or maybe don't have a real grasp on what it takes to build a program. Maybe you should take a look at Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame. Before he got there the Irish were getting recruiting classes ranked in the 30's and 40's. These are the players who led this team to a 3-9 finish this year. Weiss has put together two top-ten classes who are ready to take over at key positions next year.

I bring this up because if the most successful program in the history of college football can accept a couple down seasons while building towards something bigger, shouldn't the fans of our basketball program which really has no tradition, allow more than 16 games before judging the biggest hire in the history of SLU basketball?

2) You are one of those who will always see the Bills as the little team that could. You liked to pinch the program on the cheek and tell every player how great they are and that we all admire how hard they play. You would be happy with Kim Anderson in here who would continue the proud SLU tradition of getting mid-level talent, play some great teams tough at home, maybe even beating ranked team at home every now and again, but certainly not taking SLU to the next level.

I'm a big-time Majerus basher and agree that I see myself as #2. I would be ecstatic with Kim Anderson, and I was very, very happy with BS. I think Majerus is a fraud. If you watched his expressions last night, as compared to Gregory, you would have noticed that Gregory was much more aware of the rhythms of the game and his player's response to them. Rick's physiology just won't allow him the right level of energy anymore. This is my belief, not a needless attack on his weight.

Drew, my views about Rickma have nothing to do with age or little engines. I expect Rickma to end up being a success at SLU, but with the change in the business paradigm, I shed the CYC attitude. I fully expect Rick's staff to implement his system AND improve the current team, and I'll rejoice when the former happens.

Along the way, Rickma should expect the same treatment he dishes the players. If they drop a bowel movement on the floor or set a NCAA record for offensive output, or if he disowns the players, get lined up for a bad day at the forum. It is part and parcel of big time programs, which we should expect with the new multimillion buck investment.

Drew, my views about Rickma have nothing to do with age or little engines. I expect Rickma to end up being a success at SLU, but with the change in the business paradigm, I shed the CYC attitude. I fully expect Rick's staff to implement his system AND improve the current team, and I'll rejoice when the former happens.

Along the way, Rickma should expect the same treatment he dishes the players. If they drop a bowel movement on the floor or set a NCAA record for offensive output, or if he disowns the players, get lined up for a bad day at the forum. It is part and parcel of big time programs, which we should expect with the new multimillion buck investment.

Dave, I don't disagree that RM should never be blamed for a failure howver what do you think is of more importance in winning a game, the players or the coach? I think the talent on the floor is the overriding factor in almost all games. If this is the case then don't you think that most of the blame should be on the players, particularly when the present coach had nothing to do with the assembling of that talent?

If Rickma is the highest paid coach in the league, when should he hold ultimate accountability for the gameplan the team executes? In four years, when Dustin finally heads down the road? There should be zero excuses being tossed around by a HOF coach at this point. We are starting conference play, and it is a very inopportune time for the head coach to whine that he didn't buy this team. He owns the team, every day, for the rest of the season. He needs to create a culture of accountability that starts with the staff, and he needs to clearly communicate this culture to the media.

People need to shed the CYC attitude that poor ole Rickma doesn't have the talent to properly implement his system. If we go down this road, we won't see success until next year's class is JUNIORS at SLU, and with two or three of these players run off, it will be four or five years before we succeed. I don't see Rickma staying at SLU for another 14 years or so, like he did at Utah. I think we will be lucky to get him to finish his contract. The time for starting success is NOW. The staff needs to define achievable goals and drive the team forward.

Tony Dungy was always thought of as a defensive Guru at TB. He moves onto Indy and has a great offense wins the Superbowl with a less than stellar D. Though they did rise to the occasion in the playoffs.

Gillespie resurrects UTEP and then goes onto making TX A&M a powerhouse. Acie Law definitely helped. Now he is struggling at UK a team that has way more talent than SLU and way more than Gardner Webb. Did he lose "it"?

Barry Switzer won a Superbowl with the Cowboys. Walked into a chamionship caliber team and just got out of the way.

