Thoughts on why

slufanskip

1. 10 games in 24 days, leaving only 14 days for practice. That is 2 games every 5 days. When you consider 4 travel days that leaves only 10 practice days. Consider that we game plan for each opponent probably a major part of the day before the game, we have had very few days to devote to learning a new system. Most teams have only played 6-8 games. Throw a Holiday in there and a trip to Memphis. That's a lot of travel in a month, with very little time to practice. Last year we didn't play our 10th game until the 35th day.

2. The RPI for all of our road opponents except Houston Baptist and NC A&T which we won is between 63 and 78. We all know road games are tough, I would be surprised if all 4 of these teams don't play in the post season. Their combined record right now is 23-5.

3. Change of both offensive and defensive systems. This is not easily done especially when you add in the fact that our practice days to devote entirely to the changes have been very few.

4. Only 4 of 11 players (not counting DB yet) played more than an average of 10 minutes per game at the D1 level. Danny Brown averaged 20 last year and Bryce averaged 10, and neither of them practiced much before the 1st game. Only 6 players including DB and BH played any real time at the D1 level before this year.

I think are expectations were just too high (mine included) when you take an indepth look at the beginning of the season and what we were up against.

I am preaching patience. Let them get through this early season stretch and get the long layoff completed and see where we stand. We are still 6-4. I know some will say ... but look how bad we've played of late. I will say 2 of those 3 games were on the road against very good teams. We are tired and by looking at our schedule of games, maybe rightfully so. Sometimes when things start going bad, you can't make a shot and falling behind early ... you press and things just snowball.

Skip, RM is in love with the high/low wheel and cut offense, and will not deviate one iota from his script. This requires three bigs, two of whom need to be very good passers. This offense requires three above average outside shooters to keep defenses honest, and with dribbling kept to a minimum, all players must know the angles for the cuts and passing lanes which will be open, and when to push plays. The three players we would want to be receiving passes for plays are BE, TL, and KL. The third "big" we often have trying to make pass plays is Polk/Eberle, and it really ain't working.

Our personnel in the 8 man rotation have two players who have played in a slight version of the wheel and cut offense - Luke and Paul. Small wonder they seem to fit this system so far. Tommie and Kevin are our two creative players who play best with the ball. The WTF comes in with RM's decision to sacrifice postseason possibilities by ignoring the glaring lack of suitable personnel to fully implement the high/low.

If a coach came in and wanted to maximize the current players' talents, a high/drag rotation with cutters would make a lot of sense. This would reduce the deficiencies from Polk/Ekerle's 40 mpg slot and allow Husak/Eberhardt to play the high and drag forward, and allow Tommie and Kevin to do some drive and kicks, their proven ability for the last two years.

Teaching and coaching the high/low as a organizational change from day one is an interesting concept. RM has made playing PE a critical priority to foster continuity with the new system after Tommie and Kevin graduate. If you account for this year's seniors, add next year's graduation, and then throw in two to four more transfers, we will be looking at second semester of 2010 before there will be a significant base level of knowledge with RM's players installed(RM's 4th year at the helm.) I don't see RM going past the five year point at SLU, and neither Moser nor Biancardi is a staunch hi/low coach and advocate. Heck, half the problems we have are because they are trying to learn the system at the same time they are trying to coach/teach it.

RM routinely launches a couple players a year, most every year. He always publicly throws players under the bus after bad games, ignores most of the local media, plays up the national media, and does not listen much to University administration or compliance departments. He also is a brilliant coaching mind when finally settled in a very specific environment. In the past at Utah, he did not have to deal with programs on par with Xavier and St. Josephs, so his tenure here is going to be very interesting.

Skip, RM is in love with the high/low wheel and cut offense, and will not deviate one iota from his script. This requires three bigs, two of whom need to be very good passers. This offense requires three above average outside shooters to keep defenses honest, and with dribbling kept to a minimum, all players must know the angles for the cuts and passing lanes which will be open, and when to push plays. The three players we would want to be receiving passes for plays are BE, TL, and KL. The third "big" we often have trying to make pass plays is Polk/Eberle, and it really ain't working.

Our personnel in the 8 man rotation have two players who have played in a slight version of the wheel and cut offense - Luke and Paul. Small wonder they seem to fit this system so far. Tommie and Kevin are our two creative players who play best with the ball. The WTF comes in with RM's decision to sacrifice postseason possibilities by ignoring the glaring lack of suitable personnel to fully implement the high/low.

