Right direction?

jp18

Does anyone on this board feel the program is heading in the right direction now?

For me, I feel the higher ups have no clue on what it takes to get this program to the next level. I just have no confidence right now in what will transpire in the coming days. None whatsoever.

Nextyear could be worse, depending upon what TL and KL decide about the new coach. But in the long run if the right hire is made, this could be very beneficial. If you think about it, the arena drove this decision. It needs to generate revenue, not only from attendance but from post season play and possible tv deals. A good coach could deliver all that. What was UB delivering is the better question.

>I think 16 is about right. This team is not as good as last

>year as it stands right now, but it is not horrible.

Brian,

Without a coaching change, the team was probably not going to be as good next year as it was this year.

Tommie and Kevin will be better, but losing the big man will hurt.

- Nate

I didn't mean to imply that it would be. All I was saying as this team has added no immediate impact players and it lost IV. As it stands right now they are not as good.

I don't have a problem with the coaching change, but I do have a problem with the timing.

>I don't have a problem with the coaching change, but I do

>have a problem with the timing.

The timing is terrible.

Not only will it be more difficult to identify and attract a top candidate, but it will be harder for the SLU assistants to find new jobs at other schools. I feel bad for Brad, but I can't feel too bad because he'll get a couple hundred thousand dollars out of it. His assistants, who weren't making much to begin with, aren't so lucky.

The timing would indicate that someone was already in place to get the job, but right now that doesn't seem like the case.

Everyone has to just wait and see what happens.

- Nate

I don't think either will leave - I'm still worried though. If both left, we would be DOGSH!T. Chaefitz would look like a real goon w/ $20 million in his new arena and a 6 win team out there.

Here's hoping everything works out...

Timing is awful and no, this is not the right direction. If Miklasz is correct and Biondi stepped on Levick, the program will have great difficulty hiring a very good replacement.

And while that is a concern for the basketball program, the bigger question is will Levick stay? She has has made some wonderful hires, made some tough program choices, defended the A-10 decision even though it was Woolard's, and worked tirelessly to raise funds for the arena.

If she leaves, all sports will suffer, and I don't see any reason for her to stay.

From Bernie's column:

"After another disgraceful chapter in its basketball history, SLU will begin another coaching search. And after shameful episode, how can Levick stay in this job? How can Levick possibly hire the next coach? By taking away Levick's power as the direct supervisor of the men's basketball program, Biondi destroyed any credibility Levick can bring to the hiring process. Potential candidates will laugh at the notion that Levick has any authority, or that she can protect them from her meddling boss. She's done."

Brad certainly had his faults, but his critics will look back in a couple of years on "the good old days."

:( :(

Yes, the good old days of .500 basketball and landing ZERO recruits. Brad was not a good coach....why are you forgetting this?

What coach wouldn't come here? They would be getting a new facility, have two stud guards for TWO MORE years, play in the A-10, and play in a large city that produces recruits every year miles down the road. You are crazy to even think a coach wouldn't come here.

I cannot see us being very happy about whoever they wind up hiring.

If they have nobody lined up for, say, a Friday announcement then they are incompetent fools. Chance for the JUCCO recruits we were after are less than 5% for any of them...

RE: coach, same issues (A-10, no PE, no NCAA tradition, etc.) PLUS now there is the issue of the pathetic way this was handled and that our AD does not have control or is even lame duck. What coach wants to jump in the middle of Biondi's mess?

Other than the new facility, we are missing on 7 of 8 cylinders.

I hope I am wrong and they have someone strong waiting in the wings, but I do not think so. Looks like a collasol, massive, immense blunder.

Soderberg not great but was doing fine with the cards he was dealt... AB is a good company, but I do not expect it to be Exxon.

Over / under is 16 wins if KL & TL stay. WANNA BET "OVER", BIG GUY?

I wouldn't say 0%, maybe we had a chance this time, Eberhardt or somebody could have put us in a postion for NCAA if KL and TL stayed healthy... but we'll never know.

Sometimes, no move is the best move, and always better than a clumsy, hamb fisted, inept one.

No this is not the right direction.

This firing could not have been handled any worse.

I would have given Brad one more year to either

- reach post-season, or

- bring in a great 08-09 recruiting class.

From all accounts, Brad is a decent guy. He deserved much better treatment.