Sky Frazier?

brianstl

Does anybody know if he has any interest in SLU or we have any interest in him? He will be eligible to play next year because he graduates this semester. He stated in the Springfield newspaper that he wants to play next season. I think he was completely wasted by Hinson the last two seasons and would add some needed quality depth up front next season.

And this team needs all the help it can get on the front line. His playing time was reduced do to falling outs with Hinson, not his ability. You do realize there are only two big men on the roster now. Even if you sign a JUCO big this team could still find a spot and plenty of playing time for Frazier. Plus he will only be here one year opening a scholarship for the loaded '08 class.

Exactly. He's a true center that's better than Husak. He started early in his career. He's a very good player. He worked very well with Tamarr Maclin inside for 2 years. It would've been hard to play Frazier and Drew Richards at the same time and they promised Richards time. I think Richards was Mr. Basketball in Missouri in 2004.

I question how much of it was Hinson and how much of it was Frazier losing interest in basketball. He had a productive 2nd season (7 ppg 4 rpg) and then fell completely off the map the following year, beginning in the preseason. Despite all the criticism Hinson gets from the Mo. State Internet community, they seemed almost pleased about Frazier's departure. Who's to say that Frazier won't decide to quit again, especially since he'll already have a degree? I'd rather use a scholarship on a kid fired up to play basketball.

I was thinking the same thing until I read immediatley after he left the team that he wanted to play next year. He has talent, it is a one year flyer on the kid (so it is basically the same as holding a scholarship for the '08 class, he has more talent then any big on our current roster, and it has worked out here before (Jamal Johnson). I say you take a chance on the kid.

Yes I realize we have only two big men on the roster for next year, and they averaged about 7 minutes a game between them last year. I think that in and of itself is a travesty and an inexcusable occurrence. Brad has to recruit his way out of the frontcourt situation he has created. Settling on Frazier will get us nowhere.

Would you not agree that if we cannot sign a frontcourt player better than Skye Frazier when it is very clear that any frontcourt player worth anything at all has a golden opportunity to come in and start right away, then that is an idictment of Brad's recruiting abilities?

We need to expect better than Valley cast-offs who only have one year of eligibility remaining

If we are going to hold an open scholarship for the '08 class, why not use it for a 1 year gamble with Frazier as opposed to letting the scholie gather dust? I'd be all for giving Sky the opportunity to come home and play one final year at SLU.

His problems had nothing to do with talent. He would come in and give us immediate starting minutes. You won't find many guys that can play the 4 or 5 that have three years D-1 playing experience and four years in a D-1 program. He would hopefully come here with a chip on his shoulder and you won't have any worries about getting him into school like our almost yearly JUCO follies

I think you only find it baffling because you strongly want to believe that Frazier is committed to playing basketball, whether he sees eye to eye with the coach or not. My fear is that his psyche is closer to that of Tate Decker than of Jamal Johnson. Our own JJ had his share of run-ins with the coach but at least he had the balls to stick it out.

3Star, I can see the argument that a player with a bad attitude does more harm to a team than good (although I don't know this to be the case with Frazier). If the scholarship is just going to be sitting on the shelf for the year in any case, I still think the risk is next to zero to bring Frazier in. If he turns out to be a disruption to the team, the coach suspends / dismisses him from the team and that is that. We need more bigs for '07-'08. If Frazier works out, it gives us depth upfront for '07-'08 but still opens up another scholarship for the mother load recruiting class of '08.

BTW, even though we are thin up front for next season, I am against bringing in a project with the last scholarship. A project won't help us next season in any event and such a player would be a downgrade from what we hope to land in '08. I'd rather try to get through next season with Marcus Relphorde as a depth big than bringing in a project.

But I don't really believe that Brad is definitely saving a schollie for next year. I think he plans to sign 4 players in the spring because that's all he realistically thinks he can sign that can actually play. If Pettigrew opts to go elsewhere and no late qualifiers emerge by June, then I could see the staff exploring Frazier as an option.

Drew, forget Brad's abilities and look at the realities for next year. If this has any merit, it would allow us some depth in the frontcourt while still leaving the scholarship for the '08 class. It is actually a good fit, even if he only played 10-15 minutes a game. (I'm not saying he would only play a few, I have no clue)

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

There are better options to exploit this rule with, not knowing if we have a chance with them or not.

Achara from Duquense who gave Ian all he could handle in the A10 tourney has graduated and has said he would leave. He might be looking to get into a BCS school though.

Also I thought I had heard that the rule was likely going to be changed.

I'm not one to bash players, but I'm telling you guys you don't want Frazier. He quit the team twice (came back once) and I don't think he's truly committed to playing basketball. Beyond that, he plays like a 3 rather than a 5. I'd probably start Husak over Frazier, but that's just me. He started 17 games as a Sophomore, and averaged 15 minutes per game. That was his best rebounding season and he averaged just over 4 per game. I totally agree that we misused him and probably shouldn't have recruited him. He just doesn't fit our team.

That said, it seems as if you guys will have an extra scholarship for 2007 that you want to have open for 2008. If that's the case, Sky would be a good fit. He would at minimum provide added depth.

The rule change is already in effect. If you transfer now, you have to sit out, regardless of whether you have graduated or not.

Here is an original story about Kruger utilizing it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2512779

and here is another story about Kruger which mentions the rule change...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=jk...=yhoo&type=lgns

and a story sepcifically about the rule being nixed...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../566665682.html

and here, read page 2

http://www.bsk.com/pdfinfomemos/01-2007%20...te%20sports.pdf

one more...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/coll...adlines-college

The rule was changed in January, to be effective immediately.