this is sad

billiken_roy

read this on the a-10 board. according to this site, saint louis university only outspends 4 other a-10 schools on the basketball budget. it also shows that we are 93rd of all d-1 programs.

i am not sure how slu thinks they can have a top 50 program if these numbers are correct. you get what you pay for.

http://www.midmajority.com/info.php?a=schools-hoopsbudget

than I sure hope people don't complain when the new ticket policy is introduced.

college athletics has right/wrong or indifferent become a game for the "have's/have not's." with our new facilities coming online soon, SLU will be leaving the "dark ages" for the friendly modern atmosphere of the 21st century.

many of the schools at the top of the list ask for and receive BIG dollars from their boosters.

our next 2 games are against interesting, yet very differing programs on and off the court - a have and a have not.

FIGHT ON!

tee what about the new ticket policy when the arena is opened dont you like?

personally i see no problem with asking boosters to be billiken club members for the better seats. and there will still be tickets in the arena that will not require that.

the sad part is that their have been ticket holders that havent been active boosters to any extent past buying season tix for too long.

The data is for the 2005 Fiscal Year and SLU does OK (93rd). While money spent is not the sole measure of support and does not take into account different prices/efficiency/etc. is does offer a little perspective. TMM created it to measure "cost per win" ( http://www.midmajority.com/info.php?a=schools-perwin ).

SLU is a huge underdog in the recruiting budget at 236th! For those commenting on recruiting success please use this for perspective. Thank you.

http://www.midmajority.com/school.php?s=SLU

I also think this is more evidence that we should all hope Brad is able to get the job done in making us a top 50 program. The money is just not in our budget to fire him and hire a sure thing type coach. This is a big reason I am one of the keep Brad around and give him time to get our program to the point where we are getting NCAA bids on a regular basis. While the SLU admin talks a good game, I just don't have a lot of faith that the money will be there to hire a Lowery or Hinson(or whatever other coach is hot then) away in the next year or two if Brad doesn't reach the NCAAs.

Biondi has talked on and on for years about building a top 50 program but he has never given the support needed to build such a thing.

The arena is a big step, but our budget must increase greatly if we want continued success. I doubt that will happen. Biondi will continue to go cheap. Until we see some changes regarding the budget I think Biondi deserves the brunt of criticism for lack of success with the basketball program not Brad.

slublue said,

"also think this is more evidence that we should all hope Brad is able to get the job done in making us a top 50 program. The money is just not in our budget to fire him and hire a sure thing type coach. This is a big reason I am one of the keep Brad around and give him time to get our program to the point where we are getting NCAA bids on a regular basis. While the SLU admin talks a good game, I just don't have a lot of faith that the money will be there to hire a Lowery or Hinson(or whatever other coach is hot then) away in the next year or two if Brad doesn't reach the NCAAs."

that is a great point. folks seem to think fire and hire is an easy answer, but as i have pointed out before at slu it only means we are starting over once again. no sure thing will come this cheap.

Biondi has his priorities right. He has improved academics, improved the campus, greatly expanded the business school, is building a first class bio research center, has significantly participated in rebuilding midtown, has a state of the art arena rising out of the ground, and is pretty much finished with an extemely ambitious capital campaign.

The idea that he has "never given the support needed to build" a top 50 program is not supported by the facts. This is a SCHOOL first. The academics are the primary priority. Athletics are secondary, yet we have several very successful athletic teams, including an 8-2 basketball team.

We all want a top 50 program. Hell, I want a top 25 program, but trying to tie our lack of success to Biondi is unfair.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

This definitely needs to improve. However, I would bet that the financial reporting is not compared apples-to-apples. It will also be interesting to see how the depreciation on the new arena affects SLU's statistics. I suspect that the depreciation on Marquette's new practice facility greatly affects their ranking.