What's the story on Suggs

Bradenburg is listed at 6'11" 225#. I'm sure he'd play alot but think he would need to get stronger / bulkier before taking away the starting slot from Knollmeyer. Adam is a hoss. Would love to see JB come to SLU. Suggs would instantly solve our wing problems. Too bad he's class of 2008.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone, without slamming SLU, Brad, Biondi, Guy Phillips, etc., give an objective answer to the question of whether or not we have a legitimate shot at either of these guys? I thought that Brandenburg was pretty much out of the picture because he wanted to go away for school. Suggs, given his injury, may be a little off of some people's radars, but I have also heard that he is getting attention from the big time programs.

I think Eckerle (07), Soderburg (08) and a few others are more likely to come to SLU, but with the number of scholarships we have to give, we can obviously bring in a lot more players.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Just checked the schedule on STLToday - it has the game on February 6th. Can anyone clarify/confirm?

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

That's the way of this board. There is a specific group of posters and if they do not agree with you...LOOK OUT!!!

the only one of the underclassmen that have been reputed to have been at the "you are the future" meeting (suggs, brandenberg, soderberg, thompson and griffey) that has stated slu is his leader is brett thompson. of course one would assume that kramer is coming as long as coach soderberg is here as well.

we have heard that backup future local underclass star, femi john has been offered a scholarship as well.

other than that, i havent heard any other news of the class. maybe others can add insight.

I think we'll get Griffey.

1. His dad is a poster on this board

2. He know's he'll be a starter from day one and will get every shot at the NBA because he will get to take all shots at the position of his choice SF, PF, or C.

3. His dad is loyal. Everyone knew Ty was going to Lafayette years before he ever arrived on campus, because that's where they lived. Unless St. Louis gets another Div 1 school, I think Ty is coming to SLU.

4. SLU offered him before he ever played a high school game.

5. On campus arena

we have nothing to base that on. if we had read an interview on a scouting site where like thompson tyler made a "slu is my leader" comment i might agree.

imo, suggs is still the key. suggs likely brings them all with him.

There is an good article in Scott's hometown paper that talks about his return from the broken wrist and his recruiting. I will post the link as soon as they have it up on the web.

Some interesting stuff

According to Suggs' mother: he has offers from Saint Louis,Mizzou, SIUC, Washington, Purdue, Illinois, Florida, Virginia, Clemson, Bradley and Indiania State.

High level of interest from: Kansas, UNC, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Arizona, Nevada, Standford, Penn State, Connecticut, Boston College, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Tennesee, Georgia and Notre Dame.

Scott has made unofficial visits to Mizzou, Illinois, and Bradley

A quote from Scott-

" I think I'll be more like a combo guard in college, handling the ball a little and shooting a little. I like playing the point, but I think I like playing the two guard best."

Where'd you get that? The high level of interest is schools who are interested but haven't offered. He's been on the SLU campus numerous times according to several posters here. It's also been rumored that he wants to stay close to home. Everything that people have posted says we're on the same level as everybody else. But then again, i get all my info from thsi board.

Have to disagree with nate and agree with 3star here.

Brandenberg has tons of potential but he's not a SLU starter at this point and might not be his freshman year. It is a fallacy that Desmet does not play a style that fits Brandenberg, they do very much so. Brandenberg is a little too wired up, he's herky jerky in his motions in the post. He's very athletic for a kid so young and so tall, but he can't handle the ball and drive to the basket to utilize it. DeSmet has another post player, a chubby 6'6 kid who gets tons of touches in the paint. He gets touches cuz he has much better footwork, and much better touch on his shot. Brandenberg at this point can't shoot better than 30% on anything other than dunks. He is top 100 on potential. That said i'd love to have him. If he and Thompson come together brandenberg is probably Thompson's backup from day one till graduation. Unlike Brandenberg Thompson has footwork and clean moves around the hoop and can finish.

Knollmeyer is an entirely different kind of player. He is more like Frericks. Strictly a banger, bull in the china shop in the middle. AK not much of shot blocker either. He has some decent plodding moves, never gets out of control like Brandenberg can.

Thompson is very close to Ian in offensive skill. He has tons of move around the basket and decent touch. Decent not great defender. Not as physically strong as AK probably.

Brandenberg is the athletic one of three. He runs the floor very well and has the capability to be a shot blocking presence. He hasn't been taught interior defense all that well at DeSmet or for his AAU teams. He has to work on positioning, footwork, and inside shooting that AK and Thompson already have down. Brandenberg beats all of them with his athletic skills though. I don't know about Brandenberg starting but for SLU now but he could jump higher than any of our 5 or 4s on the roster and could beat them all down the court quite easily.

>I know how much you like Brandenburg Nate but his scoring is

>actually down from last year and his field goal percentage

>is surprisingly low for a player his size who rarely shoots

>outside of 7 feet. His rebounding has been just OK. Unless

>he really picks it up in the 2nd half of the year, he may

>have played himself out of top 100 status.