My point is the coach can only do so much. Players are key. Calipari is a terrible coach but he has the players to win. There are usually rough patches when there is a coaching change unless it is a seemless transition but this is not one, because the offense is different and so is the D. The chemistry maybe bad as well. Or the lack of a PG that is also a threat to score at least 5 PPG and a decent inside presence. We have a serviceable guy on the interior but there is no depth. Is anyone surprised that an old guy who has had alot of success is unwilling to comprimise his system on a team that he didn't think would do that well to begin with? I'm not, I just thought the name would win more games than it has. I guess you don't get spotted any points for making it to the final 4 twice.

With Soderberg I was just hoping he would recruit a guy that everyone missed out on and would turn out to really be something great and would lift up our team. I don't think that way with Majerus I trust his player evaluation and ability to seal the deal and we have already seen that. These recruits haven't played yet but they have more stars after their name than all the years of Brad's recruiting classes combined. We aren't recruitng guys that had some looks from average Big XII teams prior to a season ending injury. We are getting in on guys early that then are garnering attention from big schools.

I want to win every game but that isn't going to happen, yet.

I am surprised that Rickma wants to run his offense with the two trigger guys being (pick two) Dwayne, Barry, and/or Bryce. Bryce has to be the default high post, and that really leaves Dwayne as the low post guy. Rickma's offense CAN'T be implemented with the current team makeup, AND have our established Bryce/Barry rotation. What we currently have is not the Utah Rickma offense.

We end up with Dwayne on top, and Bryce down on the wing, because he can't establish the low post. We don't have anyone setting screens, no one who can flash to the elbow of the key consistently for a pass, and Rickma's desired offense ends up stillborn. The coaches can teach components of his offense this year, but grab some legacy Utah game tapes and watch the pattern. We are not playing that pattern, so it is disingenous to say we are willing to accept some losses that should be wins due to implementing a new offense.

We need to recruit a forward who can flash from the elbow from either the baseline or 3 pt. circle, catch the ball, wheel and slip pass, pass, or pop(can you say Griffey?) We need a second point guard who is physical, can run through screens, and is really strong on the ball in traffic(Cotto?) We need at least one of these slots filled with next year's class to allow for two years of seasoning.

I don't expect us to win out - I don't even expect a winning season. I do expect the staff to develop BE to become a very servicable PF so Luke can be playing 20 mpg at SF by the end of the season, and for either MR or AK can backfill 8-10 mpg as well. I expect AM to progress and to gain 5 mpg by season's end as well. If we are willing to give RM and staff a free pass for the season, and take some shots to the chops, then lets see some real player development and improvement on the game floor.

I have to disagree with your Notre Dame analogy here. If ND were getting recruiting classes in the 30s and 40s, there's no way they should be 3-9 against that schedule. .500, maybe, but 3-9 would be absolutely due to horrible coaching if you believe in the recruiting rankings.

I have to disagree with your Notre Dame analogy here. If ND were getting recruiting classes in the 30s and 40s, there's no way they should be 3-9 against that schedule. .500, maybe, but 3-9 would be absolutely due to horrible coaching if you believe in the recruiting rankings.

Good old ND fan revisionist history. With those classes how did Jabba do in his first 2 years? Thought so. Besides, he ran off a number of Ty's players AND his best player on D this year (the reason they beat UCLA) was a Ty recruit. Maybe the truth is Jabba just cannot coach. Besides, if they were "acceping" such a poor season in South Bend then there wouldn't be the numerous calls for Jabba's head and the questioning of that 10 year deal he got for LOSING a game!

Great coaches take what they have and do their best to work with it to win. They don't ask for a mulligan for the season then go out a bash the players in the media, deflecting all blame from themselves.

Coulda had Gregory....

Drew, is this post a joke? Seriously, is this tongue in cheek? Let me get this straight, you are saying that people complaining that we suck think that we are "a little team that could"? Those with high expectations for this season are actually just viewing our team as an underdog. Do you see how that makes no sense whatsoever?

I'm right in the middle and my posts reflect that. In no way am I happy or even content with the job Majerus has done this season. However, I also think that by next year and most definitely in two we will be an elite team. BUT, that in no way, shape, or form means that I expect what we have seen this season. It's not our record, it's HOW we've lost the games. Most of our losses have not even been competitive. We set an NCAA record for fewest points scored in a game. We were a national laughing stock for 2 days. And you post $hit like this? Hey, I can see and understand your opinion of our coach. I'm pretty close to that myself. But getting on a high horse and writing the post above is not only extremely hypocrital, but downright WEAK.

