Good news/Bad news re: Rodney Alexander

SLUDrew

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have NO ONE on our roster that even comes close to bringing his size and ability to the floor.

Ideally he would take Bryce's spot. I would love to see a lineup of TL, KL, LM, MR, and RA. That is a lineup we could speed things up with. Then you have AM, DP, BH, AK, DM and DB(if he is able) coming off the bench.

I like the idea behind your proposed lineup, but there is no one taller than 6'7" in that group. I know height isn't everything, but a 6'9 guy sure would be nice. Perhaps one of the other 4's we are recruiting could play a 4/5 role. TL, KL, LM/MR (whoever wins the spot), RA, Juco 4/5. Then we have the ability to throw BH and AK in there to bang, LM/MR at the 3, DM's shot comes along and gives us a zone buster off the bench and DP and DB at the 1 and 2. I'd be darn happy with that squad.

Edit: didn't mean to leave mitchell out. hopefully he gives us a pit bull mentality off the bench. That would be 12 schollie players, depth in practice and depth off the bench for games.

I think they have 7 forwards on their roster. We have 3 - Relphorde, Meyer, Mitchell? The only one of those that is a true forward is Meyer, as far as we know. I'd wager he gets 1.5-2 times the playing time at SLU.

Edit: Sorry, forgot Knollmeyer. 4 tops.

alexander would be great, but i want mantas as well.

signing both would really open a dogfight for playing time on the roster imo..

Roy, i was thinking about that earlier. What a nice new problem for SLU to have, 4-5 guys in the 6'5"-6'7" range that can play multiple positions.

The question that came to mind, based off of our limited knowledge who would you rather have, RA or MG? Unfair question i know and there is no right answer since we don't really know what they can do, but just based on your gut feeling, who would take (you can only have 1 :)). I would love to have both or either, but if i had to choose...i'm taking RA.

I like Mantas to Roy, but I think I would rank the three JUCO bigs we are after as follows:

1) Alexander

2) Griskenas

3) Eberhardt

I really like Griskenas' game (at least what I can gather about his game from reading about it) but I would really like a big, powerful inside presence and I think Alexander is definitely more that player. Eberhardt seems to be like a poor man's Alexander and i would put him behind Mantas

I think if we sign Mantas and Alexander they are both immediate starters along with TL, KL, and LM. I would love that lineup.

I think StLouBlue listed 3-4 guys in the 6'9" range that SLU was listed as either being interested or the player was interested in SLU. I would like one of those 6'9" guys (assuming of course that he is an upgrade over the players on our current roster) and add at least RA or MG with that player. A guy can dream right?

since we havent seen either, that is hard to say, the fact that alexander was our fall choice probably says that soderberg would rather have alexander. however, i cant get over those stats of mantas and the 40 inch vertical. sounds like a fun player to watch.

as you said, if the stars are truly aligning as such, it would be a nice problem to have.

one of my favorite all time college basketball teams was the late 80's flying illini team that had no player over 6'7". they were fun to watch. opponents really had a hard time matching up with them.

If you look around the league there are not a lot or true centers so we won't really NEED Bryce to start for match-up reasons. His actual basketball talent leaves MUCH to be desired.

The most talented lineup, IF we are lucky enough to get RA and MG, would be TL, KL, LM, MA and RA.