New conference

washu77

Yeah, maybe I should get out more. As a season ticket holder I would always make a couple of away games every year like DePaul, Louisville, Memphis, etc. But, they are no longer in our conference. However, I am not going to act like a freaking snob and think I'm too good for the MVC. By the way, who in the hell is our rival? Of course you're going to say we don't need one. Ah well.

Maybe in the A10 we can be more competitive than we would be in any other conference.

Let's beat them Fordham Rams next time, ok boys?

eddie, why do you refuse to believe that xavier and dayton cant be rivals? for that matter, why not charlotte? why not st joes or temple?

you throw fordham out there as an extreme example, but i can say the same about evansville or northern iowa. who cares about them?

sure because we play regularly siu and missouri state have rival possibilities, but why not dayton and xavier?

and as much as you call us snobs for not wanting to be in the mvc, i am just as boggled that you cannot see the advantages to the university to be in the east coast based a-10. you do realize that there are far far more jesuit based high schools in new york, philly, etc than in carbondale and wichita? and those high schools are pushing jesuit colleges. the more we are visiable in those cities where those schools are at the more those kids will come to slu.

also, outside of the st louis metro area, i believe that ohio sends more kids to slu than any other geographic area.

far more went into the decision than basketball.

Xavier. If we keep punking them they'll hate us enough to be a rival.

I'll take Cincy over whatever god forsaken hell hole of a city that Northern Iowa is located in. I'll take Philly over Wichita, New York over Evansville, DC over Peoria, Dayton over Omaha, Olean over Carbondale, etc.....

>Yeah, maybe I should get out more. As a season ticket

>holder I would always make a couple of away games every year

>like DePaul, Louisville, Memphis, etc. But, they are no

>longer in our conference. However, I am not going to act

>like a freaking snob and think I'm too good for the MVC. By

>the way, who in the hell is our rival? Of course you're

>going to say we don't need one. Ah well.

>

>Maybe in the A10 we can be more competitive than we would be

>in any other conference.

>

>Let's beat them Fordham Rams next time, ok boys?

It takes time to build rivals oh impatient one. Do you really think any of your above exampled teams considered SLU a rival when they joined the same conference? Rivalries are built with competitive play. How many times does one need to say it to you. Since you are the well traveled SLU fan, you should know a thing or two about the new conference opponents or at least be willing to learn.

Do you think Pittsburgh, Syracuse, UConn, Georgetown etc...considered Marquette a rival when they joined the Big East??? Do you think they do now? or at the very least are starting to? You bet your butt. Why? Competitive play.

And, SLU even has Xavier, Dayton and some familar opponents you seem to like. There are some wonderful road trips for you Eddie. Maybe you don't like Fordham...probably not enough for you to do in NYC.

It isn't being a snob. Why don't you go back a few pages and read recent threads before posting? I am sure you are too busy.

Nobody thinks SLU is too good for the MVC. Just because SLU doesn't want to join that league, the uninformed think SLU is too good for that league. It is a good league. It also isn't a good fit for SLU. How is that being too good for the league? It's not.

The reason why Louisville, Memphis etc...had rivals is because they were good teams. Do you really see the following schools as more of a potential rival than the ones you just mentioned. I sure don't.

Evansville

Drake

Illinois St

MO St

SIU

Indiana St

N, Iowa

Creighton

Wichita St.

Bradley

Those schools aren't going to draw the casual fan to a game at SLU. It never has before. The majority of people aren't especially more interested in seeing these schools. Why, because many have been scheduled and haven't drawn the fans. I do know SLU has drawn a lot more fans vs some of those other teams. The people spoke by not coming to those MVC games.

And we walked through all of the other reasons.

I'd take Omaha over Dayton, but that's it. The Box & Won clan is from Omaha, and it's actually pretty nice. Dayton, on the other hand...not so nice. I have a cousin at Creighton right now, keeping our little Jesuit college family tradition (SLU, Xavier, Loyola and Creighton) alive.

Anyway, while I see us developing a great rivalry with Xavier, we'll never be THE rival to them - we'll always be behind Dayton and UC (and maybe even Miami). We unfortunately do not have an archrival.

Courtside the MVC fans only see it from thier side. If you say anything negative about the conference you hate thier conference.

When you even say positives things about there conference you are a hater. I had Valley fan get pissed off when I told him that in many sports SLU could not be competive for a very long time in the Valley so for those sports the A-10 made perfect sense. The guy flew off the handle and said i wa putting the Valley dowm. Go figure.

Also, the Valley fans see the rivalry thing only from the Valley side. SLU would give those fans a home game to look forward to. It would be the lets go show those upitty city slickers how to play basketball.

I believe that Cincy, Louisville, and USF all joined the Big East for the football probably even more than the basketball. Remember this year the Cardinals played in a lucrative BCS bowl game. Of course that is not true of Marquette and DePaul but they would also share in the bowl game money just as any other BE conference team would. The BE played some darn good and competitive football this year so one cannot discount it.

I have thought about this from time to time and have come up with a couple of different options. I would take any of these three over our current situation.

OPTION 1

If the Big East breaks up.

