Short-Sighted Move

aj_arete

There is no way that this mess could have been part of any plan. It was a panic move at the last minute that could not have been handled more poorly if you set out to do it the worst way possible. This may well be a complete waste of the next two years and I am tired of starting over time and again.

Cuonzo Martin can right the ship, recruit, and he is a very good game coach. He is also hungry for the kind of opportunity that Saint Louis can offer.

Brad got hung out to dry, as all the lead asst. and head coaching slots are gone under the bridge at this time. My, what a marketing and pr department we have at the university. Merde!

Do you really think the tourney was a possibility under UB. The way the spring signing period was going, losing Correia, Peterson, and Alexander so far, where was this knight in shining armor for next season? TL and KL are in a bad spot today, but it really hasn't changed all that much from if UB had stayed.

What guy worth anything with head experience will want to come to SLU, esp. after unceremoniously dumping Brad too late for him to get another gig and so late in the recruitig process?

The best you will get is some untested assistant or D2 guy who may or may not make it. You can expect another 10 win season in two years, and how will excite anyone at a time when the bill come due on the new house? This smacks of administrative incompetence at it's worst. It's clear that someone with money forced this to happen or they would pull their support for the new arena. Great way to run a program.

Shame on SLU for the way they handled this. Frankly, I hope this move backfires so the higher ups responsible for this malfeasance end up onthe soup line with Brad where they clearly belong.

None of SLU's current roster has made any tourney? So, why do you think they had a shot with BS? Now is a time for change, a lot of people have been saying that for months and it is time for Biondi and the higher ups to back up their words about being "a top 50 program." Yeah, I agree the timing was a little late, but hold up until we get a coach and see what recruits come in. These recruits right now have not said a word about their future plans and you are jumping to conclusions a little too quick IMO. Let's just wait and see who SLU lands. It's not like the two recruits SLU landed were heavily recruited. You are giving BS too much credit IMO.

You only hope this backfires because you are a Brad Fan not a SLU Fan. I don't like the timing but this wouldn't be an issue at all if Brad could've have followed up his earlier recruiting success with something of merit or gotten more than 1 NIT win in 5 years. 65 teams make the tournament and 34 in the NIT there are 317 DI teams come on!

Plenty of talented coaches would want to come to SLU. Coaches are all about ego they can suceed where someone else couldn't. You got to believe that.

I don't feel too sorry for someone whose life revolves around a game, has an indoor basektball court, and get's paid $300K to not work.

Nobody is worried about Brad on the soup line. A basketball coach who doesn't bank half his salary for a rainy day, deserves to be hungry.

I wasn't thrilled when Brad was hired but I still think we could do worse and we've just shot the spring recruiting period to hell. Could Kevin Oneil come here and woo the '08 class? Maybe or maybe not...

In reality, with the new coach honeymoon period, it might be the end of the fricking decade before we have a competitive team again.

It seemed to me it would've been the end of the decade to be competitive if Brad would've stayed, if that.

The new coach has 1 year in West Pine and then is in the Palatial New Chaifetz Arena. I don't think the rebuilding should have to take that long. Two decent recruiting classes and you are alright.

You'd have to believe the worst in Brad for your senario to make sense. I didn't and don't and I can smell the acrid stink of burning bridges and connections.

They will be rebuilt I'm sure, but when??? I don't know that I see us hiring a huge name replacement. 60 year old Gillen? I guess Vermeil did it for a year or two. Majerus? please. O'neil? If he was looking at Denver, we should be able to get him. He strikes my fancy as the best of the bunch but I'm not holding my breath.

What happens if we sign someone like Gregory and he flops around here like Gregory has at Dayton. Will you be happy then? I won't

We got Kenny Brown and Tom Frericks a few years back. Those are the only impact JUCO post players in recent history that came in and contributed right away. That was before the new JUCO rule changes for admittance. I don't think Brad was the worst we could do. I just think we could do better. I wasn't campaigning for his dismissal like many on the board but I did have a growing dread that he was not the guy to get it done. He didn't show me anything in five years to make me think otherwise and apparently the guys with the access to the program and the big money felt the same way. Hence, he is gone. So I move on because I am a fan of the school and I just want the school to win so I hope for the best. I don't necessarily want a 60 year old dude either. I didn't want the Cowboys to get the old Wade Phillips but so far the guy has impressed me. If a 60 year old dude could come in and producd a winner for 5 years and then move on and assistant J. Walker or A. Bonner then took over I would be happy.

I'd like to see Jerry Jones impaled on a spike. Find a fricking coach NOT some hundred year old retread from a team or teams I abhore!

Back to basketball: I'm moving on too BUT this wasn't well thought out and could go badly. This recruit period is trashed and we don't have a full stable at present. If you liked walkons playing big minutes this year, you'll love then starting next year!

david, make that move 4 weeks ago and they might have been able to have it both ways.

long term upside? this will be the 5th time i have told my self that in about 20 years.

kshoe said,

"Someday, you and the rest like you, will stop this pity party that SLU can't do better than a coach like Brad Soderberg and will realize that SLU can be a very nice program if the right man is leading it."

well let me know when that day comes. all i know is we change coaches every 5 years or so. it would be nice if we allowed someone the luxury of completing a program and then promoting from within. the fact we havent really ever done that proves WE ARE STARTING OVER AGAIN.

i do agree though that the right coach can come in and jump start things very quickly, but that means more than the sienna head coach or the purdue second assistant. it means a true coach celebrity. bring it on.