"Fire Brad" signs

SLUBALLS

I'll keep this simple for the individuals who held those up: You have no class. I've never seen anything like that nor felt more ashamed and embarrassed as a fan than when I saw those signs being waved during Sat's game. I'm as disappointed as anyone on this board with the recent two losses but the simple fact is you don't give up on your team. We still haven't hit the lowest of the low; we've slipped in meeting expectations. Our boys and our coach need our support not a couple $2 dollar signs calling for their heads.

I've supported Brad every single moment up until this game. When he consistently played Danny Brown while he was making mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake that was terrible. Brad doesn't trust the young players he recruited like Knollmeyer and Maguire. He can't motivate Ian, who has regressed like no basketball player I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone start off a season as promising as Kevin Lisch and end up playing so poorly for the past month and a half. What did "coach" tell Tommie in the locker room? Too stop shooting??!!!! TERRIBLE.

Now, I didn't have a Fire Brad sign, nor did I even see one, but I don't see anything wrong with it. What happened to free speech? Do we not have any vested interests in this team and this game. If someone in the audience feels there is something wrong with the team, then he or she is allowed to show his or her feelings on the matter! We paid for these tickets, paying Soberberg's salary. We should be able to give feedback to Levick if we feel our money is going to poor use, which it obviously has been by the judging of the last few games.

------------------------------------------------------------

*Official Billikens.com sponsor of Mike Beczkala

>

"Now, I didn't have a Fire Brad sign, nor did I even see one,

>but I don't see anything wrong with it. What happened to

>free speech? Do we not have any vested interests in this

>team and this game. If someone in the audience feels there

>is something wrong with the team, then he or she is allowed

>to show his or her feelings on the matter! "

No one said that displaying such a sign is illegal or that people don't have the right to express themselves. It is not a free speech issue. The comment was that is classless, and I concur. There is a big difference between having the right to do something and exercising restraint in doing it.

Let me start off by saying that even my eternal optimism is starting to waiver pretty bad after this loss. I'm not mailing it in yet as we're only 2 games into the conference, but if we don't pull it together we aren't going to beat anybody. But, it's still college basketball and ANYTHING can happen.

That being said, a sign like that is absolutely classless and in no way can help our team or program. This isn't professional sports, fellas. Something like that negatively effects the players morale, the fans morale, recruiting decisions, and the perception of the program. To the guy that said the loss itself did more damage, I agree. But isn't enough damage done? Same with the website. We still have a lot of time left. And regardless of your feeling towards BS, we still want the team to win. Brad is not going to get fired mid-season...everybody knows that. And does anybody really want him fired mid-season? The poll says no. We can talk about it on here all year, but until the end of the season I think we need to support the team and the coach.

We know it was you, man...you told us about it last week.

To echo the sentiments in my other post, I don't think you are helping the program with that site. In the end, don't we still want the Bills to win this year? And don't we want to sign some recruits in the spring? If you want to put this stuff up at the end of the season, it's your perogative. But can you honestly say putting this site up mid-season is going to help matters? If so, I'd like to hear your rationale.

Here's the deal - literally overnight we went from conference power to conference pushover. We have a coach who is losing his grip on his team and he has no coaching philosophy to help get his players to respond. I really don't care about helping the program, Nashvegas. I want to see what's best for our program, and that might be offering some criticism and suggesting that we need some new direction. I didn't like the Soderberg hire; I think that going internal for a new coach on an interim basis is fine, but I think we needed to clean house and get some fresh blood in here. Soderberg has no idea what he is doing.

www.firebradsoderberg.wordpress.com

" really don't care about helping the program, Nashvegas. I want to see what's best for our program, and that might be offering some criticism and suggesting that we need some new direction."

Huh? You don't want to help the program? But you do want to help the program? Ok, I guess that makes sense in your world. But you yourself said, we were a "conference power". Soderberg has to take credit for that (if he also takes credit for the loss). And hey, I'm not very happy with our coach at this point. But he deserves to finish this season. With our "inside sources" all over the place, we'd have heard if Brad has "lost control". The team is a close nit bunch and I think disrupting the coaching situation would do a lot more harm than good at this point.

Oh, and I decided to go ahead and read ur blog. I love this nugget..."where a University builds pride and success isn’t on Research Facilities or closing streets to build a clock tower; it’s through athletics. "

I know 99% of graduates don't get jobs based on a sports team. Research facilities are gonna be what gets that pacheck of urs bumped up outta school. You should probably root for an SEC team. I know plenty of low income, orange clad alumni who can help you out.

Just a quick though. I'm generally pretty clueless about recruits, but does anyone think a recruit might change his mind and have a greater desire to come to SLU if Brad is gone? I'm thinking if in the summer, Brad is fired and an up-and-comer is hired from a BCS school, would some recruits think, "hey, SLU looks like a better option now"?

I mean do not mean to be an ass or sarcastic with this comment. I wonder if some recruits have a negative attitude towards SLU because of UB's system and method of coaching.

i would think if your scenario played out, i would hope that the powers to be at slu are asking the "up and comer" coach to be just what recruits he has in his pocket. if he says none, then you got a definite start over in process.

While i agree with you that SLU should definitely ask that question and part of my thinking on trying to find the up-and-comer is that he would have some recruits in his pocket, i disagree that we would be starting over. What recruits does UB have in his pocket other than his son? Wouldn't it just be a "picking up where the last coach left off"?

no because whether you all want to admit it or not, there are recruits out there that coach soderberg and his staff have been building relationships for a period of time. now a new guy shows up and sticks out his hand and says, "hi i just took over for coach soderberg". there is no way that relationship picks up where it left off unless that coach was also similarly recruiting the same guy.

and even if he was recruiting the same guy, what if that previous recruiting pitch was something on the order of "you dont want to go to slu. they dont even blah blah blah and they cant measure up to our blah blah blah". now what, does the new coach go in and tell the recruit, "you know what i said about slu before, well that was all a big lie. actually it is the other way around and xyz university was the one behind slu and that is why i left".

sorry, a new coach is going to be starting over unless he already has won the guy over solely on that coach's merits only.