If a coach came in and wanted to maximize the current players' talents, a high/drag rotation with cutters would make a lot of sense. This would reduce the deficiencies from Polk/Ekerle's 40 mpg slot and allow Husak/Eberhardt to play the high and drag forward, and allow Tommie and Kevin to do some drive and kicks, their proven ability for the last two years.

Teaching and coaching the high/low as a organizational change from day one is an interesting concept. RM has made playing PE a critical priority to foster continuity with the new system after Tommie and Kevin graduate. If you account for this year's seniors, add next year's graduation, and then throw in two to four more transfers, we will be looking at second semester of 2010 before there will be a significant base level of knowledge with RM's players installed(RM's 4th year at the helm.) I don't see RM going past the five year point at SLU, and neither Moser nor Biancardi is a staunch hi/low coach and advocate. Heck, half the problems we have are because they are trying to learn the system at the same time they are trying to coach/teach it.

RM routinely launches a couple players a year, most every year. He always publicly throws players under the bus after bad games, ignores most of the local media, plays up the national media, and does not listen much to University administration or compliance departments. He also is a brilliant coaching mind when finally settled in a very specific environment. In the past at Utah, he did not have to deal with programs on par with Xavier and St. Josephs, so his tenure here is going to be very interesting.

Sheltie's post is right on the money....and accurately describes the dilemmas of picking up the system....it's not for the short term....and he's obviously made a decision to install what will work down the road....mismatched to the current talent, but, has worked for him and others in the past....it's his ball, let's see what he does with it....got to give it time until the personnel fits

Skip is right on.

Spoon, Romar, and Brad all differed their offensive approach to deal with the talent on the floor. Unfortunately for Brad he never got any talent. But for the most part they were fairly successful.

Majerus won't change his approach. We don't have the players to run his system. Even after they learn it they still won't be able to implement it very well.

I certainly made a reach in my preseason predictions. I did think Majerus would want to play to his strengths and then over time as he got the players he wanted he would then implement his own system. He has so far refused to take that approach.

He does have a short window. Will Thompson, Conklin, and Reed be able to function in the offense right off the bat? I doubt it. It will take a couple seasons or more to get it running smoothly. By then Majerus may want to retire.

1. 10 games in 24 days, leaving only 14 days for practice. That is 2 games every 5 days. When you consider 4 travel days that leaves only 10 practice days. Consider that we game plan for each opponent probably a major part of the day before the game, we have had very few days to devote to learning a new system. Most teams have only played 6-8 games. Throw a Holiday in there and a trip to Memphis. That's a lot of travel in a month, with very little time to practice. Last year we didn't play our 10th game until the 35th day.

2. The RPI for all of our road opponents except Houston Baptist and NC A&T which we won is between 63 and 78. We all know road games are tough, I would be surprised if all 4 of these teams don't play in the post season. Their combined record right now is 23-5.

3. Change of both offensive and defensive systems. This is not easily done especially when you add in the fact that our practice days to devote entirely to the changes have been very few.

4. Only 4 of 11 players (not counting DB yet) played more than an average of 10 minutes per game at the D1 level. Danny Brown averaged 20 last year and Bryce averaged 10, and neither of them practiced much before the 1st game. Only 6 players including DB and BH played any real time at the D1 level before this year.

I think are expectations were just too high (mine included) when you take an indepth look at the beginning of the season and what we were up against.

I am preaching patience. Let them get through this early season stretch and get the long layoff completed and see where we stand. We are still 6-4. I know some will say ... but look how bad we've played of late. I will say 2 of those 3 games were on the road against very good teams. We are tired and by looking at our schedule of games, maybe rightfully so. Sometimes when things start going bad, you can't make a shot and falling behind early ... you press and things just snowball.

skip if only we hadnt looked as good as we did early on and progressively gotten worse since then it would be easier to see your points. however our best basketball was the first four games.

skip if only we hadnt looked as good as we did early on and progressively gotten worse since then it would be easier to see your points. however our best basketball was the first four games.

Early on the system was fresh in the players mind from preseason and more importantly there was no game tape of us running it. Now teams know going in what adjustments to make to adopt. There hasn't been enough practice time for us to work on what adjustments to make when the opposition makes adjustments or to add to what we run. One thing that could have been done would have been to totally scrap game planning for each opponent and just work on our systems and adjustments for situations you might face against any opponent rather than a specific opponent.

