Questioning Hobbie's logic

I know he's just a good ol' boy, but this kid sounds like a potential star for a mid-major D1 school. I don't pretend to know a lot about McKendree's academics, but it just blows my mind that this kid doesn't want to go to the next level. 25, 12, etc... 40 inch vertical, 3 point range, great build, etc... I just don't get it. No bitterness at all, I never heard squat about us recruiting him, just why oh why wouldn't you max out your opportunities at least within your own state??? If you're getting a free ride @ 20-30k a year, I'm sure your parents or your coach or whoever would pay your gas to come home and get hammered drunk on the river every weekend.

I. just. don't. get. it.

Eric Hobbie is a 6'6" c/pf from Vandalia hs school in Illinois who averaged 23pts 11boards and 3blocks per this past season. He finished his high school career with 2000+ points and 1000+ rebounds. Also the two time "King of the Hill" slam dunk champion. He chose Mckendree college in lebanon over SIU (as a walk-on) Illinois St, Butler, and Eastern Illinois because he wanted to stay close to home and have his family and friends continue to see him play.

How far are SIU and Saint Louis from Vandalia? Couldnt he had still been close to home playing for one of them. He is a beast, that's why I posted about him last week. I just cant understand why he's going to McKendree over bigger schools. Maybe he made his intentions known early because I'm pretty sure a lot of D1's would've taken a chance on this kid.

A lot of kids can dunk. This kid can DUNK!!!!!!! He didnt just dunk. He put up huge numbers. He dominated that AAU tourney game you see on the film. Did you even watch the 3 minute game clip of him? Does the word finisher mean anything to you.

i believe he was first team all state.

the distance difference is about 20 minutes drive time.

i would bet there are friends or a girl friend or some reason he wants to go to mckendree.

i played with a guy in high school that was very good that had scholarship offers that only wanted to fish and hunt as well. he almost took the mckendree deal because it was the closest to home and there were friends also going there.

it happens.

i can assure you of one thing, harry statham didnt "out recruit" anyone for him. harry had given up on recruiting in the mid 80's when my brother played there. kids just show up. it is actually amazing he has had the success he has had.

>i would bet there are friends or a girl friend or some

>reason he wants to go to mckendree.

He probably decided to go to McKendree because he actually wants to play. Contrary to what his HS coach thinks, he would not get any minutes as a true freshman at SIU. Not saying he doesn't have talent, but there's obviously reasons why he didn't get any D-I offers.

talk about the big fish in a small pond. he walks into mckendree and is likely not only a starter but maybe the star from day one.

that doesnt happen at most mid to upper d-1 schools for a kid from vandalia.

First of all, I thought the talent in Illinois was supposed to be so much better than the talent in Missouri, so why is everyone questioning his competition? Secondly, SIU had the guys they wanted for this year, but they did want Hobbie him as a preferred walk-on. That's been stated in several articles. Stop hating on this kid. He's 6'6 or 6'7. He has great hops. He shot well over 40% from beyond the arc. He will dominate the NAIA level from day one a la Mike Strobbe who McKendree is graduating this year.