Femi John at showcase

Guest BillikenReport

Guest BillikenReport

I tried to add this to my story, but I wasn't able to after I put it on the site.

Femi John was very good yesterday. He only played in two games because he turned his ankle, but he might have been the most impressive player there — and could have been the Most Outstanding Player had he played in his team's third game.

He was aggressive in slashing to the basket and was able to finish inside despite getting hit and hacked by defenders on his way to the hoop. He had one of the highlights of the day when he drove the baseline on the right side and threw down a nasty dunk.

You could tell John was out there not just to win but to dominate. If he takes that approach in his senior year and then during his college career, he could be a special player. He might even be the best player in this recruiting class when all is said and done.

- Nate

I tried to add this to my story, but I wasn't able to after I put it on the site.

Femi John was very good yesterday. He only played in two games because he turned his ankle, but he might have been the most impressive player there — and could have been the Most Outstanding Player had he played in his team's third game.

He was aggressive in slashing to the basket and was able to finish inside despite getting hit and hacked by defenders on his way to the hoop. He had one of the highlights of the day when he drove the baseline on the right side and threw down a nasty dunk.

You could tell John was out there not just to win but to dominate. If he takes that approach in his senior year and then during his college career, he could be a special player. He might even be the best player in this recruiting class when all is said and done.

- Nate

That is great news. Thanks for the update. What was the quality of play at this tournament and was there anybody else on SLU's radar playing?

Guest BillikenReport

What was the quality of play at this tournament and was there anybody else on SLU's radar playing?

The quality of play was better than I thought it would be. For example, Femi John and Willie Reed were on the same team as O'Fallon wing Kenny Leverette, who helped the Panthers get to the Illinois championship game last winter.

There were some kids there that I'm sure SLU has interest in, but they were mostly class of 2009 and 2010 guys.

- Nate

Nate I was there also and I have to agree with you. John was by far the best player at the showcase, slashing to the basket and hitting 3 threes. I was surprised by his quickness, handles, and leaping ability. The dunk he had was vicious. Willie Reed impressed me in some areas and dissapointed in others. When he gets the ball it seems he tries to dunk everytime which is great but on the glass and defensively he is very lethargic and not agressive, also he runs the floor EXTREMELY well and has good hands and cooridation.

Kshoe, the quality of play was great at times and very sloppy and times. Everything was fast pace with a lot of hacking but it was worth going out to see Femi and Willie.

Nate, are we recruiting Jerome Jones or the kid from Milestone in the 09 class? They were very impressive eventhough the game I saw them in the other team played no defense whatsoever.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, are we recruiting Jerome Jones or the kid from Milestone in the 09 class? They were very impressive eventhough the game I saw them in the other team played no defense whatsoever.

I don't think SLU is recruiting Jones at this time. If the Milestone kid you are talking about was Richard Anderson, I don't think SLU is recruiting him much at this time, but he's definitely on their radar.

As far as your Willie Reed evaluation, I'd have to agree with you. He wasn't trying very hard out there and at times you could tell he was just tired out. He's much further along offensively. I liked his ability to attack the basket on those little penetration and dump passes in the post. How much will Tommie Liddell help Willie with those kind of situations? I also liked Willie's court vision and passing ability. I don't think he passed much, but he at least looked like he was looking to pass the ball to cutting teammates. His ability to finish with authority and hit cutters will go a long way in college.

Defensively, he has a chance to be very special. What is his wingspan, like 7-2 or 7-3? With his jumping ability and wingspan, he could be a major shotblocker in college or change a lot of shots.

- Nate

I don't think SLU is recruiting Jones at this time. If the Milestone kid you are talking about was Richard Anderson, I don't think SLU is recruiting him much at this time, but he's definitely on their radar.

As far as your Willie Reed evaluation, I'd have to agree with you. He wasn't trying very hard out there and at times you could tell he was just tired out. He's much further along offensively. I liked his ability to attack the basket on those little penetration and dump passes in the post. How much will Tommie Liddell help Willie with those kind of situations? I also liked Willie's court vision and passing ability. I don't think he passed much, but he at least looked like he was looking to pass the ball to cutting teammates. His ability to finish with authority and hit cutters will go a long way in college.

Defensively, he has a chance to be very special. What is his wingspan, like 7-2 or 7-3? With his jumping ability and wingspan, he could be a major shotblocker in college or change a lot of shots.

- Nate

That will be a moot point come 2007-08.

- Nate

The milestone kid was Marcel Taylor-Smith and besides Willie and Femi, I thought he was the best player there. Basically Jerome Jones w/ the outside shot. Only saw him take two shots from outside, but he made both w/ great form and they were after breaking down his defender w/ some nice handles. Jones and Taylor-Smith are BFFs now I guess. They look like twins and I didn't see them apart the whole time.

Femi had the best dunk of the day, drove baseline, got fouled and stuffed the hell out of it on top of the guy. Very reminiscent of Starks dunk against the bulls in the Finals a bunch of years ago. Femi was the quickest guy out there and probably had the best handles too. The only other guard that looked like a college guard already was Ron Waller.

Willie had two plays that were amazing. One he got out on a breakaway, looked real comfortable dribbling (at every bit of 6'11") and jumped from about 8 feet out to throw down an EFFORTLESS reverse two-hand jam. I immediately thought of Kevin Garnett - this kid is NOT awkward in the least, just skinny and a little weak on the boards. Then in the second game, towards the end when he must have been gassed, he caught a pass just above the free throw line. Took one step jumped, cocked it back behind his head and SHOVED it through the rim, ala the Tom Chambers "knee in the face" dunk. They called a travel, but I kid you not, it looked like me or you playing on an 8 foot rim. These two guys are going to be PLAYERS for SLU.