He does have a short window. Will Thompson, Conklin, and Reed be able to function in the offense right off the bat? I doubt it. It will take a couple seasons or more to get it running smoothly. By then Majerus may want to retire.

This has been the conventional wisdom regarding Majerus, per the media and most of this board, and I think it's correct. RM isn't in this for a 7 year gig probably. Which is why I'm surprised there isn't A) more bitching about his less than sterling results and B)surprise that he overestimated the talent here, which he MASSIVELY did, since there is no way a calculating guy like RM just takes a job for complete rehaul when there is a sleeping giant 120 miles west, a resting supergiant in Champaign and a currently superior program in Carbondale right now. He is surrounded and it's gonna take a ton of time- if ever- to match these three progs. especially with Booker and Roundtree entering SIU soon..

This has been the conventional wisdom regarding Majerus, per the media and most of this board, and I think it's correct. RM isn't in this for a 7 year gig probably. Which is why I'm surprised there isn't A) more bitching about his less than sterling results and B)surprise that he overestimated the talent here, which he MASSIVELY did, since there is no way a calculating guy like RM just takes a job for complete rehaul when there is a sleeping giant 120 miles west, a resting supergiant in Champaign and a currently superior program in Carbondale right now. He is surrounded and it's gonna take a ton of time- if ever- to match these three progs. especially with Booker and Roundtree entering SIU soon..

What a ridiculous post. I haven't seen the three programs you are talking about exactly knocking them dead this year either. Sounds like there is a lot of sleeping going on with them based on your descriptions.

You must be living under a rock. As soon as he took over, Majerus made it very clear that this roster had a lot of weaknesses and knew it needed to be upgraded. He knew what he was getting into and with the 5 he has signed, he is on his way to improving the situation.

After watching Roundtree, Booker, and John play a few times I would take Femi John over those two any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

After watching Roundtree, Booker, and John play a few times I would take Femi John over those two any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Femi is the most underrated prospect from St. Louis in a long time. It reminds me a lot of Darren Brooks coming out of HS. Femi is going to be a good one.

My 1st point was they are tired having played so many games, both mentally and physically. Another, I didn't mention was last year our opponents 1st priority was stopping Ian, this year it is stopping Kevin and Tommie.

10 games in 24 days. 5 road trips in 30. That's tough.

My 1st point was they are tired having played so many games, both mentally and physically. Another, I didn't mention was last year our opponents 1st priority was stopping Ian, this year it is stopping Kevin and Tommie.

I was glad to see that Rick gave them the day off yesterday.

I am not as astute in the Xs and Os of the game as some of you, but...

it looks like they are beginning to understand the offensive system. Over the last 2 games (1 win, 1 loss -- both admittedly ugly), the Bills have consistently gotten good looks at the basket.

The shots are just not falling.

The coach may be contributing to a lack of confidence by being too frank in the media.

But in general, the system is beginning to take hold. Even Pujols can slump with the bat.

I remain confident that shooters will be shooters and short term success is not too far away.

i am still of the belief that majerus practices are more physically and mentally gruehling than the combined stress of travel and playing games. i.e. right now i think our team looks at the games as their rest days.

I am not as astute in the Xs and Os of the game as some of you, but...

it looks like they are beginning to understand the offensive system. Over the last 2 games (1 win, 1 loss -- both admittedly ugly), the Bills have consistently gotten good looks at the basket.

The shots are just not falling.

The coach may be contributing to a lack of confidence by being too frank in the media.

But in general, the system is beginning to take hold. Even Pujols can slump with the bat.

I remain confident that shooters will be shooters and short term success is not too far away.

besides the mental part, i wouldnt be surprised if the players legs are just tired. besides needing to believe you can score whenever you try, i think nothing else is more important to good shooting than the legs. when the legs go that is when you start hearing the rim clanks.

Skip, you are right on the money with this point. I am not sure why some folks can't see this. If you don't remember, watch a game from the previous two years on tape. You will see how defenses swarmed around Ian when he got the ball. He was a big focal point who was consistently double-teamed. He opened up the floor for everybody. Thanks to Sodie's poor recruiting, Ian also didn't have the benefit of playing alongside another big. I haven't seen the team play yet, but I don't think opposing defenses are too worried when Bryce gets the ball in the low post. It sounds like Barry can occasionally get something done in the low post, but he is more comfortable with the mid range game. Not really a back to the basket player.