Stars aligned for SLU Soccer????

courtside

In a gritty effort, and good game according to my people at the game...UNC Greensboro 2 West Virginia 1 Final double OT. This means IF SLU can beat Northwestern, they get another home game vs UNC Greensboro in the round of 16.

It was a very good West Virginia's FIRST home loss all year.

It gets better. SMU is LOSING with less than 30 minutes left, getting outplayed at home ..2-1 to UCSB(God love the Gaucho)

SMU is the #1 seed in SLU's region, West Virginia was the #2 seed in SLU's region.

If, IF IF IF....The Gauchos hang on....and SLU defeats Northwestern, then UNC Greensboro at home, YOUR 2006 SLU Billikens would have yet another home game to then go to Final Four...which is played at SLU.

SMU game is NOT a final yet...and I am sure I jinxed it for this post.

But this is beyond imagination at this point. Head to Vegas, bet it all if SMU loses. Too many stars aligned.

SLU MUST beat Northwestern tomorrow in a VERY even matchup that many are calling a pick'em, just to get UNC Greensboro at home this weekend. I give SLU a slight edge myself. One step at a time.

It's a final:

University of California at Santa Barbara 3 SMU 1

Despite committing a whopping 25 fouls too.

So as stated above SLU gets Northwestern tomorrow in 2nd round.

If SLU wins, they get UNC Greensboro also at home in round of 16.

If SLU wins that, they will get the winner of ODU and UCSB, at SLU, because SLU is only remaining seeded team.

SLU was #3 seed in their region. SMU was #1 seed in region followed by West Virgina.

SLU hasn't had home field like this in a LONG time. And as any soccer fan knows, ANYTHING can happen once a team reaches the Final Four. It would be quite a site for SLU to play in front of 10kplus on campus with lots of national attention.

Still gotta win the games against good teams, but the opportunity is golden.

As also stated above, Northwestern can play, as can UNC Greensboro who was picked a lot higher pre-season and had disappointing season...well not anymore.

SLU could lose to Northwestern with no shame, but a large opportunity just came about.

Man, I thought my night was pure shite when I drove all the way out to SLU, hoping against hope that the distant lack of lights shining at the stadium was just a malfunction. But lo and behold, I learned my lesson....check the damn slubillikens.com site prior to heading out to watch soccer in the rain and muck.

But, to get on here and read courtside's post and then see that SMU lost...wait..better check that first....yep...SMU loses 3-1. UCSB had 16 shots to SMU's 8 and that was at SMU. Also, New Mexico loses 3-1 to California. North Carolina loses to Old Dominion 1-0 (well that's in the 90th minute). WVA loses. Man, WTF?

Lesson: don't overlook the game at hand even when you're the number one ranked team in the land...that's you SMU. This is a whole other season; it takes more than a 17-0 record or 5 All-Americans to win now.

I don't care what the weather is tomorrow or what you have to do at work. Get your ass to the game people. Suck it up. Rally behind these guys and help them through every bad pass, missed shot, hard tackle, bad first touch ...just for that beautiful moment when the net flutters in the air and comes back to comfort a ball put in by the Billikens.

This is awesome, I was hoping for a SLU v. SMU matchup so I could go to the game here in Dallas. Last time I went SLU beat SMU but then SMU went on that tear and won out all the way to the final 4 last season. However, this is even better great opportunity for SLU but they gotta' take it one game at a time. Is this extra motivation to play tough in the next game or a distraction? I would think it is extra motivation to win and make it all the way.