New scout story, Roth visits again

VTIME

Scout lists him as a 6'2" guard. Is he a pg? If you think he would start right away, you think he'd start over Marcus R even after MR has a year under his belt?

Thanks

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

He's not a pg, but either Lisch or Liddell will have a year of experience playing pg full-time during the 2007-2008 season. He's a shooter. Lisch is 6'2, so 6'2 isnt small. I've seen others list Roth at 6'3, either way 6'2 isnt small. Reggie Bryant was 6'2 and Justin Love was 6'3. He hit 143 threes last year, 3 short of the state record, that's all that matters.

We will have as probable starters. BT, BE, KL, and TL. So what you are saying is Roth would be the best of MR,DM, and AM. If that is correct, I will be either very, very excited about Roth or dissapointed with MR, especially since there is a chance MR will start this year, meaning Roth would step in and replace a 6'7" guard who started at least part of or at worst case was a major player the previous year.

He's a marksman, and its a Rick Majerus offense, very good chances this kid starts. Relphorde could start over BE as a sophomore with Roth at one of the guard spots. Roth is very good. He could start at a lot of high majors that are sorely lacking outside shooting.

Which means I'm very dissapointed in BE. How many times have you seen him play.

More logical would be that he starts after Tommie and Kevin graduate if we haven't recruited better. I've seen nothing that gives me the impression that MR is a 4, especially with BE on the roster. Either way you believe he can unseat either BE or MR. As BT, TL, and KL are probably for sure starters.

I guess guys are bored, but it is really amazing that people would try to figure out starting lineups and minutes for players they have never even seen play, not even once in a pick-up game, let alone weeks and weeks of drills and practices. Not only has nobody making these comments evidently seen Roth (or Relphorde or Eberhart, I guess, for that matter), but he has not committed anyway. Nevertheless, you can pretend to have an educated guess about who starts!?

If anyone can explain that pathology I am all ears. Though an amateur at best, I still like to think of myself as a student of human psychology.

best wishes. . . . heading back to my cave. . . .

I know when you say MR you are talking about Marcus Relaphord but at the same time that could also be Matt Roth.

You are right that V-time is certainly jumping the gun calling Roth a starter his freshman year. With Lisch and Liddell around there is only one more guard spot availabe and plenty of candidates. Lets hope Roth one day is one of those candidates but to project him as a starter from day-one seems crazy given the veterans coming back, the incoming players this year and the rest of the prospects in the 08 class that hopefully we'll land one or two of.

>

>I guess guys are bored, but it is really amazing that people

>would try to figure out starting lineups and minutes for

>players they have never even seen play, not even once in a

>pick-up game, let alone weeks and weeks of drills and

>practices. Not only has nobody making these comments

>evidently seen Roth (or Relphorde or Eberhart, I guess, for

>that matter), but he has not committed anyway.

>Nevertheless, you can pretend to have an educated guess

>about who starts!?

>

>If anyone can explain that pathology I am all ears. Though

>an amateur at best, I still like to think of myself as a

>student of human psychology.

>

>best wishes. . . . heading back to my cave. . . .

Actually I've seen Roth play as recently as a couple of weeks ago in an AAU tournament over Memorial Day Weekend. It was the Bob Gibbons TOC. The link is on the internet, but I think you have to have premium access. Speak for yourself as far as never seeing guys play. Without a doubt, I think Roth would start over Relphorde. The only way I see Roth not starting is if Majerus lands a MUCH higher rated guard like Scott Suggs. You guys are acting like outside shooting has been a strength the past few years.

would take the pressure off of suspect 4 and 5 spots-or at least

not allow the collapse we saw against IV the last two years; and

if we had recruits who pushed TL and KL for playing time what is

wrong with that?

Roth is getting recruited by mid MVC schools and is a great shooter. Cant put it on the ground that is why the high majors arent looking. Plays on the best AAU team in the country and gets limited time. Would be a very good role player for the Billikens

The kid is getting recruited by middle of the pack MVC schools like Bradley AND ISU. He is a great shooter but cant put the ball on the ground. I think he can be a solid player for SLU. He plays on the best AAU summer team and plays limited time but he can really shoot the ball

in your "proof" that he wasn't a big-time player you said "why isn't he being recruited by Illinois and Purdue, yet you already believe that Purdue doesn't have any scholarships to give. Seems like a circular argument to me.

Tiger, he's from Illinois, but plays on the best AAU team in the country, a team from Indiana, they must be keeping him around for some reason. He would be a role player at a high-major, he's more than a role player if he inks with the Billikens. You ask why arent Illinois and Purdue all over him, why would they be all over a guy who would be a high major role player. SLU is not a high-major, he would be more than a role player at SLU. He hit 143 threes last season, just 3 shy of the state record. He's one of the top shooters to ever come out of Illinois. He plays on the best AAU team in the country because he wants to win, if he wanted to play on a lesser AAU team and get more shots and more acclaim he could. Majerus obviously wants him, and he obviously wants him to come. Do you trust Majerus' judgement?

VTime, Roth is nowhere near the top twenty all time shooters to come out of Illinois. Richard Keene, Andy Kaufman, Jay Shidler are all better shooters than Matt from five feet beyond the arc. Matt still has some work on his foot positioning and body mechanics to become a top flight DI catch and shoot three point jump shooter.

Matt also will learn the true meaning of Roy Orbison's "Blue Bayou" if he becomes a freshman starter. You need to lay off the crack pipe for a few weeks there.

What Matt will bring is an ardent three point threat in the pipeline, a very good zone buster, and another KL mindset player. Don't pound the drums too much, because he couldn't lead Washington past the sectional in one of the weaker quad of tournaments in recent downstate history. He is NOT the saviour that some people may read into your lurid posts.

V never said he was a savior - what he suggests is that he would be an excellent addition - and he would be. You cannot have too many great shooters. Give me a good who can shoot any day over the great athlete who makes the spectacular dunk but can't hit the broad side of a barn

this kid sounds like another 6'2" shooter that people thought wasn't good enough to play at SLU, yet went on to have a nice career in the valley. Unfortunately, so did the head coach, which is one of the reasons why he is the former head coach.

4-17, blake couldn't lead DeSmet out of bad district, yet he was a four-year starter at MSU and leading scorer for all four years.

go figure

bad boyz for life

>

> this kid sounds like another 6'2" shooter that people

>thought wasn't good enough to play at SLU, yet went on to

>have a nice career in the valley. Unfortunately, so did the

>head coach, which is one of the reasons why he is the former

>head coach.

> 4-17, blake couldn't lead DeSmet out of bad district, yet

>he was a four-year starter at MSU and leading scorer for all

>four years.

> go figure

>

>bad boyz for life

?

Ahearn played in the MO State Championship game for large schools as a Junior.