Last night would be a typical example of DeSmet playing a solid Troy team...Troy triple teamed Brandenburg the entire game. DeSmet's guards are not strong to feed him the ball, and Steiner needs to run more plays to him. He hasn't successfully developed him all that much. His development has been in summer ball. I know Dresler is no longer assisting Steiner, and it shows. DeSmet was down 3, not playing well at all in 4th quarter and lost by 13.

Brandenburg had terrific summer. He does not have a great supporting cast. His best teammate is an All American soccer player who plays hoops as second sport. Easily the worst fundamentally sound DeSmet team in long time..regressing in recent years. They don't have a point guard on the roster. Steiner sat him a long time in the game after he had hard foul on a Troy player. Steiner is a little soft and I couldn't believe how long he sat him.

So...with all that said, Brandenburg had a lot of nice shots go down and out...he has nice touch anywhere 12 feet in and free throws. He is still somewhat of a headcase at times...freaks out every once in a while, but he is long, soft hands, good passer, good rebounder, shot blocker, runs floor extremely well. Big men always take longer to develop. He is legit 6'11 and gets 1.5 yrs more of high school ball.

Also took another look at K Soderberg last night against a solid Webster team. Two 3 guard offenses going at it. Liked how KS got his points, because Wrickerson made him work for every one. He plays smart, extremely accurate from deep, off of pump fakes..shoots most of his shots top of key...still doesn't go left well, surprised he kept trying it late. If you leave him alone, he buries you. He deferred to teammates late in game in tight game. Doesn't turn it over or try to do too much. He was matched by Hanlen for Webster...though they didn't guard each other...KS guarded Hanlen, but Hanlen guarded others. KS lacks athleticism, and will find it tough going to create his own shot off dribble vs bigger more athletic guards. His handle isn't strong for major D-1, but that can improve. I think there is a place for him on the team, and as he gets a little stronger etc...would be a nice 3 year contributor, seeing his first year as a lot of bench time adjusting to the pace, and strength and size. He is already better than Polk...much different players of course. SLU would also need a bigger shooting guard and wing that can shoot. He knows how to win and competes every possesion, etc...best thing he can do is keep improving his ball handling. He didn't get to the line much against an equally matched Webster group. Hanlen does all of his scoring in transition to the basket or free throw line, did nothing in the half court. He would be another shoot first point guard...but if you can shoot like him and play as smart, that is okay...if he can improve some of the other areas...can see him being crafty enough at next level to get time.

>Have to disagree with nate and agree with 3star here.

>

>Brandenberg has tons of potential but he's not a SLU starter

>at this point and might not be his freshman year. It is a

>fallacy that Desmet does not play a style that fits

>Brandenberg, they do very much so. Brandenberg is a little

>too wired up, he's herky jerky in his motions in the post.

>He's very athletic for a kid so young and so tall, but he

>can't handle the ball and drive to the basket to utilize it.

> DeSmet has another post player, a chubby 6'6 kid who gets

>tons of touches in the paint. He gets touches cuz he has

>much better footwork, and much better touch on his shot.

>Brandenberg at this point can't shoot better than 30% on

>anything other than dunks. He is top 100 on potential.

>That said i'd love to have him. If he and Thompson come

>together brandenberg is probably Thompson's backup from day

>one till graduation. Unlike Brandenberg Thompson has

>footwork and clean moves around the hoop and can finish.

I'd agree with some of that...some I know think Brandenburg is a head case that won't figure it out...does some strange things at odd times, but then shows the great athleticism as well. I know he has been frustrating to plenty. But with all of that potential, if and when he figures it out, he would a big time player. Bigs always take longer to develop, and bigs with athleticism are tough to find.

No offense to any of the DeSmet brethren on the board but that is a school full of headcases. DeSmet's coach doesn't run a real disciplined program, consistently there are 12th guys off the bench for DeSmet who think they are Jordan. Brandenberg doesn't strike me as a headcase. He simply knows he is head and shoulders better than his teammates and they have the gall not to defer to him. He has inconsistencies in his game but I like his emotion on the court, too many guys are just smooth and refuse to play intensely. Brandenberg certainly doesn't fall into the mold of prima donnas like Ahearn and Keppel that DeSmet usually churns out. He has some fire in him though, which Baniak never did which caused him to backup a player with half his skill most of his college career.

That just shows you how important it is to win at home. Recruits see a winning team, hear the crowd and they realize that they can be part of it - right in their hometown! What a dream come true.

It will be interesting to see if Brad gives his son a scholarship as he has an avowed preference for big guards. Would be nice to have a fearless zone buster on the bench but I'd be surprised if he ever became a starter--5'10" 2 guard with inferior athleticism?