Horace and Obi

ACE

It looks like Obi and Horace have put up some nice numbers, albeit against weak competition. For those who have seen them in game action, do you think that combo will be able to get the job done at the 4? How many minutes do you think they will get?

YES! I would much rather have them at the 4 than Luke and I mean right now not just half way through the season, as will probably happen given Brad's penchant for choosing experience over talent. e.g. KL not starting at the beginning of last year.

I might be in the minority on this board, but I am not impressed with Obi at all. How can you be that out of shape? Seriously, he has man boobs. He had two years to prepare to play. I just don't see him doing much against better competition. He can't jump and has a hard time getting up and down the floor. I think any type of athletic four will eat him alive. He does have a nice touch from the outside and some obvious potential with his shot. But Obi isn't the answer at four for this season - maybe down the road. He really needs to get in shape.

I see a lot more potential in Dixon. He needs to get thicker, but he can jump and is very athletic and seems to defend pretty well. I like his athletic ability much better.

So I'm just not sold on Obi. I never thought I would say this, but I would rather have Justin Johnson in there.

Well it seems to me I recently read/heard where Brad said in an interview that he expected Obi to be starting sometime this year so he must see something you don't. I really don't care if the players look like Greek gods - I don't discount it - all I care about is what they do the floor. I will not due to being out town be able to see the Bills play until the Houston home game so I will be very interested to see Obi and Horace play then.

I am very impressed with Obi. The kid has basketball skills. I do agree that he is badly out of shape and is probably best suited to coming off the bench. I think he would have a hard time making the first media time out in a fast paced game. He might play a little better as players become a little worn out. I do want to move Luke out of the 4 spot no matter what. It's too bad JJ got hurt because that would have been the best solution. I don't think Brad is ready to trust Dixon ,but he can sure rebound. Reminds me a lttle of Dennis Rodman in that he's very quick off the floor.

In looking at those two, there are certainly current issues with both, but they both have in my mind "high ceilings".

Horace's skills are not quite honed, but man is he athletic. He'll help us this year (if he gets the minutes) because he is a pure rebounder, which is the #1 thing we need out of the 4. Defensively he brings a lot to the table, and his offense would be dependant upon how well he hits the offensive boards

Obi has more skills and you have to be blind not to see it. He's got a really soft touch on his jumper, nice moves, good hands. But he's still quite round, which hinders his athletic ability. He's also still working his way into the offense and getting comfortable out there. Take off 15 to 20 lbs and I think we've got a real stud on our hands. Even with the weight he made some very nice moves and a fairly flashy putback. At the very least, Obi will help us this year off the bench, but I think by January, he has a chance to be our starting 4.

However it's generally hard to judge against a team like Harris Stowe so these observations could certainly be bunk.

I have a question - granted I can only go by the box score from last night but here is what I saw: Luke - 22 min. 8pts 1 asst 2 rbds. Polk - 21 min 8 asst 1 rbd 0 pts Obi - 13 min 10 pts 4 rbds 1 asst Horace - 10 min 7 rbds 8 pts 0 asst. Polk's play looks pretty similar to Luke's if you give him credit for the 8 assts. Take the 13 and 10 min played by Obi and Horace and you get about the same playing time as Luke but they as a combo produced 18 pts compared to Lukes 8, same number of assists, and 11 rebounds to Luke's 2. Now I know some would say that Horace and Obi were playing at the end of the game when it was over and the other team was tired and whatever else - granted. My point though is I am not so sure that a combo of Obi and Horace may not be better in the long run than playing Luke at pf. Even Brad said that he wants Luke to come off the bench and to have someone(s) to dislodge him as a starter. It will be curious to see if this trend continues and how long it takes for this to happen. By the way, this does not even factor in the return of JJ and Adam.

I think I agree with what you are saying.Brad said on his pre game show that he was going to keep an eye on Obi,with the purpose of giving him more time. I actually think replacing Polk in the starting lineup will occur first. I don't know how you keep Danny out of the lineup. As S-Shoe said don't forget they played against HS. Most of their time was against HS's bench and Obi and Dixon had physical superiority. Quincy will be a better test and they both earned more time.

>I have a question - granted I can only go by the box score

>from last night but here is what I saw: Luke - 22 min. 8pts

> 1 asst 2 rbds. Polk - 21 min 8 asst 1 rbd 0 pts Obi -

>13 min 10 pts 4 rbds 1 asst Horace - 10 min 7 rbds 8

>pts 0 asst. Polk's play looks pretty similar to Luke's if

>you give him credit for the 8 assts. Take the 13 and 10 min

>played by Obi and Horace and you get about the same playing

>time as Luke but they as a combo produced 18 pts compared to

>Lukes 8, same number of assists, and 11 rebounds to Luke's

>2. Now I know some would say that Horace and Obi were

>playing at the end of the game when it was over and the

>other team was tired and whatever else - granted. My point

>though is I am not so sure that a combo of Obi and Horace

>may not be better in the long run than playing Luke at pf.

