Quick thoughts on tonight's game

AlumniFan

i agree, any marque comparisons are supreme compliments. marque ended up being an all-time favorite that will be able to get standing o's from the billiken fandom until his death. so please, dont take offense to people looking at reggie as the next marque.

that said, i agree their games are nothing a like. marque was about as explosive at we have ever had and was the picture definition of quick. probably only david burns compared speed wise to marque. but there is no denying that marque wasnt a very good shooter from the outside. one look at a reggie bryant game you know he is a shooter deluxe.

i really dont see reggie as any previous player for the billikens. he isnt as strong or explosive as justin love or mo jeffers were, but i think he has a better shot and quicker release than justin or mo. virgil cobbin had a beautiful shot, but he needed time to get it off and really had no ball skills like reggie who showed he can take it to the basket last night.

claggett had probably an even quicker release than reggie and we have yet to see if bryant is the shooter claggett was (i think he might be), but again, if i need someone to be able to drive to the basket as well as shoot, i think bryant can go to the basket better than erwin could.

reggie is reggie. no comparisons. he shouldnt be afraid to be the man. but i hope he takes what comes to him. part of that 6 turnovers was trying to make more out of something he already had. as good of a shooter as he is, he doesnt need to drive to the basket if they give him the look. he hits that shot, they get up on him, then drive. at least 4x last night he passed up open shots and then drove into the trees. i am betting that wont happen much in the future.

i agree with tseugnekillib. the issues of getting beat off the dribble are no surprise. let's not forget ross was playing against very experienced players last night that had some out court skills. i am betting the inside players that ross will lean on once the real season starts will not be as good with the ball as we saw last nite. what cant be forgotten is that ross did a lot of things right last nite and played his guts out. effort goes a long way. and if ross's opps are limited to shorter stints, the opposing coach wont have the time to make the needed adjustments to force the action at ross consistently. frericks stays out of foul trouble, we arent even discussing the problems we saw last night for ross imo. if there needs to be a spotlight, put it on tom's fouls.

reggie, drejaj and fisher all four had shorts so long they were at their shins. josh had knee pads on that i didnt notice till late in the game.

Ross is horrible, it is not BS it is facts. 7 points, great he is a spot up shooter, and sets some screens. His rebounding against a thin exhibition team upfront was poor, in fact Ross jumping ointo the scrum late cost us a couple boards.

His defense was horrendous, it seems he forgot how to play man to man. It was not a lack of athleticism, AIA were not speed demons, Ross could not follow his man amd was out of position several times and we got burned.

Varner is not my "whipping boy." I am concerned one because he is so mediocre and two because it appears he wil get a large amount of playing time. We are hurting the team when he is on the floor for long stretches. Like I said before if he is our first big man option off the bench we are in trouble.

(1) RV doesn't set "some" screen, he sets alot of screens as do both low-post players in Coach Soderberg's motion offense.

(2) SLU doesn't play man-to-man defense. SLU plays Coach Brad's PAK defense which, as I understand it, is pressure on the ball/shooter and everybody else packing the lane against the drive and providing off-ball help.

(3) RV is an average athlete, with above average smarts, working hard to help his team by being a 6-6 PF in a major bball conference.

(4) in game one, RV got 29 minutes because SLU didn't have a better option than RV, a point of fact you fail to recognize and accept.

(5) RV, like Deiner last season, is what he is! Accept it, appreciate his effort, and his 4.0 gpa, and pray for quick development by Ian, a mental adjustment by JJ, and better recruiting.

I understand the analysis of Reggie and Marquee. I really do. I guess I'm looking at it as if all I'm hearing is Marquee, I'm sure that's all Reg's hearing and I don't want to add any pressure whatsoever. I want him to Play is game, some will welcome it, some won't. I don't want him caught up in the Hype of even thinking he has shoes to fill. Thats not his mindset. His focus is playing with this team and help them go as far as they can in their title quest.

Well until I can get there I'm hoping you all will give Reggie this advice when you're at games. He's very humble, he'll want some insight. Because I'm not there, I can't yell at him during the games, but you all sure can!! :)

I'm certainly gonna pass on all of these helpful tips.

Compared to the forwards (and what ever the hell position Drew was trying to play) on really good programs, Ross and Drew are horrible. BUT They are both good students and good people and it isn't their fault that Zo and Charlie recruited them. They both put warm bodies on the floor and gave us what little they had. Hopefully if JJ can pullit together we won't have to be talking about Brad's misses in recruiting.

>(1) RV doesn't set "some" screen, he sets alot of screens as

>do both low-post players in Coach Soderberg's motion

>offense.

>(2) SLU doesn't play man-to-man defense. SLU plays Coach

>Brad's PAK defense which, as I understand it, is pressure on

>the ball/shooter and everybody else packing the lane against

>the drive and providing off-ball help.

>(3) RV is an average athlete, with above average smarts,

>working hard to help his team by being a 6-6 PF in a major

>bball conference.

>(4) in game one, RV got 29 minutes because SLU didn't have a

>better option than RV, a point of fact you fail to recognize

>and accept.

>(5) RV, like Deiner last season, is what he is! Accept it,

>appreciate his effort, and his 4.0 gpa, and pray for quick

>development by Ian, a mental adjustment by JJ, and better

>recruiting.

>

Like I said everybody sets screens, we shouldn't be amking such a big deal about it. No one lauds Sloan's screeening efforts because it is expected of him.

If you are suggesting SLU plays closer to a zone you are wrong. Brad plays a variation of a man to man. Each player has a man to guard, the positioning on the floor is irrelevant. If you miss your assignment you miss your assignment and for a guy like Varner who bring nothing to the table athletically he can't make many mistakes on the court. Missing defensive assignments is not good for Freshman much less a guy like Varner. He can't afford to make those mistakes, his play last night did not warrant the minutes he got. It is a big problem that we do not have any other options beside him. But don't tell me Varner is not immune from criticism just cuz he isn't as talented as other players. He has a job to do and when he does not do it he deserves to critsized and his minutes deserve to be scrutinized.

torch, after reading this and above posts on Coach Soderberg's offense and defense I now understand. You don't know what your looking at, thus it's difficult to impossible for you to know what your talking about! Maybe we could set together sometime and discuss the game and what is really happening. I'll even buy the first beer, if your of age.