Powell had 31pts 15rbs last night in T of C opener

VTIME

That's right, its Tournament of Champions time again. Vashon squeaked by Raleigh Egypt 76-71. Powell also had 4blks.

BTW, his confirmed offers by one of his summer AAU coaches:

"Right now I know that Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, Bradley, and SEMO have offered, I have heard that SLU has offered but I am not sure. I also know that he is getting strong looks from Missouri, Eastern Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri State, and Wichita State."

http://rameybasketball.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=8

... and I have these options, and I rank them, given the last two games, Saint Louis University is at the bottom of my list. Someone said in another thread (Clock_Tower) that the reason kids stay home at SLU is to be a "star" and program "rebuilder." With losses to teams like the Bonnies and the Dukes, we will always have that little nugget of a gem in our pocket almost every year.

Seriously, if I'm Leon and have future aspirations (as I'm sure they all do .. all high school basketball players), I'm off to a better program with more exposure and more team success. I don't care what the grades are, what the majors are, how pretty the girls are, how much beach front property the school has, what Hall of Famer is coaching it ... nope, its all about me and I'm looking out for Number One.

I apologize cowboy, i got ahead of myself that's next weekend. I'm sorry I ruined your day. Like I posted earlier it is was highland shootout and not the T of C. But please keep me posted on the events next weekend. Tell me how Powell does and give me your opinion if he can contribute next year at SLU. Also, I dont claim to be close to the program. I tell you what people tell me, just like everyone else passes along hearsay. As far as I know there are no prospects that post on this forum.

>Highland basktball shootout, my bad. I got confused, so

>what. They play a lot of high profile tournaments and

>classics. He outplayed Mo Miller, the number 1 player in

>Tennessee and that's the important part.

Dude, stop it...Maurice Miller, is a 6'0 to 6'1 at most point guard.(Georgia Tech) Perhaps we can all make a new rule that says if Powell comes to SLU he can post up 6'0 guards???

Now, if two players of similar size that play the same position guard each other...now that might be worth passing interest. Who knows maybe he'll get to play against kids his size next week at Bass Pro? After opening with St. Raymond's(who lost Fri to Christ the King, and before that St. Benedicts)..their first round matchup, they move on to better teams, with a size, albeit on the perimeter.

Then the V will get Lake Howelll Florida, who at least has a little size. Florida recruit Chandler Parsons is in that 6'7, 6'8 range, long and lean, but his game is like Mike Miller, Matt Bonner,....very tall point guard, or wing, faces basket. They do also have another point guard, Nick Calathes, another Florida recruit.

If the V can get past them, they get S Medford Oregon and Duke recruit Kyle Singler, a wing in typical Duke mode, tall, more of a mid-range deeper jump shooter, and growing...depending on opinions 6'8-6'10.

The rest of the teams aren't strong, Glendale, Rufus King...Raleigh Egypt is in it again, and has easy first game.

>>Highland basktball shootout, my bad. I got confused, so

>>what. They play a lot of high profile tournaments and

>>classics. He outplayed Mo Miller, the number 1 player in

>>Tennessee and that's the important part.

>

>Dude, stop it...Maurice Miller, is a 6'0 to 6'1 at most

>point guard.(Georgia Tech) Perhaps we can all make a new

>rule that says if Powell comes to SLU he can post up 6'0

>guards???

>

>Now, if two players of similar size that play the same

>position guard each other...now that might be worth passing

>interest. Who knows maybe he'll get to play against kids

>his size next week at Bass Pro? After opening with St.

>Raymond's(who lost Fri to Christ the King, and before that

>St. Benedicts)..their first round matchup, they move on to

>better teams, with a size, albeit on the perimeter.

>

>Then the V will get Lake Howelll Florida, who at least has a

>little size. Florida recruit Chandler Parsons is in that

>6'7, 6'8 range, long and lean, but his game is like Mike

>Miller, Matt Bonner,....very tall point guard, or wing,

>faces basket. They do also have another point guard, Nick

>Calathes, another Florida recruit.

>

>If the V can get past them, they get S Medford Oregon and

>Duke recruit Kyle Singler, a wing in typical Duke mode,

>tall, more of a mid-range deeper jump shooter, and

>growing...depending on opinions 6'8-6'10.

>

>The rest of the teams aren't strong, Glendale, Rufus

>King...Raleigh Egypt is in it again, and has easy first

>game.

I didnt know you had to be guarding a player to outplay them. He led his team a victory over a Georgia Tech recruit's team while scoring 31pts, and chipping in 15rebs. Anyway you say that, its a huge performance. Miller is a 4 star prospect headed for the big time in the ACC. He'd probably never heard of little old Leon Powell from Saint Louis. Well he definitely knows who he is now.

