We're 12-8, not 8-12

CAG

>There's so much pressure on these kids to live

>up to the hype I'm afraid it's stunted their development.

>East St. Louis's Anthony Mitchell, a kid I never even heard

>of last year, is probably the 2nd best junior in the St.

>Louis area.

I read an old thread where pdiddy points out that Mitchell is a senior not a junior. Sorry about that. I guess that leaves Roundtree or Kramer as a distant #2 behind Suggs in the local junior class.

Duquense might actually be in front of us next year if the Spring crop comes up a bust or is filled in with VN clones. Still, I think what keeps him around for next year is the promise of the Junior class. Now if that comes up with nada...we're going to have to sit on our hands and bite our tongues for another season ...and wait until April of '08 to find out whose SLU's next coach. And for B'roy, I don't think we are as good as last year. We're dropping in the conference most likely from 10-6 to 8-8 or worse. I had held out hope that our bench, DP, JJ, and AK would finally contribute. Only AK is helping, but w/o the other two stepping it up and IV continuing to play funky, we are just about toast for this year.

Brad will not be fired now or at the end of this year. He has two years remaining on his contract and the school and boosters are not in a position to eat well over a million of his salary. We might be open to eatting one year but not 2. CL will wait to see what Brad brings in this spring - if he comes up with 4 players that can actually play next year then the heat will be off temporarily. The fall signing period will then also become very important to him. If he wiffs this spring and fall then his head will be on the block. CL will not want to open the arena on a down note. As far as the money still needed for the arena - the naming rights thing has been put on the back burner and will take several years if ever to consumate and the remaining money will just simply dribble in over the next couple of years. By the time the arena opens it will be basically paid for even if they have to revise the current fund raising plan and move some money around in the institution.

Cheeseman, I posted the fact that they are not in the position to eat Brad's contract after the season a few weeks ago. The ABCers don't want to believe it.

It is a fact folks. The school, the athletic department, and boosters are basically tapped right now. Money from the schools endowment or the general fund will not be touched to buy Brad out.

Roy,

Verbal commitments, while not binding by any means, still mean something in my opinion. These tell me that a coach is actively working on getting talent to his team and this could aid in convincing other recruits to seriously consider a school where top rated players are going or even where their friends are going. You are seriously trying to tell me that early verbal commitments mean nothing..... you're crazy if you feel that way. To say that Brad keeps his recruiting to himself is a bunch of crap. That tells me he has no one!!!!

I just think there is no way the can afford to eat two years right now. If they structure the buyout over multiple years would require them to pay Brad additional money and I don't see Biondi doing that. They would still have to find the money to cover payments to Brad and have to find the money to cover the increase in pay any coach would receive over what Brad is making. The going price for a coach has gone up since Brad signed his extension.

Moy, I am quickly losing patience with Brad too. I stand by my response to you when ask me what should happen if this season keeps going the same way. I think it would probably be time for him to go. I just think there is no way it happens.

If he stays CL has to sit done with him, if she already hasn't, and give him a list of things that have to change. She should make it clear his job depends on it. The money crunch shouldn't last to long.

"I just think there is no way the can afford to eat two years right now."

I think there are ways to structure such a contract that we wouldn't "eat" it right now.

"If they structure the buyout over multiple years would require them to pay Brad additional money and I don't see Biondi doing that."

I don't know if that's true or not.

I really enjoy Brad's radio programs on Mondays. Each time i listen to them, i get the impression that Brad can make things happen at SLU and i like how he handles himself. But that little love affair ends when i look at the bigger picture. I hope CL is doing her diligence.

There is still a ton of season left. I'm not a kool-aid drinker by any means, but I agree this team has shown flashes of being VERY good. They could still finish with a very good conference record and a good seed in the conference tourney. And if they win the conference tourney all goals have been met anyway. I do agree with Roy and a few others that the hand wringing is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY premature for this year.

Well, I have a sinking feeling about tonight's game not going too well. And based on the last four and a half years of UB at the helm it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY to far to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And if you do see one, get out of the way, it's probably another train.