Let me offer a 3rd option. The hiring of Majerus and the infusion of money to hire assistants and to upgrade the program also comes with some expectations. I was & am a fan of Soderberg, but with him at the top there still problems--recruiting had to improve, development of the whole roster and game day coaching questions. So far under Majerus, it looks like on paper the recruiting has really improved, but not so sure about the other 2. I am having a hard time seeing much in the individual player development being done by Majerus and assistants beyond what Brad & staff was doing. On game day coaching, more than a few of us were frustrated with the job Brad was doing, his no set plays off inbounds, shortened bench, inability for team to handle pressure/press. Again here just not seeing much improvement on the game day side of it. I guess other than recruiting, I just haven't seen much of an improvement over Soderberg to give Majerus rave reviews right now. As far as long term outlook, I am glad some media types believe Majerus is going to be here for the long term, I just am not as confident.

On game day coaching, more than a few of us were frustrated with the job Brad was doing, his no set plays off inbounds, shortened bench, inability for team to handle pressure/press. Again here just not seeing much improvement on the game day side of it. I guess other than recruiting, I just haven't seen much of an improvement over Soderberg to give Majerus rave reviews right now.

The set plays off inbounds are dramatically better than last year. The inability of this team to get open looks and the inability of anyone (including TL III) to create their own shot is what is killing this team. This team actually plays better defense than last years team.

The set plays off inbounds are dramatically better than last year. The inability of this team to get open looks and the inability of anyone (including TL III) to create their own shot is what is killing this team. This team actually plays better defense than last years team.

I was only able to listen to the Dayton game so i can't really comment on it, but we had plenty of open looks during the GW game.

I was only able to listen to the Dayton game so i can't really comment on it, but we had plenty of open looks during the GW game.

In the Gw we got some open looks from outside the 3 line. We only attempted 29 shots inside the 3 line. We got eleven of those shots blocked that is over 1/3 of all of those shots blocked. Many of the other shots were forced as the shot clock was winding down. We didn't get many open looks in side the 3.

billiken law - you are demonstrating your idiocy once again. would you really rather have brian gregory. how long did it take him to get dayton where they are today? and how much heat did he take for the past few years? i don't think gregory was really any better than BS.

Good old ND fan revisionist history. With those classes how did Jabba do in his first 2 years? Thought so. Besides, he ran off a number of Ty's players AND his best player on D this year (the reason they beat UCLA) was a Ty recruit. Maybe the truth is Jabba just cannot coach. Besides, if they were "acceping" such a poor season in South Bend then there wouldn't be the numerous calls for Jabba's head and the questioning of that 10 year deal he got for LOSING a game!

Great coaches take what they have and do their best to work with it to win. They don't ask for a mulligan for the season then go out a bash the players in the media, deflecting all blame from themselves.

Coulda had Gregory....

In the Gw we got some open looks from outside the 3 line. We only attempted 29 shots inside the 3 line. We got eleven of those shots blocked that is over 1/3 of all of those shots blocked. Many of the other shots were forced as the shot clock was winding down. We didn't get many open looks in side the 3.

What type of offense did we run against Dayton. It sounded like it was better than Thursday, but I think it would have been impossible to sound any worse. Did anything change, or did we just start hitting shots?

Coulda had Gregory....

Let's see Rick Majerus or Brian Gregory???? Majerus is a coaching legend. Brian Gregory?!?! What has he done? Has UD even made the Big Dance since he's been there? I wonder if you would have made this post if we had won Saturday? Doubt it.

Let me correct a little something on the above. Polk had plenty of open looks in the game, but refused to shoot the ball. What I was trying to say is that TL III amd KL are no longer getting the kind of looks at the basket that they did last year. LM on a nightly basis is no longer getting the same looks as he did last year. It all comes down to the lack of any kind of inside game.

The only way to combat that is to push the ball. We don't have depth to do that.