The nation's longest...

alameda bob

home winning streak is broken tonight. Santa Clara moves past Gonzaga into first place in the WCC with a 84-73 victory at MacCarthy Athletic Center in Spokane. The Broncos are now 19-7 and look like they could go dancing next month. They have 5 fifth years seniors and play with a lot of experience holding off a torrid Gonzaga ralley in the second half.

That was a tremendous road win for the Santa Clara University Broncos and "retiring" Coach Dick Davey.

Gonzaga's woes are like the end of Camelot. This is unprecedented in recent times. No tears will be shed here for the Zags. Frankly, it has been amazing how Gonzaga, located in Spokane, Washington, of all places, has been able to dominate this league, which has 3 schools in the SF Bay Area, 2 in the LA Southland, 1 in San Diego, along with traditional bottom feeder Portland.

The WCC looks like a 1 bid league. It will still come down to who wins the WCC Tournament, which is in Portland this year.

Elsewhere, USF beat LMU at USF on ESPNU and is now 7-4 in the league. But Santa Clara swept arch-rival USF this season. Guess who of all people was at USF's War Memorial Gym tonight as the TV analyst on ESPNU? It was none other than former SLU Coach Charlie Spoonhour. Had I known Spoon was going to be there, I might well have been in attendance at War Memorial Gym.

St. Mary's lost again, this time at Portland. The Gaels are in freefall collapse at 5-6 in the WCC, tied for 4th with San Diego. Former SLU Assistant, Randy Bennett's Gaels have work to do. They still have a home game with USF in Moraga coming up.

The first 2 seeds (Santa Clara and Gonzaga) get 2 byes into the semi-finals of the WCC Tournament. The third (USF) and fourth place teams get 1 bye into the quarterfinals. Seeds 5 through 8 have to win 4 games to win the WCC Tournament.

because the results don't even make your papers this morning, and most of you are asleep by the time the games end. Plus whenever a 50 game home winning streak is broken, it's news to all hoops junkies.

This was a throwback game, not to appear racist. At one time I noticed only 2 of 10 players on the floor where black. Just an observation.

"This was a throwback game, not to appear racist. At one time I noticed only 2 of 10 players on the floor where black. Just an observation."

Interesting comment, don't know what to make of it. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is why is that relevant?

Because some folks would see fit to supplement by saying that the game was played with good fundamentals, etc., which definitely gets into tenuous waters...

Wow, moy, you have really outdone yourself here.

Why mention there were two black coaches in the SuperBowl? Anyone get sick of hearing about that? Cuz I Sure did. Im sure you weren't howling at the media for that one.

Open your eyes and don't be so politically correct moy. You type of liberals are the ones ruining the country with your uber sensativity.

Fact is, most college and pro basketball players are black. Its notable when the majority of players on the court are white. Simple as that. Relax moy or move to Canada.

You are absolutely right re the format being for RPI purposes. It used to be a standard 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 v. 6, and 4 v. 5 in the first round, with all teams needing to win 3 games to win the WCC Tournament.

In the early days of Coach Few at Gonzaga, he came down to the Bay Area for the WCC Tournament and complained vociferously about why his #1 seeded Zags had to play then #8 Portland, then a big bottom feeder, which wreaked havoc with the Zags' RPI. In a subsequent year the format was changed to the current one.

Real classy moy, really classy.

If you went to SLU, I am very much embaressed. Actually ashamed that someone like you was given a diploma. SLU does not warrant an alumni such as you. SLU produces well rounded, intellectual alumni, and its too bad that a few can slip through the cracks like you.

You really should be embarressed for yourself above all.

No words are left to describe an individual such as you. I am advocating for a suspension of moy based on the fact he used the word "retard."