Give Texas A&M some credit

DoctorB

The Texas/Duke game is not a fair comparison. Texas is SIGNIFICANTLY more talented then us. They lost by 31, not 40. They scored 66 points, we scored 33. And they had beaten Iowa and WV prior (slightly better then Lamar and Quincy).

Texas also plays in the Big 12, so even if they lay an egg one game, they can easily rebound with enough quality wins against good conference teams. SLU plays in the A-10. Any loss in the conference is a bad loss for us in the Committee's eyes.

And why don't we take a look at the body of work.

Zero NCAA Tournaments in the past 6 years. Pretty fair to judge on that. I'm sorry I don't settle for medicority, ala Nashivlle and Sshoe. This game will also drive TONS of fans away (except the for the UNC game). I'm not writing off the season, we'll have a nice cozy second round exit in the NITs this year. And for some of you on this board, you'd be just pleased with that result.

That's not the point. We know Texas is a good team. That makes our point even stronger. Texas lost by 40. But by your logic, there is no way at that point they can be a tournament team, because they lost by 40. The reason why people aren't making this the end of the world is because games like this can happen, even to good teams, ala' Texas. So when I talk about looking at the body of work, I'm not trying to compare SLU to Texas, but I'm trying to suggest let's wait until at least January before we decide if this is a team that could go to the tournament, which you declared already impossible after 4 games. So I stand by my earlier statement, "Snap judgements abound on this board."

How many sub-40 point performances and 30 point losses are you going to accept before you get upset?

You have one heck of a tolerance for atrocious basketball if you can have patience after a game like this. Please teach this sort of blind optimism to the other 95% of rational people who would have lost a significant amount of confidence about a team after a 33 point effort.

YOu don't think I'm upset. Of course I am. I wanted to win this won and put us on the map. Instead we got spanked and it was a major hit to my confidence in this team. But, I also realize that CBB is a strange game and teams can generally be good, but have crappy games from time to time. IF that weren't the case, we wouldn't have major upsets in the NCAA tourney each year, Oral Roberts beating KU, or ODU beating Georgetown. Does that mean KU or Georgetown aren't good teams? Certainly not. They just had rough nights. It's the nature of college basketball and it's also what makes it so great.

If you don't like the Texas comparison, may I present you with the 98 SLU team with Hughes who got spanked on national TV at home by Cincinnati, but still managed to make the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament two months later.

I still feel this is a good team despite an awful performance last night. But if in two months we're .500 and the only teams we've beaten are the ones we were supposed to beat and we continue to get drubbed by our tougher opponents, then yes I will concede at that point we're not a good team.

I certainly hope that this SLU team will rebound like the 98 SLU team. I believe Brad was thoroughly embaressed by his team's effort and should seriously give the team one heck of a beating in practice (I would expect nothing less).

I believe to regain the respect of anyone outside this board, SLU needs to THUMP solid mid-major teams like SIU and Missouri State by 20 points, beat UNC, and finish with at least 21 wins. Then and only then will we make the tourny.

"I'm sorry I don't settle for medicority..."

Are you kidding? That is exactly what you do. You are eating up mediocrity. You're name even says it. We are in no way accepting this as mediocre, which is why we are all pissed to high heaven. You're completely satisfied with the state of the team. "We can't compete with the top 25", "we're not Texas"...sounds to me like you are pretty confident in those statements...yet you follow the team anyway? I mean, you say the team is mediocre, the coach is mediocre, the fans are mediocre....yet you're still here. Sounds like YOU are settling.

Well, we aren't content with that. We feel we ARE a good team. A team that CAN compete on a national level. And we will fight to do that. But feel free to sit around and tell anybody who will listen just how mediocre the team is. Great stuff.

LOL...i'd like you to try.

I've posted that yesterday was "pathetic", "embarrasing", "look like high school team". Ya know, all phrases that mean i expect better. Yet, you say i settle for mediocrity?

You post that we can't make the tournament. We can't compete at a national level. We can't beat a top 25 team. Shall I go on? Sounds to me like you have low expectations of this program and team. Not sure how that is baseless, but hell, if it shuts you up, then I accomplished my goal.

Not that it matters, but I can testify the Realistic is a true first time poster. He was alongside me for every game in the BC for the last 4 years. I can understand his rage, sometimes you just can't hold it in anymore.

Finally, we get the change to see a team that we feel has a real chance to be great, and they throw out one of the most disgusting performances in the last four years. It is a tough pill to swallow, no?

I for one think the Bills should go file a complaint for domestic disturbance against the Texas AM kids who thoroughly beat them up and down last night.

Read your own posts.

Does it matter if you are pissed and you rant on Bills.com. No it really won't affect the next game in any way. What I think won't either ... so I am going to forget this, hope and hope we play better in the next one.

Wait a minute .... are you one of the guys that holds them accountable?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

jibo,

Sitting ringside and watching A&M for three games.....one would have to be impressed with their size, strength, skills and depth. If A&M is on their A-game they will be hard to beat. Granted the competition last weekend in College Station was not significant, but that didn't take away from seeing A&M's size and skill.

Against Lamar, A&M hit their first nine shots and were up 11-0, 25-2 and 30-5 in the first half. A&M came out in a funky mood against La Tech and were only up 36-28 at half-time. Unfortunately, SLU did not catch A&M's only funky start, they caught A&M's A-game.

If there are three or four Texas A&M like teams in the A-10 this year, then SLU has a problem. If there are no Texas A&M like teams in the A-10 this season....then I'll take my chances!

I am not sure how highly regarded Law and Jones were as recruits or their upperclassmen as a whole, but A&M is going on three straight top 20 recruiting classes. Their 2005 class was 9th, 2006 class was 17th, and their 2007 class is ranked 14th-best in the country. Gillespie has really turned A&M into an elite program.