From #10 to #258 in 2 Years

slufan13

Correct about Hinson, but the point is improvement from one year to the next can happen, even without an influx of talent. But if you rather have an example of a team that has improved from one season to the next following a coaching change without a major influx of talent, look no further than GMason. They were 223 rpi last year - now at 155 this season. That's the type of incremental improvement I'm talking about with better coaching. BTW, we are currently at 201 in the rpi. If Bishop continues to develop and MY is put in a more suitable role, the modest goal of getting around 150 (yes, sad that is now a goal) is not out of the question for the 2016-17 season. Yes, Waldman had to sit out a year and I would be thrilled if our new coach could land a similar impact transfer to help for 2017-18 season.

Interesting that RPI shows GM as that much better. On Kenpom they are 206 compared to 219 last year. SRS on Sports-Reference actually shows them as worse (-1.75 vs. -1.43) this year. Like SIU, they had a veteran star (Thompson) to build around and brought in a freshman point guard.

One thing missed about Majerus is the cred he had. We've all said it before --- a basketball savant, a basketball genius, a HOFer, a man with a system who recruited players that accepted it and him and fit that system, a Jesuit understanding, placement of players into the NBA, NCAA appearances, a Final Four, a history of doing just what this first post said he'd do. And he had his warts .. player turnover, uncouth behavior, bad personal health care. The point is you just can't reach up into the TV booth or studio and pluck another Majerus out of the air because a lot of what I've listed under his cred is not available in one package as it was with him. You want to talk about lightning striking with him.

I don't think there is anyone out there with that package .. not Lavin, not Greenberg, not Biancardi, not anyone. Everyone is a risk. Then again, so is the risk with a lower level coach and/or a high energy assistant. Soderberg had likable experience yet failed. Romar looked good and was at the time but parlayed a stroke a luck (Miracle in Memphis) to get back to his alma mater. I argue he would not have had that opportunity again given where his track record at SLU was going. No one has parlayed our gig into anything better, except the aforementioned Romar and maybe Randy Bennett. We hav eno lineage out here in the boonies, plying their trade and learning before their return to alma mater u. like Romar, like Matt Doherty (big crash and fail still) or like Chris Mack even. Like a Horace Broadnax could do if he returned from Savannah State to Georgetown.

No guarantees but the one --- keeping Crews around guarantees more folks bailing on the Bills then ever before. And it is true -- next year we trade Yacoubou for Moore. That alone is not an even trade. And with no progress this year by guys "getting older" single digit wins should be expected. Unless we play 20 OOC games against those team in the 320+ ranking and all at home.

For the sake of guys like Crawford/Agbeko/Reynolds/Roby I would love to see them have at least one decent season here. Considering when they signed, they have to be just as disappointed in the trainwreck as any fan.

Well, Crawford and Agbeko were freshmen during SLU's 2013-14 run — have a 1-1 record in the NCAA Tournament.

One thing missed about Majerus is the cred he had. We've all said it before --- a basketball savant, a basketball genius, a HOFer, a man with a system who recruited players that accepted it and him and fit that system, a Jesuit understanding, placement of players into the NBA, NCAA appearances, a Final Four, a history of doing just what this first post said he'd do. And he had his warts .. player turnover, uncouth behavior, bad personal health care. The point is you just can't reach up into the TV booth or studio and pluck another Majerus out of the air because a lot of what I've listed under his cred is not available in one package as it was with him. You want to talk about lightning striking with him.

I don't think there is anyone out there with that package .. not Lavin, not Greenberg, not Biancardi, not anyone. Everyone is a risk. Then again, so is the risk with a lower level coach and/or a high energy assistant. Soderberg had likable experience yet failed. Romar looked good and was at the time but parlayed a stroke a luck (Miracle in Memphis) to get back to his alma mater. I argue he would not have had that opportunity again given where his track record at SLU was going. No one has parlayed our gig into anything better, except the aforementioned Romar and maybe Randy Bennett. We hav eno lineage out here in the boonies, plying their trade and learning before their return to alma mater u. like Romar, like Matt Doherty (big crash and fail still) or like Chris Mack even. Like a Horace Broadnax could do if he returned from Savannah State to Georgetown.

