to the rpi experts.....

can someone explain how the big 12 jumped to 4th overnite in the rpi, and the big 10 fell to 6th? conference usa held at 5 though.

if they stay 4th they will obviously get at least 5.

i think thicks hit it on the head stating that the uconn and syracuse matchups have probably raised the standard of the big 12 strength of schedule.

cinci plays wake forest later this season, and Louisville plays Tennessee, unfortunately houston and I think tulane play some weak teams centenary and savannah state later as well.....regardless I cannot see how two teams playing two games can make a conference jump that much. if so we ought to figure out a way to prevent Houston and Tulane for playing those games....

its all about how the conference is being ranked. In Big 12 games against Non-conference competition they still rank 7th but when you factor in games against eachother and then compare the conferences they rank 4th.

I believe it has something to do with most of the teams in the Big 12 played very soft non-conference schedules, racking up very impressive W-L totals. (the average non-conference strenth of schedule for the Big 12 was 17th, compared to CUSAs 8th). As has been pointed out on this board before, 50% of any team's RPI is the W-L of their opponents. Since Big 12 teams have a higher W-L % than the Pac 10, Big 10 and CUSA, albeit against weak competition, any time they play eachother their RPI will go up because the W-L% of their opponents is so high.

Thus, it all depends on how you look at things. Should a game played against oneself be included in the total calculation or not? If not, the Big 12 is the 7th best. If so they rank 4th. Either way it expoes a major flaw of the RPI.

I think the Big 12 will get 5 teams but no matter what AJ says, this is still a down year for the conference.

http://kenpom.com/confrank.php?year=2004