Marquette

DePaul

Xavier

Dayton

Saint Louis

Creighton

Notre Dame

Bradley

RPI as of Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Marquette - 24

Bradley – 34

Creighton – 35

Xavier – 49

Notre Dame - 50

DePaul – 64

Dayton – 73

Saint Louis - 101

2006 Attendance

Marquette – 13,998

Creighton – 13,900

Dayton – 12,422

DePaul – 9,897

Xavier – 9,774

Notre Dame – 9,404

Saint Louis – 9,325

Bradley – 9,220

States

Wisconsin

Illinois

Ohio

Indiana

Missouri

Nebraska

Media Markets

Chicago

Cincinnati

Saint Louis

Milwaukee

Omaha

Dayton

Peoria

South Bend

OPTION 2

Join the MVC along with Xavier.

Bradley

Creighton

Evansville

Drake

Illinois State

Indiana State

Missouri State

Northern Iowa

Saint Louis

Southern Illinois

Wichita State

Xavier

EAST

Bradley

Evansville

Illinois State

Indiana State

Southern Illinois

Xavier

WEST

Creighton

Drake

Missouri State

Northern Iowa

Saint Louis

Wichita State

2006 Attendance

Creighton – 13,900

Wichita State – 10,435

Xavier – 9,774

Saint Louis – 9,325

Bradley – 9,220

Southern Illinois – 7,291

Missouri St. – 6,965

Northern Iowa – 6,898

Evansville – 6,025

Illinois St. – 5,409

Indiana St. – 4,278

Drake – 4,267

Current RPI as of 1/24/2007

Southern Illinois – 10

Bradley – 34

Creighton – 35

Missouri State – 40

Northern Iowa – 47

Xavier – 49

Wichita St. – 60

Evansville – 80

Indiana St. – 95

Saint Louis - 101

Drake – 118

Illinois St. – 125

OPTION 3

A modified A10 or new conference with these teams.

Xavier

Dayton

Saint Louis

Charlotte

UMass

Temple

Richmond

Rhode Island

George Washington

St. Joseph’s

Butler

Wright State

EAST

George Washington

Rhode Island

Richmond

St. Joseph’s

Temple

UMass

WEST

Butler

Charlotte

Dayton

Saint Louis

Wright State

Xavier

2006 Attendance

Dayton – 12,422 – Wes t

Xavier – 9,774 – West

St. Louis – 9,325 – West

Charlotte – 6,641 – West

Temple – 5,725 – East

Wright St. – 5,045 – West

UMass – 4,903 – East

Rhode Island – 4,759 – East

Richmond – 4,748 – East

St. Joseph’s – 4,422 – East

George Washington – 3,811 – East

Butler – 3,760 – West

RPI as of Wednesday, January 24

Butler – 20 – West

Xavier – 49 – West

George Washington – 68 – East

UMass – 69 – East

Dayton – 73 – West

St. Joseph’s – 99 – East

Saint Louis – 101 – West

Wright St. – 126 – West

Charlotte – 127 – West

Rhode Island – 131 – East

Temple – 148 – East

Richmond – 281 – East

>I believe that Cincy, Louisville, and USF all joined the Big

>East for the football probably even more than the

>basketball. Remember this year the Cardinals played in a

>lucrative BCS bowl game. Of course that is not true of

>Marquette and DePaul but they would also share in the bowl

>game money just as any other BE conference team would. The

>BE played some darn good and competitive football this year

>so one cannot discount it.

Actually Schasz no, the basketball only schools in Big East do not get any football money. The 8 football schools get it all, and unlike other football conferences, instead of equal shares, they give the money in tiers based on your league performance that year....so if you finish a little higher, you get a little more. The other BCS conferences split equally.

West Virginia pounded Georgia last year as well in BCS game in Georgia. South Florida is on the rise on football as well.

People balked at Big East being successful with 16 team conference for hoops. Well...first 8 teams made the NCAA's...nobody thought that would ever happen. Blew it open immediately and set new precedent for league bids. Advavantage Big East.

Half of those schools getting bids were hoops only schools, suggesting, their value to diversify the league to non-football schools. Advantage Big East.

The Big East signed a $30 million dollar annual deal with ESPN for football and basketball in which nearly all of its basketball games are televised on an ESPN affiliate(the rest are on CBS). Only the ACC can say the same in dollar value and huge exposure. Advantage Big East.

Here is where the success of the Big East helps A10, MVC, and other non-football leagues...it shows that a basketball league can be very successful with a lot of non-football schools...get that huge ESPN/CBS money...and exposure...etc...because no hoops only league out there has that. People should hope for the success of the Big East and not its downfall because it elevates the status of basketball only schools. It shows that a high powered conference doesn't have to rely on its football revenues. It helps everyone in the league, and also helps basketball only schools.

There will always be a bottom to any league, and pressure on coaches with decent teams at the bottom, but Big East is looking pretty good for now.

It will go to an 18 game conference schedule next year up from 16 so everyone can play everyone else at least once.

Gee that not sharing in the football money is something I did not realize and kind of F'd up for the basketball only schools, but hey, I guess they signed off on it so no surprises for them.

You do not have to tell me about USF and their football team...they get plenty of exposure down here in Tampa. I wonder about Leavitt every time a big job opens, but he seems pretty content trying to build them into a football power and don't kid yourself they may not be too far off. I think they seem to be getting some solid commitments for the Feb. signing period...they have a pretty damn good Frosh QB so they are set at that position for 3 more years. I can see the day and soon when a ticket to a USF game will be a valuable ducat.

Their basketball HC has that team playing more competitive ball. Would anyone believe that USF has as many wins in the tougher BE than the Bills have in the weaker A10. They still have a way to go but I seem to remember one of their earlier wins was over Wake Forest.