The Rex Hudler Syndrome

brianstl

it isnt just luke's man. polk's defender sags as well. at least luke is scoring about twice as much as polk with a higher efficiency rate.

of course luke contributes more rebounds.

also, if meyer is so wide open, then how in the world is he shooting more free throws than polk? who's fouling him? he's not being guarded!

also, let's point out that polk doesnt lead the team in assists or assists to turnover ratio anymore as well and soon will be third in assists.

and my oh my luke has more steals than dwayne as well, even though you claim polk is the best defender.

yeah, let's get luke out of the game. he is the weak link.

it appears to me that luke is the glue. i would shudder to think where we would be without the improvement and play of luke meyer. but i could deal without the dwayne polk we have seen since a-10 play has started.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

billinikens said,

"If you want to argue our defense would be better with AK rather than LM then I'd listen a little more, although I haven't seen anything that would suggest this is true. To be honest, AK doesn't look much taller or stronger than LM to me when he's out there."

but adam would look taller and stronger than dwayne polk.

I really don't understand your point here. We're trading AK for DP on offense. Not exactly losing a ton there. Why suddenly is Luke given so much more attention? Just because he is a 3 and not a 4? And by your argument, why would anyone bother since he doesn't take advantage of not being guarded at the 4?

Finally, why would you criticize a player for taking open shots that come through the natural flow of the offense and making them at an impressive clip as the fourth option? They can't guard everybody, so having an efficient shooter like Luke to make open shots when they're given to him seems like a luxury to me. It's one we haven't had a lot of recently if you've seen some of the struggles we've had offensively in years past...

Let me get something straight....you are blaming our poor conference play on LM? You don't think it has anything to do with our poor defense, poor coaching, lack of depth, injuries, etc etc? Brian, do you go the games?

Besides TL, LM is arguably our best player on both ends. you are losing a lot of credibility on this board.

i agree. i am just pointing out that if i was to bring knollmeyer to the lineup it would be at the expense of dwayne polk's starting spot not meyer's.

i would still get polk at least 20-25 minutes a game though.

and i pointed out in another post that lisch not shooting as well is one of the disapointments of the year. still lisch scores more, shoots free throws better, and defends better. all in all, polk doesnt compare to an even injured lisch.

LM is a better player than IV or KL at either end of the floor? Please. Where is the credibility in stating LM is arguably our second best player at both ends of the court?

Give me a break. You all can go on loving your hustling, gritty white guy. The team will go on getting hammered in conference play.

I have always been a Brad supporter, but his refusal to move DP to the point, TL to the three, and to move LM out of the four have me really questioning him.

LM would much better serve this team being the first guy of the bench. It would allow him to play multiple positions and would give the coach a chance to dictate some match-ups with LM.

How can you question the most consistant player on our team Brian?

I'm starting to believe you have NEVER been to a game this year. That would at least explain your moronic statements above.

Why don't you go back and watch tape of the things Luke does that DON'T show up in the statbook. He always boxes out, on both ends, dives for balls, hussels, knocks down the big shot under pressure, etc.

You lost all credibility in my eyes Brian with this statement. All credibility. You certainly must be slow.

It's plain and simple. Let's just assume we have a viable 4 who's starting in the 4 spot. If it's between Luke at the 3 or DP at the point for that last starting spot, you'd be crazy to put Luke on the bench. He's been your 4th best player all year. It's not like he wouldn't get any less shots at the 3. I also think people underestimate his athleticism. He's a much better natural athlete than people give him credit for.

Luke Meyer NOT starting? thanks for the laugh. At least we now know who really knows basketball and who pretends to know basketball.

LM defensively is better than IV and this year, he is better offensively. are you aware IV is having a terrible year? are you also aware that Lisch hasn't been playing?

Brian believes UB should bench Luke, bring him off hte bench, and then we would probably be undefeated in the A-10? You havent answered my question, do you go to the games?

i forget which game it was (that i went to, and watched, like i always do, before i critique players' ABILITY), but yeah, luke had a man in his face in the right corner, drove left, elevated, and i swear i thought he was going to tomahawk the $h!t out of it, when he laid it in (still above the rim) w/ his left instead

he can jump, there's no question about that, and he's probably the best fundamental player on this team (kevin's in contention, of course)

you're right, a smart, hard-nosed, fundamentally solid, deceptively athletic kid w/ stats to back it all up, who has all but graduated already, LET'S BENCH HIM.

So I guess everybody is just hunky dory with the four spot and those that are not think Luke would just be fine at the three (the spot Tommie should be playing). Luke is all good because he boxes, he hustles, dives for balls, and he is gritty. You all can relate cuase that is what you did when you played or when you still do play in a rec league. Boys this is D-1 basketball and it takes a hell of a lot more than that.

I think the way to get this team to preform to the level it should be at is to get some of the pressure off IV. I think as long as our opponents know they don't have to worry about the guy at the four spot they wont quit putting that man on Ian.

Hell there are other problems with this team for sure. Tommie should not be the point guard. DP should. Tommie should be at the three. Tommie reminds me so much of D Wade. I don't remember Crean trying to turn Wade into a point guard. Brad is convinced that he can make him a big time point guard oh well.

I don't ever think it is good thing when your pg is getting over 20 in six straight games and in only in two of those games does anyone else come within 8 points of his total. By the way, our record is 2-4 in those games.

A lot of teams don't always start there best five players. They start the best five that make a team. They will hold a guy on the bench for when the best match up presents itself.

I guess Marcus Williams was not among the five best players on the UNC championship team.

Hold up....Did you just compare our team with the UNC Championship team? I think you did, and I think you need to just stop. You are sounding foolish. Know when to admit you are wrong.

Brian, when you are SLU and have ZERO depth, you must start your best players. MARVIN Williams was a stud, but so were the starters.

And Luke not enough, I do think Polk's place is at the point. I realy don't see Adam as a viable replacement for Luke at the four though. Blame Brad for not getting a better forward, but Adam will foul out in about five minutes while trying to guard a mobile power forward. If you see the defense sagging off of Luke, it would give less respect to Adam. Sometimes you have to go to war with the army you have, not the one you'd like to have.....A wise, much maligned man once said that........