questions someone should ask thursday nite

we need to compile a list of questions that those that can go thursday nite can ask at the billiken club meeting.

here are the ones i can think of:

for brad

1. why not play maguire and knollmeyer more?

2. how close are we to getting a commit from any recruits?

3. what's the story with obi? is he in or out?

4. what is the true story on lisch's elbow and hand?

5. why cant you use multiple defenses more than you do?

6. why do still insist on the pack man to man when it obviously gives up too many three point opportunities?

for cheryl

1. can you comment on the recent disclosures on the terrible athletic dept budget numbers that have come to light recently?

2. what is going on with the CSTV television deal and what will happen next year?

3. has saint louis university taken a stance with the atlantic ten on the many issues that have come to light since joining the atlantic ten such as poor officiating, amateur conference tourney, poor travel packages for the tourney, horrible television deal, near sighted strength of scheduling for the conference etc

what else can anyone add to the list?

coach soderberg typically shows up. judging that he hasnt ducked anyone since saturday, i would guess he will be there. cheryl hasnt been as good about coming to the meetings, but i respect her a lot and it wouldnt surprise me that she shows up to answer concerns.

i am not sure what bob ramsey can present at this meeting, however i am sure the agenda was set long before our current setting.

i wont be at the meeting as my daughter plays in collinsville that night. but surely some regular from billikens.com will be there thursday nite. so everyone should add to the list.

Brad said on the radio yesterday that he planned to be there. My guess is that he will give a straightforward answer to each of the questions except for the one about recruits because of the NCAA rules. The last thing we need is for some idiot who wants him fired to say that Brad has broken the NCAA rules.

Cheryl has come at times but I do not know if she will attend. She is always willing to answer questions as well.

I am tied up as well so I hope we get a good report. That meeting will be a heck of a lot more pleasant if we win tomorrow night!

>Brad said on the radio yesterday that he planned to be

>there. My guess is that he will give a straightforward

>answer to each of the questions except for the one about

>recruits because of the NCAA rules. The last thing we need

>is for some idiot who wants him fired to say that Brad has

>broken the NCAA rules.

>

>Cheryl has come at times but I do not know if she will

>attend. She is always willing to answer questions as well.

>

>I am tied up as well so I hope we get a good report. That

>meeting will be a heck of a lot more pleasant if we win

>tomorrow night!

He most certainly can talk about recruiting, just not specific unsigned players.

just should be phrased "without naming names, can you tell us if any recruits are ready to verbally commit now and sign with st louis university in may?"

there is no way he can get in trouble with that question.

Brad has answered these on postgame interviews, interviews with Bob and Frank on their show on 590 and on the Monday night Brad Soderberg show...

1. why not play maguire and knollmeyer more?

-he is really impressed with DM lately but feels he is too slow defensively. Not as good as Danny on that side of the ball. He is slowly working AK in to the rotation. Likes Justin better right now.

2. how close are we to getting a commit from any recruits?

-he has said he's excited about a couple of guys for the spring recruiting class but won't take it any further then that.

3. what's the story with obi? is he in or out?

-he has said he's academically ineligible but still a member of SLU

4. what is the true story on lisch's elbow and hand?

-he said if you ask kevin, kevin will tell you he's fine. However after initially seeing the injury he thought it would be a month long process for it to heel. He said his elbow is probably still sour and wheres the elbow rap to protect it from getting injured again.

5. why cant you use multiple defenses more than you do?

-he's used man to man and a 2-3 zone. he's listened to other coaches "confidants" on their ideas. It's a matter of executing.

6. why do still insist on the pack man to man when it obviously gives up too many three point opportunities?

-again a matter of execution. he said he would start holding players more accountable for missing their assignments.

Since I'm a new poster you probably won't believe any of those answers. Then again, anyone who follows the program closely has heard

Brad answer those questions time and again over the last 2 weeks.

CAG

"6. why do still insist on the pack man to man when it obviously gives up too many three point opportunities?

-again a matter of execution. he said he would start holding players more accountable for missing their assignments."

I have been thinking about this, the idea is motivation, and the problem is with such a short rotation, how do you successfully "reprimand missed asssignments". ie if ian does not rebound does he get benched? who comes in if DB fails to close out, or DP fails to close out?

I hope he does add a man or two to the to the rotation and benches those who do not play with intensity.

I think some want those questions answered again as if Brad were going to change his answers. Brad has answered those questions as well typed out in this thread. Brad has also said he doesn't have the answers in other interviews. Perhaps, Roy's whole point in wanting those questions asked is to respectfully show Brad he's not getting it done.

You bring up a good point about Brad asking his confdants. Many coaches turn to other coaches who are friends or mentors. Does anybody know if Brad talks to anybody regularly to get their thoughts or to evaluate the situation?

It is easy to get around saying names Romar used to do it. If he knew you were talking about a certain player ... even if you said the name ... something like ... what does Scott Suggs bring to the table. He would say ... I can't talk about specific recruits ... but we would like a 6'5" 2 guard with great leaping ability, above average handle and a fast improving 3 point shot. He wouldn't say he was recruiting Scott Suggs or even that Scott Suggs had certain skills ... but everybody knew what he meant.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.