What makes MoState tick

slu72

You look at their preseason write ups and their roster, other than Ahern nothing jumps out at you. They don't have a team of McD AA's and would guess not one of their players would be considered a high recruit. Hell, we figured BA wasn't good enough for us. Most are in state kids appearing to be from small hs's. They aren't loaded w/ height, in fact they play a 6'6" PF much like us. What's up w/ these guys? granted they all returned from last year, but are they an example of a coach making a great machine out of spare parts. And that's not intended as a knock on any of their players. Anyone know how they're accomplishing so much? They are ranked 27th in the country.

for not being a good coach. People down here have an over-inflated opinion of their program and expect to make the NCAA on a regular basis. They've been spoiled by the Spoonhour era.

I do think Hinson is underrated, but he's not a great coach. He's benefited from having a very good backcourt. They had a really good JUCO point guard last year, Thompson, who ran the team very well. Everybody's role was well-defined and they have a decent system. That will enable you to compete in many conferences.

This year, they have more than replaced their floor leader with Spencer Laurie, who I thought would be a much better scorer. However, he's embraced his role as a play-maker and is content with making Ahearn the primary scorer. I think he's an upgrade from Thompson. Chaney is very underrated. He's a great athlete and strong defender. He's the glue that keeps the team together. As for their post play, they're blue-collar and give out 100%.

Only because this game is in St. Louis, do I think the Billikens have a chance. SLU would have NO chance if this was in Springfield. This is the best Missouri State team that they've had since the Spoon era. However, it still will only be good enough for 3rd or 4th place in the MO Valley.

I've been meaning to ask you this since you live in the heart of MVC land and made a comment earlier that you thought the MVC would regress after this season. So the stat we've heard was that 38 of the 50 starters from last year's MVC teams all returned, which is a very high number and explains how they've been able to improve on last year's success. Do you happen to know how many of this year's 50 starters are seniors?

"They said they only have one goal, they want to get into the NCAA Tournament. I asked them if it would be a failure if they didn't, and they said yes it would be a failure if they didn't do it."

Brad Soderberg - 12/16/06

Very good post. Bear fans do expect more from the program and Barry has taken a lot of criticism over the last few years. I don't know if I'd call Barry a great coach. He's a fine recruiter as its taken him a little to come into his own. Our starting lineup will be 5 guys all from the state of Missouri and I give Barry kudos on keeping talent in state..or at least some of it.

The only thing I don't agree with is that this is the best Bears team since the Spoon days. I think this is the best team since 1998-99, when the Bears went to the Sweet 16. That was a great team that was very good.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the number. I actually follow MVC basketball more during conference play in January through March. Purely unscientific, but it looked like when I perused the programs of teams last year that many of the best players were juniors. That's why I wasn't surprised that the MVC was duplicating their success this year.

While the publicity they received from their run in the NCAA will help, I just don't think it'll be good enough to attract top recruits. Everything in the MVC is on a lesser level than at high-major programs in terms of facilities and resources. It's just hard to compete with that.

The one thing that has impressed me in recent years about SMS and SIU is that their "role" players always seem to play well. They do "the little things." We really need guys like DP, Luke and JJ to bring it consistently for us. If that happens, I like our outlook for this season.

>You look at their preseason write ups and their roster,

>other than Ahern nothing jumps out at you. They don't have a

>team of McD AA's and would guess not one of their players

>would be considered a high recruit. Hell, we figured BA

>wasn't good enough for us. Most are in state kids appearing

>to be from small hs's. They aren't loaded w/ height, in

>fact they play a 6'6" PF much like us. What's up w/ these

>guys? granted they all returned from last year, but are they

>an example of a coach making a great machine out of spare

>parts. And that's not intended as a knock on any of their

>players. Anyone know how they're accomplishing so much? They

>are ranked 27th in the country.

Let's put it this way. If SLU ONLY worries about Blake Ahearn, then they will lose. The difference about this team is that it can make substitutions and not lose anything. The depth is outstanding. Actually, at Letsgobears, we were worried about too much depth before the season began.. hah. But the different combinations of players available, especially with not losing much inbetween substitutions, makes for a constantly fresh and very good shooting team. I.E. It's not only Blake that can hit the three; Shane Laurie, Spencer Laurie, Dale Lamberth, Tyler Chaney, and even Nathan Bilyeu can hit the three as well (Those are the ones you'll most likely see play anyways, Fuehrmeyer doesn't play too much).

It should be a good game.

I haven't seen Missouri State but from what I've read and seen on the Mizz st forum:

-They take what you give them, they aren't a team to force things offensively and beat themselves by changing how they do things.

Besides Ahearn and Laurie(s):

-Tyler Chaney is this team's Liddell, good rebounder, passer, and so far accurate shooter this year, passive offensively too. Someone posted that he's the team's best wing defender.

-Nathan Bilyeu seems like a glue guy at PF, willing to post up and draw contact (watch out IV/Meyer). Undersized, 'Luke Meyer' with more size?

-Drew Richards is a foul prone big guy, can't shoot FTs (hack-a-shaq?), seems to be able to score in the bost and has decent hands. His rate of personal fouls seems to limit minutes.

-Deven Mitchell is a foul prone forward who worries me most as an 'X' factor about this team. He can score, generate contact, rebound well both offensively and defensively, generates a lot of steals, played really well in big games against Wisconsin/Okla St.

Matchup wise with Chaney and Deven Mitchell, coming off the bench, in the game at some point, who is Liddell covering and who is taking on the other player?

I imagine Lisch will be on Ahearn, Polk on Laurie, IV against Richard, and Meyer and Bilyeu.