Who is our Fab 5 for 08?

ACE

You got Jesse Perry at number 4 of your top 5. Please defend that. I am not disagreeing. I am just wanting you to sell me on him. I seem to remember you have been high on Perry for a while. I heard he dominates when playing smaller competition but may be outmatched when he plays guys his size and matched athleticism. Is that true? Also, we not all metro was he?

Also, what is your take on Richard Anderson, the sophomore out of Beaumont.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was not on an All-Metro team and probably never will be. He has been a pg his whole life until he hit a growth spurt a couple of years ago that has allowed him to go from around 6'1 or 6'2 to 6'8. He handles the ball like a guard, he initiates the offense. Most of his points are driving, not posting up smaller players. He has serious court vision. He's very long and athletic. He's really not looking to score. Every once in a while he just calls his own numbers and is able to walk in for a layup or dunk because he's made so many good passes over the course of the game. He's gonna make Kenny Harris look very good next year. Casual fans will probably say Kenny Harris is the better player next year, and he just might be in time, he has that kind of potential, but real fans will know who's making the game easy for Harris and Belger and the Vashon transfer Hobbs. Perry does not play center on the team. 6'4 250 Sheldon Richardson, a D1 TE/DE prospect does. If the 7'0 kid Robinson comes along, you might see Gateway go big with Robinson and Richardson and let Perry play some SF, and even some PG. Perry is essentially the pg in the halfcourt set anyway, but in that situation he might get to walk it up and do more things. The team is so deep that last year's starting pg Kaleb Turner probably wont start next year because of Hobbs, Belger, and Harris.

>We should avoid former Vashon players. Since AB, nearly

>every "star" at Vashon has been a bust on the court and/or a

>struggle in the classroom.

Are you including guys that didnt qualify as busts or guys that ended up at D1 and had grade problems. Lorenzo Gordon was an All-American at Mineral Area and was the 2004-2005 MVC Newcomer of the Year in addition to being 1st team All-MVC under our current assistant coach Porter Moser. Moser also signed Bobby Hill, who was an honor student at Vashon and started the last 8 games for Moser, so he is no stranger to Vashon players.

that the fall signing period will likely be over before our new coach had coached his first game (possibly an exhibition or 2)? That means that any players we get will likely be coming on RM's reputation and what he promises in regard to the type of play he will implement. These recruits will not have the chance to see him in action on SLU's sidelines before making a decision.

you seriously would have rather had brooks than travis deiner?

i am as big of a marquette hater as there is, but i just cant fathom that.

vtime, i have seen kenny leverette probably 10-12 times in the last year, and he is not a point. he survived there only because he is a superior athlete and very strong compared to other HIGH SCHOOL basketball players.

the best point guard on that o'fallon team was the mallot kid.

now i am not saying leverette isnt a worthy d-1 prospect. he is a very nice player that knows how to win. but i think he is down the list somewhat. from the games i watched, he definitely isnt as good as john or roundtree.

hahaha! Another example why courtside calls footsie a troll. A link was provided showing that kevin didn't even think the SLU head coaching job could land a top assistant coach. Then after he was proven wrong, he creates a lie to try to save face. Kevin's been given an opportunity to provide a link where I supposedly said Majerus could be hired for "Soderberg money." He's STILL been unable to do it, because it doesn't exist. Come on kev, you can find it!

and it is deiner's fault he played with novak and wade and brooks didnt?

all i know is that the games that marquette played against us and josh fisher shut down wade, deiner stepped up and took over the games.

we'll have to agree to disagree, but i would bet that crean wouldnt in hindsight make that trade but i bet weber would at least consider the deiner for brooks trade.

Hahah! My statement was true. You said we weren't going to get MAJERUS or even a top assistant. Step into reality.

