Kentucky gets Gillespie

Tough for the Big 12 but both moves make sense.

Huggins left for his hometown and Alma Matter. Can anyone really blame him for leaving Manhattan KS.

Gillispie left for one of the Best jobs in College Basketball. Kentucky has 7 national championships, the most tournament appearances, The most wins in college basketball, Average almost 23,000 fans a game, and I believe the most conference championships.

The Big 12 still has plenty of good coaches and KSU and A&M will likely hire at least decent coaches. A&M in particular since they have a lot of money and are finally paying attention to basketball.

What is amazing is the amount of turnover. Only four schools in the Big 12 will have coahes that have been at their school longer than two years.

Missouri - New Caoch last year

Nebraska - New Coach last year

Iowa State - New Coach last year

Oklahoma - New Coach last year

Oklahoma St. - New Coach last year

Kansas St. - New Coach last year and this year

Texas A&M - New Coach this year

Colorado - New Caoch this year

The Big 12 is definitely in rebuilding mode but should be real good in a few years. They’ve hired some good young coaches.

Possible but Sutton retired from Oklahoma State and Oklahoma lost Sampson to Indiana. The rest made some bad hires. Take a look at the list of coaches they replaced. Quin Snyder, Jim Wooldridge, Barry Collier, Wayne Morgan, and Ricardo Patton. Not exactly the most formidable list of coaches.

>I know you just never had that kind of turnover in the old

>Big 8. It also seemed like the basketball teams at most of

>those schools were better then too. I haven't checked it

>out too see if that is the case.

The coaches in the old Big 8 weren't getting offers from Kentucky, North Carolina, and the NBA either.

>I don't know much about Gillespie. Is he ready for the

>pressure cooker at Kentucky? Will Kentucky loyalists wish

>they still had Tubby?

Gillispie has won at a school that hadn't won in a while(UTEP) and at a school that has never really won anything in hoops, nor supported it, Texas A&M. He should do well, and he will be popular out of the gate. Even if he falls flat on his face, which is not likely to happen, many people there didn't want Tubby anymore.

A season like this year was great at A&M....but would be a bad one at UK. So he will have to up it a notch or two...but should be able to bring in the recruits to do so. He can recruit and he can coach, when so many coaches today can only do one or the other, or neither. I think he will do fine. But will that be good enough for the UK fans?...nothing ever is.....

>>I don't know much about Gillespie. Is he ready for the

>>pressure cooker at Kentucky? Will Kentucky loyalists wish

>>they still had Tubby?

>

>Gillispie has won at a school that hadn't won in a

>while(UTEP) and at a school that has never really won

>anything in hoops, nor supported it, Texas A&M. He should

>do well, and he will be popular out of the gate. Even if he

>falls flat on his face, which is not likely to happen, many

>people there didn't want Tubby anymore.

>

>A season like this year was great at A&M....but would be a

>bad one at UK. So he will have to up it a notch or

>two...but should be able to bring in the recruits to do so.

>He can recruit and he can coach, when so many coaches today

>can only do one or the other, or neither. I think he will

>do fine. But will that be good enough for the UK

>fans?...nothing ever is.....

I think Gillispie is a good coach, but this seems like a reach to me. Remember, a lot of A&M's best players, including Acie Law, were recruited by Melvin Watkins.

>It is intresting that seven of those teams are members of

>the old Big 8. I think you can make a case that the

>formation of the Big 12 has hurt the former Big 8 members

>overall in basketball.

The schools that had or obtained good coaches have done fine. Those that made mistakes, including Missouri, have fallen away. A lot of people don't realize that Missouri actually finished second in the big 12 in 1998, which was Norm's second to last year. The league got better, and Missouri didn't keep pace.

It will be interesting to see which direction A&M goes without Gillespie. They were a doormat for a long time. In fact, they didn't win a conference game Watson's final year, which was Acie Law's freshmen year I believe.

I guess you forgot about Larry Brown. Billy Tubbs turned down NBA jobs when he had those great seasons with OU. Only the last year of Tim Floyd's time at ISU was in the Big 12, The rest was the Big 8. KSU lost Kruger to Florida. So it is not like none of the coaches were respected and successful.

None of the seven schools listed from the old Big 8 lost their coach to the NBA, UNC, or Kentucky. The point I was trying to make is that the old Big 8 schools had more success and stability before the Big 12 was formed.

I cannot say I know much about him as we don't see much Big 12 or A&M hoops here in Gator Land. I heard some of the talking heads talking about him when he was just a candidate, and these dudes questioned if he played the style of hoops that will win over the KY faithful. In other words, isn't he a defensive coach...it seemed to me that A&M was a good defensive team...not much of a fast break team. I don't question him being a good HC...just wonder is he can gear it up to play KY basketball???

Speaking of Watkins, My brother and I were just talking this morning about him. He had pretty good success at Charlotte and recruited the many of the best players at A&M. I wonder if they would have been as good had A&M been a little more patient with Watkins. It also makes me wonder why we never hear his name mentioned in schools looking for a coach.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.