Waring School sale investigated?

BillsWin

Let's see-- he voted on something in his capacity as a member of the Board "without having all the facts." Is he admitting, then, he has acted in breach of his fiduciary duty in his capacity as a Board member by not carefully reviewing all of the facts before taking action on a matter? Or, is he alleging he was intentionally misled?

A previous Haas e-mail to the Superintendent of Schools, submitted without comment, but as a link only, since I'm sure Steve's naughty-word filter would go nuts with the actual text:

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/webextra/20...ture_email.html

Also submitted without comment: Mr. Haas has an English degree from Yale and a law degree from Harvard. Aside from the unpaid position on the school board, he has part-time jobs at Harris-Stowe and at the Chesterfield Valley Wal-Mart. (I can vouch for the Wal-Mart: I shop there regularly and have seen him. Don't know about what he does at Harris-Stowe.)

P-D, 12/13/96

'Bill Haas, a candidate for the Democratic mayoral nomination in St. Louis known in past races for his glib comments and lack of political support, has a new gimmick.

Over the past week, he says, he has run personal ads in the Post-Dispatch, Riverfront Times and Suburban Journals seeking "a financially secure wife" to help finance his mayoral campaign.

"Even though I won't marry someone unless we're in love, it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich woman as a poor woman," he said in an interview. "Who knows who might respond?"

Haas, 52, of the Central West End, said the ads began running last week but as of Tuesday afternoon he had yet to get an answer. He says he's serious about seeking a mate - and raising money for his campaign.

He says he deployed about $125,000 in his winnings from the Illinois Lottery on his unsuccessful race for St. Louis mayor in 1993 and has spent about $2,600 on cable TV ads and bus signs for his current race. However, he says he can't afford the half-million dollars he needs to run an all-out TV ad campaign.

Haas describes himself in the Post-Dispatch ad as a "moderate Democrat, attractive, smart, fearless" and as an "irrepressible underdog" who is faithful to constituents and romantic partners. He also says he is "very dangerous" - a reference, he says, to what he says is his "feisty" political style. The ad says that he will consider moderate Republican women, too.

Haas says he's never been married. In 1992 he was in St. Louis County Circuit Court in a case involving support for a child born out of wedlock. Haas says he pays monthly support for a 7-year-old son.'

P-D, 2/7/01

'Haas, 56, was born in Cleveland. He says he grew up in a "Jewish household" and went to Yale University after the coach told him they wanted a Jewish boy on their swim team. In 1966, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in English. That same year, he began attending Harvard Law School.

It took him longer to get his law degree because during the Vietnam War he enlisted in the VISTA Volunteer program, a domestic peace corps, to avoid being drafted. He volunteered for VISTA from 1968 until 1970 in Detroit.

After Haas completed his law degree at Harvard in 1972, he entered the world of corporate law in Cleveland. He worked for real estate development companies - DeBartolo Corp. and Jacobs Brothers. Jacobs Brothers used to own the Cleveland Indians and helped redevelop downtown Cleveland.

Haas made his first run for public office in 1981 - for the Cleveland School Board. He lost. He ran for Cleveland City Council in 1988 - and lost.

That same year, Haas moved to St. Louis. He began working as a corporate lawyer for Thermadyne Corp. in Clayton. Three years later, he was laid off.

In 1992, Haas threw his hat in the ring for St. Louis Circuit Attorney. Dee Joyce-Hayes beat him. A year later, he ran as an independent for St. Louis mayor. Again, in 1997, he ran for mayor but this time as a Democrat. He lost that bid, too. But months later, he won his seat on the St. Louis School Board.

He ran unsuccessfully in 1998 for state representative, as a Democrat, and last fall for Congress to replace William L. Clay, who was retiring.

Controversial ideas

It's been on the School Board where Haas' numerous - and often controversial - ideas have earned attention.

He successfully passed a board resolution to try to combat AIDS and teen pregnancy through sex education, abstinence and the free distribution of condoms. As a result, a task force was formed that outlined gay and lesbian rights for students, revised the district's sex and health education programs, set up a citywide AIDS task force and called on the city's health department to offer sex education and contraception information.

"It was controversial even to talk about," Haas said. "But, what's good about me is that I'm not afraid to talk about controversial issues. It was long overdue."

Haas has criticized Harmon for what Haas calls his lax attention to the city schools - using a colorful phrase.

"I got in a little controversy for once saying that ... so I won't repeat that," Haas said before repeating it. Then, he added, that Harmon couldn't figure out how to "pour piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel."

As much as Haas loves his role on the School Board, it didn't pay the bills. He now teaches English composition at Harris-Stowe State College, St. Louis Community College at Forest Park and East Central College in Union. He also works for Wal-Mart in Chesterfield.'