I see you still can't find a post where I said SLU could hire Majerus for "Brad money." Just admit you lied.

http://www.billikens.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...D3&viewmode=all

What makes this funny is that ace is now acting like he thought SLU would get RM all along. He writes in this post that SLU can't expect anybody big.

ace, by saying SLU shouldn't expect anybody big you are acknowledging that you didn't think they would up the salary. In effect, you're saying that SLU would still be paying Brad money.

ace the troll ignores the fact that I clearly stated several times that SLU wouldn't get a big name coach without significant upgrades to the program. Guess what, he proves me right! RM would have never come to SLU to pay his own cell phone bill.

what a flip flopper ace is.

what a complete joke!

Yet another post kev still can't find a link where I said SLU would get Majerus for "Brad money."

I like the link you posted. The timeline I laid out showed that Brad was failing on the first 3 points at the time he was fired. Biondi pulled the trigger before we could find out about the 4th point and made a great hire. Most SLU fans, even the old Soderberg loyalists are thrilled. You, on the other hand, were comparing Majerus to Huggins earlier. Cheer up. I'm sure another Mizzou fan will come along soon and you can take shots at SLU fans to him.

How did #3 happen already? It's not fall yet.

Wow, ace tells roy in a post that the facilities, low pay, cell phones, etc. have nothing to do with SLU (and Brad's) ability to recruit and win games. ace then tells everyone that SLU can't expect a big name coach. Then ace says that SLU could get a big name coach without mentioning the need to improves pay, facilities, etc. Hence, you're saying that pay has nothing to do with it.

Geez, you're all over the place.

Roy and I agree, but it won't last long. I enjoyed Brooks as a player, but Diener did more things well, against better competition.

Diener shot the ball better from 3 and took many more of them, he also dished out many more assists, never shot below 80% from FT line in four years, and had ball in his hands late in games for 4 years. Took many more FT's too. His Senior year numbers alone are pretty impressive when you consider he missed about half of that season due to serious ankle injury and had to shut it down. Diener is one of the toughest players I've seen watching ball in recent years, big time leader. He's a money player. Marquette wouldn't have made the Final Four without him. I like Brooks, but he isn't as good as Diener in many areas of the game. Diener was pretty much a 20 and 7 player his last two years and almost shot 90% from the line. and had he not gotten injured, his Senior year would have been much bigger than that.

The one area Diener wasn't great at was defense.

There were a lot of areas where Diener wasnt great. Not just defense. How hard was it for Diener to play off of the talent he had. Brooks had the ball in his hands late in the game too. He was the POY and DPOY of the conference, TWICE!! He lead them on long tourney runs too. He was a beast. If he played on Marquette, he would've easily matched Diener's success. Darren didnt shoot a lot of threes like Diener but his midrange game was very good. You really think Diener had a better senior year than Brooks?

>There were a lot of areas where Diener wasnt great. Not just

>defense. How hard was it for Diener to play off of the

>talent he had. Brooks had the ball in his hands late in the

>game too. He was the POY and DPOY of the conference,

>TWICE!! He lead them on long tourney runs too. He was a

>beast. If he played on Marquette, he would've easily

>matched Diener's success. Darren didnt shoot a lot of

>threes like Diener but his midrange game was very good. You

>really think Diener had a better senior year than Brooks?

Diener didn't have a talent laiden team his Senior year. Diener played much better competition, and did better than Brooks did against the tougher teams played. Long tourney runs for Brooks? Not NCAA,. Diener was all conference, All-American and a top 30 player Nationally John Wooden Award Finalist. And Diener was drafted in the NBA 2nd round, and is currently in the NBA. Brooks went undrafted, then after not making an NBA roster, spent two years struggling in NBDL ball, and is now playing in Australia.

Like I said before, I like Brooks, he was a very good defender, good athlete, good character, good player....but he doesn't handle better than Diener, doesn't shot better from 2 or 3 or FT line,(their shooting comparison isn't close) doesn't get to the FT nearly as often as Diener, Brooks was a good leader, but I'd give the edge to Diener there too. Diener much better passer and did a better job of creating for others and seeing the floor than Brooks, and made better decisions. Just because I, and many others would say Diener was and is a better player, doesn't mean Brooks isn't a good player in his own right.

It is more of a reflection of Diener's abilities and accomplishments, than Brooks lack of ability as a player in a variety of areas that forms my opinion.