Guest BillikenReport

The milestone kid was Marcel Taylor-Smith and besides Willie and Femi, I thought he was the best player there. Basically Jerome Jones w/ the outside shot. Only saw him take two shots from outside, but he made both w/ great form and they were after breaking down his defender w/ some nice handles. Jones and Taylor-Smith are BFFs now I guess. They look like twins and I didn't see them apart the whole time.

Marcel Taylor-Smith was at Career Academy for two years, but couldn't stay eligible. He transferred to Vashon last year, but didn't play (not sure if it was grades or not eligible from transferring). Now he's at Milestone. He should be a senior, but maybe he's not for academic reasons.

He's always had good size, but he hasn't done what he's needed to do to see the court. He could have been a dominant player at Career Academy.

- Nate

I'm real excited to hear these things about Willie. We have not had a guy who liked to dunk the ball as long as I've been following the Bills. We're had some decent dunkers, but they were few and far between. It's also great to hear that about Femi. He's kinda gotten lost in this monster recruiting class. At this point, it looks like we have 5 guys who are going to be major contributors. Awesome.

Question, was Majerus or any other guys on the team there?

Guest BillikenReport

I'm real excited to hear these things about Willie. We have not had a guy who liked to dunk the ball as long as I've been following the Bills. We're had some decent dunkers, but they were few and far between. It's also great to hear that about Femi. He's kinda gotten lost in this monster recruiting class. At this point, it looks like we have 5 guys who are going to be major contributors. Awesome.

Question, was Majerus or any other guys on the team there?

D-1 coaches weren't allowed to be there. There were D-2, D-3 and JUCO coaches in the house, though.

I didn't see any SLU players, but I could be wrong. There was so much going on at once it was tough to keep track of.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

The only other guard that looked like a college guard already was Ron Waller.

I think you'll be watching Ron Waller in the NCAA tournament in a couple years playing with W. Kentucky.

I like his game a lot. If he ever fixes his jumper, he'll be a very good college player.

- Nate

I think you'll be watching Ron Waller in the NCAA tournament in a couple years playing with W. Kentucky.

I like his game a lot. If he ever fixes his jumper, he'll be a very good college player.

- Nate

Yeah, he had a real good build already. It was amazing how easily you could pick out the top-tier players there, then check up on them and see that sure enough, they were legit D1 guys. Real good point guard-type feel for the game and good ups, was throwing down tomahawks during warm-ups.

If Willie gains 15-20 lbs before his first game as a Billiken, he is a force. You can sense that the only thing lacking from his game is power. He's got nice post moves, good awareness, etc., just needs some more meat on him to keep from getting shoved around. If he gets the ball w/in 5 feet of the basket, alley-oop, rebound, etc... he WILL dunk it, and you will applaud.

- Nate

That will be a moot point come 2007-08.

What are you saying? Did you mean 2008-09? That's the only year Willie Reed and Tommie Liddell could play together, assuming Liddell doesn't go pro after this season. Is that what you're insinuating?

What are you saying? Did you mean 2008-09? That's the only year Willie Reed and Tommie Liddell could play together, assuming Liddell doesn't go pro after this season. Is that what you're insinuating?

Apparently.

Liddell would have to have a year like Larry had to be able to come out after this year. He is a 4 year player.

Apparently.

Liddell would have to have a year like Larry had to be able to come out after this year. He is a 4 year player.

Yeah, where's Tommie Sr. at... he's staying 4 years, isn't he!?!?

"Listen here, while you're under my roof, you'll graduate from college."

"But I'm not under your-"

"Shut up! Go to class!"

Apparently.

Tommie is at least at the level Gabe Pruitt was last year. Pruitt wasnt really a pg, and might not have started had USC's starting pg not been killed last summer. Pruitt went early in the 2nd round.

Tommie is at least at the level Gabe Pruitt was last year. Pruitt wasnt really a pg, and might not have started had USC's starting pg not been killed last summer. Pruitt went early in the 2nd round.

It would be ridiculous for Tommie to leave early to go in the second round. Unless he has an enormous season like averaging 20 ppg and leading the team deep into the tourney along with gaining about 20 lbs he has no chance of being drafted.

It would be ridiculous for Tommie to leave early to go in the second round. Unless he has an enormous season like averaging 20 ppg and leading the team deep into the tourney along with gaining about 20 lbs he has no chance of being drafted.

I think to say he has no chance at his current level of play is a bit much. Tommie showed last season that when he has the desire to, he can put up 20+ no problem. What was it, 6 games in a row last year when Kevin was playing hurt? Especially given his excellent rebounding, if Tommie works on his PG game a bit, he can be a first rounder, after his SENIOR year. Most of all, I'd hate to see him leave early and lose money and prestige in the NBA by going late in the second round, but I'd also obviously hate to lose him for what should be a very special 2008-2009 season.

I can see why he would try to leave though, if he had a special junior year. With the classes we have coming in, he would no longer HAVE to be the man (along w/ Kevin) and his abilities would be overshadowed a bit. Unless, of course, we go to the Sweet 16. :)

Mardy Collins didnt do any of those things and he went 1st round. Its a real stretch to say he has no chance of getting drafted. He's arguably better than some of the guys who were drafted this past summer like Sammy Mejia, Chris Richard, Demetris Nichols etc.

Mardy Collins didnt do any of those things and he went 1st round. Its a real stretch to say he has no chance of getting drafted. He's arguably better than some of the guys who were drafted this past summer like Sammy Mejia, Chris Richard, Demetris Nichols etc.

Boy, you just love making apples to oranges comparisons don't you vtime?