No guarantees but the one --- keeping Crews around guarantees more folks bailing on the Bills then ever before. And it is true -- next year we trade Yacoubou for Moore. That alone is not an even trade. And with no progress this year by guys "getting older" single digit wins should be expected. Unless we play 20 OOC games against those team in the 320+ ranking and all at home.

Jamall Walker could fit the bill.

The best. He was a great ambassador for the university - not only had the national media connections, was also willing to be a guest on just about every two-bit local radio station promoting the school - from the education, to the band to the cheerleaders who I believe he referred to as the "Blue Angels."

The "situation" robbed him of a 4th team that would have made the Big Dance, but he deserves big time credit for guiding the program through that debacle. He could have easily bailed at that point, he didn't need the money or the headache. He stayed and laid the foundation for what was to follow the next three years.

If there is a positive about the current mess it is that the next coach will not have to follow a legend - which is typically difficult to do. The success wasn't that long ago - it show that you can be a ranked team at SLU and make some noise on the national level. Also, if the job was good enough for RM, it should be good enough to attract a quality coach.

I was initially of the belief that the current problem is 99% recruiting... I now believe a decent part of the problem has also been coaching (failure to establish an identity and develop players). Too many players have either regressed or remained stagnant. Don't get me wrong, this is not a talented roster, but it should not be THIS bad. A better coach could work with a few guys like JB, DR, MY and MN and start to get better results. But the real key long term will be recruiting. We can count on some departures, so the new coach should have some scholarships to use in the spring.

Hopefully the Prez/May/Chaifetz and whoever else is involved need to understand the importance of timing. Don't let this thing drag out like happened in the Biondi era. The NCAA selection show is Sunday, March 13. It seems a lot of programs either announce firings that night or the next day. That should allow plenty of time to get a new coach in place by end of March, which in turn would give the new coach the chance to immediately start recruiting for the spring signing period which typically begins in mid-April. Yes, not a lot of time to recruit, but any decent coach has good connections and brings with them assistants with good connections and contrary to what is often repeated on this board, there are some good players floating around in the spring, especially transfers.

Hate to think what Majerus could've done against an "overseeded" Oregon and up against Louisville with 9 minutes left.... Majerus recutis.... Majerus System.... Crews coach?

My that is scary, if coach Crews comes back, there were only a couple of fans on the last game GDT and I would be the only one left.

With a new coach I just want competitive games, Chaifetz becomes a tough place to win a game, and player improvement.

hahaha..Chaiftez used to be the place opponents got blown out

For some reason the stars aligned...thought it was a weird/overhyped hire at the time, but look what can happen

Just wondering: isn't that catastrophic fall in RPI pretty much unheard of?? I mean -- has any Top 10 team EVER fallen so far, so fast??

I'd be interested to know which teams have come close, but my guess is, hardly anyone. I think even falling out of the top 100 (from the top 10) is pretty lousy, but out of the top 200?!? From #10 to #258 in 2 years --- It may be unprecedented...

I'm not sure some guys on here recognize how lousy you have to be, to fall out of the top 200, 2 years running.

Just wondering: isn't that catastrophic fall in RPI pretty much unheard of?? I mean -- has any Top 10 team EVER fallen so far, so fast??

I'd be interested to know which teams have come close, but my guess is, hardly anyone. I think even falling out of the top 100 (from the top 10) is pretty lousy, but out of the top 200?!? From #10 to #258 in 2 years --- It may be unprecedented...

I'm not sure some guys on here recognize how lousy you have to be, to fall out of the top 200, 2 years running.

Oh we all realize it that is why everyone is calling for Crews to be fired.

Yes it is unprecedented. We can keep that along with The Record(lowest point total in shot clock era)

Hooray.