Profile on Miller

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...=33595#colleges

As your buddy Nate told you at the preps board...people want to see how Powell does with people at or near his size, at his position.

Your post left out the part that Miller had 20 points and is 6'0 to 6'1 and plays point guard. Your post is misleading to people who do not know.

>As your buddy Nate told you at the preps board...people want

>to see how Powell does with people at or near his size, at

>his position.

>

>Your post left out the part that Miller had 20 points and is

>6'0 to 6'1 and plays point guard. Your post is misleading

>to people who do not know.

I can see how you found that misleading. Also, I've been banned from the preps board since March 2005, so please tell me what you are referring to Nate saying on the preps board?

The only way that we will get better is if we get our recruiting going at high speed and you--a supposed fan--are posting on a supposed Billiken fan website that a recruit should not go to SLU. Nothing--and I mean nothing--can hurt the program more than this sort of outrageous comment.

The fact is that if powell is as good as advertised then SLU would be perfect for him because he could earn a starting position and play for 2 years with two local star players and help open the excellent new arena. You are nothing but a jerk!

since I live in Springfield and you know I'll watch Vashon. Quite frankly, I'm not optimistic because they drew a tough 1st round opponent from New York. I believe that New York team is a three-time champion.

>since I live in Springfield and you know I'll watch Vashon.

>Quite frankly, I'm not optimistic because they drew a tough

>1st round opponent from New York. I believe that New York

>team is a three-time champion.

They should beat the NY team(ST. Raymond's, Bronx)...though won't be walk in park, they will be expected to win, if they don't the consolation bracket is cupcake city...it is 2nd and third game of main draw as big challenges...vs FL, and then OR.....teams with size and balance, etc...something they don't usally face. I'd be disappointed if the V lost in first game and couldn't lace em up with at least one of these two.

Willard, Glendale, Rufus King....not strong, and will lose early.

>The only way that we will get better is if we get our

>recruiting going at high speed and you--a supposed fan--are

>posting on a supposed Billiken fan website that a recruit

>should not go to SLU. Nothing--and I mean nothing--can hurt

>the program more than this sort of outrageous comment.

>

>The fact is that if powell is as good as advertised then SLU

>would be perfect for him because he could earn a starting

>position and play for 2 years with two local star players

>and help open the excellent new arena. You are nothing but a

>jerk!

That is only half correct. Recruiting definitely needs major improvement. But coaching needs improving too. You act as if the coaching itself is not in question, and have never once questioned Soderberg's coaching. You would be the only one in the history of this board to do that. And many wonder if and when SLU does get all of these improved recruits and athletes etc...would BS be able to coach them. He admittedly said he reluctantly would push the ball more this year because he had better players...key word reluctantly. Once the recruiting level increases, then head to head how someone coaches during a game and has his kids prepared really gets interesting.

.... you should read the post before you comment .... I never said Leon should or should NOT go to SLU. What I said that is based on the last two games, if I were Mr. Powell, and believed that I was the next Michael Jordan (as I've said they ALL believe themselves to be) I'd sure as hell would put a program such as SLU at the bottom of my list. Now, #1) I'm not Leon Powell and #2) I never advocated going or not going to SLU. I said if I were he, "SLU would be at the bottom of my list."

I do feel all powerful, now that I know an "outrageous comment" like mine can hurt the program to the degree you seem to think it can. If Leon Powell, Mr. Missouri basketball, decides to base a life-altering decision on something some unknown, out-of-shape, overweight white guy says on some web-based piece of fluff, then these kids are even more fickle then I give them credit for. While I'm at it, let me try another one just to see how far I can go: Dear Mr. Bush, nuke Iran. Power tripping, bay-bee, power tripping.

You perform in public, you are measured in public. That's the way it goes. My original statement was not so much a call for Mr. Powell's college of choice, as much as it was an example of how and why kids make their choices. If its is true as Clock_Tower says, and kid stay home to rebuild and save this program, Mr. Powell can certainly chose that route. Of course, if anyone thinks they make that choice and will perform without public scrutiny, they are wrong. Brad's excuses have run out. He came in in a hole, we all knew that. We all said let him stock his shelves and let's hold judgement until then. Some have done that. But given losses to the dregs of this league, with another on the horizon (URI who just beat Dayton at home), the time has come to sh*t or get off the pot.

Some wonder why St. Louis kids don't stay home. Jeez .... you would have been the guy mixing the kool-aid for Jim Jones at Jonestown. Positive is one thing; unable to accept reality is another. Negative is one thing; unable to accept reality is another. If my comments are damning to the program, you inability to see the forest for the trees is equally damning.