>Even Brad said that he wants Luke to come off the bench and

>to have someone(s) to dislodge him as a starter. It will be

>curious to see if this trend continues and how long it takes

>for this to happen. By the way, this does not even factor

>in the return of JJ and Adam.

I would say those stats are a little misleading due to the time periods of the game. Obi and HD played the bulk of their minutes towards the end of the game when at that point things had gotten completely out of hand for Harris Stowe and their defense became non-existent. So in a sense those stats were more "garbage stats". I mean Wendell had 5 pnts in 4 minutes of garbage time. Does that mean he'll put up 20 with 20 minutes of PT?

But I generally agree with you and suggest we not take away completely what those two did just because of when their minutes came. When most of our starters had already sat down, those two dominated the play.

I don't see that as out of line. If he's out a few more weeks and Brad anticipates using mostly the other 3 then that's probably the best bet. But, based on earlier reports (and I haven't seen him play so I base this only on other's insights) he was the most ready to play this year out of the 3 freshman pfs. If that's true, I imagine Brad would like to have him available.

I still think redshirting Adam is not the best option. We should be encouraging him to play since we don't know how the pf situation will ultimately work out. The more competetion the better. He still has 4 years with us and we ought to be able to recruit a replacement to that position during that time.

Obi has very refined skills and a very nice touch on the offensive end. He is not supremely athletic but can be a very effective scorer. The issue is that he is out of shape and still a bit slow. With better conditioning and a little more experience he will be a very nice option on the offensive end. I love his release on his shot because it is classic and produces a soft bounce.

Horace is a young stallion--fast with a lot of potential. He is a leaper who can be a very good rebounder and when he gets a little more bulk and more experience he could be really tough. he made several shots last night--one on a fast break in stride that was very nice.

Overall, these two young men seem to have some real potential and I would bet they will play this year. Obi may be a little more advanced because of his scoring ability but I would guess that HD will come on fast. Once we have JJ and AK it will be a real challange for the coaching staff to decide who to play. One thing I have noticed about Brad since he has been here is that his initial decision is to play the more experienced player but he will change his mind based upon performance.

Against big teams I could see a lot of minutes with TL and KL at the guards, Luke or Danny at the 3, and a combination of our big guys at the 4 and 5. We are much better at the four than we were last year, particularly if JJ is playing much better as has been reported because he is big and strong and can play with the big guys.

This is why I love college basketball because there are always so many variables! Except when Larry and LeBron are playing a lot of the NBA games are boring. I do not think the Bills will ever be boring this year!!!!!!!

>B, I said this two weeks ago and was blasted for suggesting

>such a combination. Play both at the four and redshirt

>Knollmeyer.

I actually think that idea has a lot of merit. Adam is already going to miss about a month or more of the season. JJ will be back to go along with HD and Obi. Also, we will have other options based on match-ups - we can go with Bryce and Ian or Luke and Ian in small doses.

I haven't seen Knollmeyer, but I think it might make sense to have him redshirt so he's not in the same class as HD and Obi and so he can start his career next year with a full healthy season. Also, maybe he can be groomed to help take over for Ian at the 5 next year. Perhaps he could develop into a more skilled Tom Frericks.

I know it's a different injury all together, but doesn't LM's injury situation from the past provide some further support for this argument?

I agree with giving the red shirt idea some legs. We are not talking about a blue chip recruit that was going to be the ultimate difference maker.

Between Obi,JJ,and HD we will be fine at the 4. Then as a last resort LM at the 4. The above players body types all match up well with the other 4's on our schedule this year. I would also suggest that Obi will improve quickly the more clock he gets. It also positions AK for a monster Senior year (5th year senior). The fifth year senior option is how many of the most successful D1 programs remain so successful.

we are certainly better than last year-even LM is bigger, stronger-but will he continue to bang the rim instead of the boards? I'd like to see HD get half of LM minutes and OBI and JJ

get half of the game minutes; it is too bad we do not have a second Polk so we could play

agressive defense and man game like Spoon used to do against Grawer's teams; Polk adds speed and interest and his shot looked better he just has to keep shooting and ask TL how to

see the middle of the ring-boy is TL improved or what. Ian is smooth and KL is a tiger